1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Mar 6, 2022.

?

How many on the current roster (15 man) will be there to start the 2023 season?

Poll closed Oct 6, 2022.
  1. 1 - Keep Sengun, everyone else is trash

1.1%
  2. 2-5 - Most of our guys need to go

18.3%
  3. 6-10 - Major house cleaning

37.6%
  4. 11-12 - Need 3-4 pieces

36.6%
  5. 13-14 - One or two new guys ought to do it

4.3%
  6. All of them. We aint gettin' rid of nobody

2.2%
  1. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Sign a big man if we have any money this off-season. One UFA I like is Jusuf Nurkić. 7 footer who can set picks for our guards and can bang down low with other big men. Maybe trade Wood to the Clippers for Zubac and a future 1st Rounder.

abaker28 likes this.
  2. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Hell...maybe sign Mitchell Robinson? He is only 23.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If the lottery Gods treat us right and we land another top 2 pick I hope they'll bring in a big man like Jordan, Drummond, etc. Not saying that either old player is better than Mitchell Robinson but if we can afford to have "vet experience" anywhere that won't take away significant playing time from the young players it's at the 5. Drummond can still rebound the ball at a high level and can set proper picks. I wouldn't be oppose to Robinson either but he might come at a higher price.

Corrosion likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

jch1911 likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

draft Chet, sign Rubio, get rid of Wood

Rubio
    Green
    KJ or KPJr
    Chet
    Sengun

matchesmalone, Denovo and ElPigto like this.
  6. thekad

thekad Member

I’d rather the Rockets win 25 games than 35. Roll out KPjr and Nix at PG; the less vets the better.

matchesmalone likes this.
  7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

So much stupidity!!!
    Players worth keeping :-
    Wood, Green, Porter, Tate,Martin,Christopher, Fernando,
    Possibly Matthews and Sengun.

To Go Wallk, Gordon,Lamb,Schroder, Nwba, Nix, Garuba, Queen

Looks like 9 players worth keeping. Keep Wood if he dosen't want too
    much money in his new contract.
    Next season back in the Playoffs with a new Coach.

abaker28 likes this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree, it's time to start looking at a team that will actually improve. Granted, we won't win many games still, but we shouldn't be in tanking mode anymore next season. You don't always have to land top picks. Look at the Suns, Warriors, Grizzlies, etc, they found good/great players later in the lottery.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Oh yeah, I'm ready to get rid of Wood. He doesn't fit this team long term. Tate, I like him, but if he doesn't get his three point shot going, then I'm okay moving him, although I doubt we move him since he is on a cheap deal.

My hope is that we sign an actual big man and not an undersized guy. I'm tired of always being short. Can we sign some lengthy players for once?

Getting rid of EG and John Wall would be fantastic, but I'm not holding my breath. I really really really would like for us to get a PG to move KPJ to SF. It seems that this team believes in KPJ, but my hope is that they stop wasting our time with him at PG, that's not his long term position. I'm sure he can continue getting assists, but that doesn't make him a PG.

Corrosion and Stephen_A like this.
  10. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Off-season targets
    PG Delon Wright (ATL) UFA
    PG Tyus Jones (MEM) UFA
    PG Jevon Carter (MIL) UFA
    G/F Josh Jackson (SAC) UFA
    F Taurean Prince (MN) UFA
    F Otto Porter Jr. (GSW) UFA
    F/C Jalen Smith (IND) UFA
    F/C Kai Jones (CHA)
    C Thomas Bryant (WSH) UFA
    C Damian Jones (SAC) UFA
    C Mitchell Robinson (NYK) UFA
    C Isaiah Hartenstein (LAC) UFA
    C Myle Turner (IND)

C Kevon Looney (GSW) UFA

Transactions
    1) Houston goes 1 – 3 in its last 4 games (beating Brooