1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Mar 6, 2022.

?

How many on the current roster (15 man) will be there to start the 2023 season?

Poll closed Oct 6, 2022.
  1. 1 - Keep Sengun, everyone else is trash

1.1%
  2. 2-5 - Most of our guys need to go

18.3%
  3. 6-10 - Major house cleaning

37.6%
  4. 11-12 - Need 3-4 pieces

36.6%
  5. 13-14 - One or two new guys ought to do it

4.3%
  6. All of them. We aint gettin' rid of nobody

2.2%
  1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I just don’t get why you are so absolute in your assessment especially when the guy is only 26 and especially when we are talking about a skill that can be improved upon. Rajon Rondo was a poor shooter but developed a better shot after 8 or so years in the league. So did Rox legend Trevor Ariza. I don’t understand these absolute numbers you have arbitrarily come up with. We aren’t talking about him developing into an offensive juggernaut. We are simply talking shooting, which players can improve upon as evidenced by players i mentions and several others.

Players can always improve shooting. Tate plays great man defense if you haven’t been watching the past two years. Hustle is something you just can’t teach. Tate just knows how to make winning plays. By you blaming one player tells me you don’t understand the team concept and basketball in general. Tate isn’t a volume scorer or elite player. He just plays elite defense and makes great winning plays. This has been evidenced in the film tape. There really isn’t any argument that can be made against his defense.

You are stuck on his stats plateauing but remember Nash played 5 years before becoming a star. Multiple serviceable players like jae crowder had worse numbers before achieving consistency. Not sure what you expect him to be. If shooting and a couple mistakes is what your argument rests on then it’s really weak. Relax be patient and let’s not write people off so soon.

Phamilton82 likes this.
  2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i would put it at extremely high probability that Wood gets traded this offseason. I’m glad the rockets won’t be looking at extending Tate or KPJ till next offseason. It’s crazy that if we don’t resign Wood, Gordon and KPJ we could have almost enough space for two max level all stars in 2023.

saleem and Phamilton82 like this.
  4. i3artow i3aller

5. i3artow i3aller

6. Phamilton82

Phamilton82 Member

I love Tate and I think he's an integral part of this team moving forward. I don't see him as a starter yet until he's a more consistent 3pt shooter which I have every reason to believe he will be. He clearly constantly works on his game and he's that dawg that they need out there on the court. He definitely needs to be part of this team.

Stephen_A likes this.
  7. Phamilton82

Phamilton82 Member

I agree Wood is gone and I'm interested in seeing the return they get for him. Gordon is also a goner as he can still helping a team in a win now mode. It looks like I'm in the minority in wanting to keep KPJ. From what I've seen from him at 21 years old I can only imagine with a little more maturing and game experience what he'll look like at 24 or 25 years old. He has other worldly potential that I'm willing to see out.

The team needs a big. Someone that's going to consistently protect the rim and grab rebounds. I'm thinking a guy like Jakob Poeltl would be perfect for this team as a nice low key signing.

Shark44 and Aruba77 like this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Need hardenstein once the rockets are win now mode. The trick is what happens if you pick up hardenstein?? You’re automatically in win now mode. So pick him up, the rim will be protected and the rebounds will be grabbed.

9. Aruba77

l agree on the talent with KPJ, just not necessarily as our starting point guard. To really shine he has to have the ball in his hands and take people off the dribble. I think that really takes away from Green’s game. Also too many turnovers. I have no problem putting the ball in his hands leading a second unit, but I just don’t like him playing the vast majority of his minutes next to green. I think we’ll ultimately need to decide if we are gonna commit to KPJ or Christopher in that 6th man role because neither are point guards in my opinion.

10. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I agree. I’ve been crystal balling this for like a year but keep getting told no one wants to come play for the Rockets.

“What disgruntled star are we going to get? Jalen Green sucks, no one wants to play with him… if we drafted MoBlEy we’d be a premier destination.”

HOU might be elite soon.

matchesmalone likes this.
  11. Aruba77

anyone have the highlights of this conversation?

jch1911 likes this.
  12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3237187/2022/04/08/rockets-offseason-john-wall-salary-cap/

The Rockets’ 2021-22 campaign comes to an end on Sunday, and there have been a number of things to think about in the last few weeks. For this week’s IkoSystem, I decided to open my notebook and share what’s been in my head concerning this team, the rebuild and the future.

• With the final week of the regular season upon us — and the Rockets headed for an early offseason — I think it’s appropriate to start looking ahead to the summer and the different financial directions this franchise can go. As it stands, Houston is operating over the cap (about $18.8 million this season and 19.7 million in 2022-23, per Spotrac projections) barring any trade to someone on the roster making significant money — like a John Wall or Eric Gordon. How much does that matter to a team in the midst of a rebuild, though?

Financial flexibility is always the name of the game, especially for a Rockets front office that is traditionally aggressive, but the current development arc adds another angle. In any case, the Rockets still will have options at their disposal to make moves, should they feel the need to do so. They’re over the cap but under the tax; their full non-taxpayer midlevel (around $10.35 million) and their bi-annual exception (around $4.05 million) will be available to spend on free agents if they choose to go that route.

• The Kevin Porter Jr. extension question is interesting — not necessarily the question of whether he deserves one or not, but the timing. There’s no denying he’s developed under head coach Stephen Silas. He’s become a better defender, playmaker and scorer. There have been questions about whether he’s “the guy” to place next to Jalen Green, but I don’t think Year 1 of the rebuild is where that has to be answered. Green loves playing alongside him and vice versa.

Regardless of his long-term role — starter or reserve — I think Porter is good where he is. The real question is, does Houston’s front office want to pull the trigger on his extension or wait until a year from now? There’s a bit of risk involved considering the very real possibility Porter has a monster year and his value rises higher than what it is now, where a team-friendly deal might benefit both parties.

• Porter was drafted 30th in the 2019. and per rookie-scale extensions, his cap hold for the 2023-24 season is $9.65 million. Just my guess, but judging from what folks generally consider a team-friendly deal, one involving Porter likely ranges from $10 million to $14 million annually.

The offseason before the 2023-24 season, the Rockets’ cap sheet looks a lot more malleable with names like Wall and Christian Wood off the books. Gordon’s eligible to get around $20 million that season, but his deal is non-guaranteed, and I don’t even see him still being with the team by then.

If Porter and Houston were to come to terms on an agreement this summer, the new figure replaces the $9.65 million. There’s going to be a faction of fans who don’t want a portion of space eaten up by Porter’s contract right now, but it honestly shouldn’t matter much. The Rockets will have nearly $80 million in space next summer and should be looking to make a real splash, especially after more development from Green, Alperen Şengün and others on the roster. But with these negotiations, the age-old question comes down to how both sides value the player, because there’s a world that also exists where Porter bets on himself, signs the qualifying offer and enters free agency following the 2023-24 season.

• It’s not entirely similar, but there’s another conversation that will be had regarding Jae’Sean Tate. Because of his age and how he arrived in the NBA, Tate isn’t in the same development path as, say, a Green or Porter, but it’s still important nonetheless.

Tate has carved out a niche on this team that figures to serve a purpose regardless of how the team around him is set up. He’s a switchable defender, someone who can handle the ball and push the pace, and someone who is crafty around the rim. The shooting remains an area of progress, but there’s still time to neutralize that weakness. Houston can pull the trigger on his $1.8 million deal for next season (I’d be shocked if they didn’t), but what comes after that?

Like Porter, Tate could ink an extension this summer, one that could potentially earn him a max of around $60 million. The Rockets have the choice of finding a team-friendly deal with Tate now, sitting on their hands until restricted free agency comes next summer — or letting him walk altogether/trade him.

Because of the role that’s been asked of Tate and how useful he’s been to Silas, the latter option is unlikely. But that doesn’t mean you should discount it altogether. Once you sign an extension with a team, said club is not allowed to trade you for six months. So, let’s say the Rockets didn’t agree with Tate on an extension until September. If they wanted to maintain flexibility and possibly trade him by next season’s deadline, that might be cutting it too close. Again, like in Porter’s case, it comes down to valuation — both on the potential market and internally.

• I think the Wood situation gets handled sooner rather than later. I’d be surprised if he’s still with the team by next season’s deadline. It’s not that he’s not a good player; he is. I just don’t think for the type of money he’s probably looking for, the Rockets want to head into next summer with a clear head and maximum leverage on the open market.

Should that be the case, Wood instantly becomes one of the league’s more intriguing expiring contracts, and it’s not even worth $15 million. There should be a good deal of interest in a stretch big with that unique skill set able to give 20 and 10 and be a legit floor spacer. The defense will always be a question, but I’m not out on him in that department yet.

He’s made it clear he wants postseason basketball. Whether that desire burns brighter next year is yet to be seen, but Wood knows what he wants in his heart. The Rockets won’t want to just let him wind the clock down until his deal expires, leave for nothing and have them left with mere memories. Between now, the draft and next season’s deadline, Houston’s front office should approach Wood’s situation with an open mind and open phone lines. It might just suit all parties involved.

• Over the past weekend, The Athletic understands that Wall met with Houston as an exit interview of sorts. There has been a constant level of communication between the front office and Wall through the year. It’s clear that Wall wanted to play basketball this season, but the team remains committed to finding a solution that benefits both parties. It just comes down to the same stalemate: Wall’s side wants a buyout giving flexibility; the Rockets don’t want to come up empty-handed. HoopsHype recently reported that Wall is opting into his $47 million contract for next season.

• Although this season has had a steady heaping of losses, there are always things to carry over to the offseason and next season. One of those has to be the chemistry between Green, Porter and rookie Josh Christopher. The latter’s skill set allows him to play off the ball when he’s sharing the floor with Green and Porter, even taking the reins from time to time. Christopher is an aggressive, willing defender who can also score at all three levels and is an ever-improving ballhandler.

Since the All-Star break, all three players have shared the floor for 115 minutes. In that span, the Rockets are a plus-6.5, with an offensive rating of 113.1 and defensive rating of 106.6. The trio also plays at breakneck speed, registering a 108.04 pace. For reference, the league-leading Minnesota Timberwolves, for the season, play at a pace of 101.4.

Before this clip starts, the possession begins with Porter bringing the ball up the floor and engaging in a dribble handoff with a sprinting Green, who finds Christopher on the right wing. With Green and Porter spaced, Christopher is able to drive into the defense and dish to Şengün, who eventually finds a relocated Christopher on the left wing with Green replacing him. From there, it’s Christopher’s penetration once again that draws the defense in, and the ball finds Tate’s hands, who then flings it to an open Porter.

Vid

In a 20-60 season, plays like this matter. Stats like a plus-6.5 net rating matter, especially if it’s a decent sample size as post-All-Star break. I’d be surprised if those three aren’t given more time on the floor together next season. The chemistry and unselfishness is there, complete with a similar spectrum of skill sets. This is what rebuilding is all about, plucking the good from a sea of bad games and losses.

i3artow i3aller and jch1911 like this.
  15. jch1911

jch1911 Member

(1) Secure 1st overall pick (Jabari Smith)
    (2) 3 - team trade: IND - NYK - HOU
    IND: C. Wood (HOU) + Gordon (HOU) + Brooklyn pick (via HOU)
    NYK: McConnell (IND)
    HOU: K. Walker (NYK) bought out + J. Sims (NYK)
    (3) Sign PG Jevon Carter

Scoot - Carter - Nix
    Thrilla - JayGup - Queen
    KM2 - Tate - GBird
    Smith - Garuba - Sims
    Turner - Sengun - Fernando

I think that's a solid core that can begin to win together

#95 jch1911, Apr 9, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  16. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I'm baffled by move #2 on many levels. First off, Gordon and Wood make a combined 35 million a season. We would trade that for Kemba's 8.5 million dollar contract and Jericho Sims, who is probably making less than a million, so 35 million for 9.5 million? Next we cut Kemba, so the Rockets walk away with the 58th pick in the 2021 draft. This is ridiculous, but it's not over there. We would also include the 17th pick in the 2022 draft. I have seen lots of proposals on Clutchfans in my 25 years, but this has to be the worst. I'm usually not this critical, and try to be respectful to posters, but again, Wood, Gordon and the 2022 17th pick for for the 2021 58th pick?

17. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Give up Wood, Gordon and a 1st for Walker's contract and a two-way guy?

Oh wait, I think you meant to include Turner in the return for HOU

jch1911 likes this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Chet offers what Turner does as a baseline and is a better defender and shooter.
    Would much rather Chet and Sengun than Jabari and Turner

Boii likes this.
  19. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Calm yourself... I included Turner in the roster... forgot to put him in the trade (or hit Ctrl-Z rather and the typing got deleted)

withmustard and Zen Tabak like this.
  20. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I think Chet is going to end up getting crunched in NBA... just my thought.... I hear you tho

cmoak1982 likes this.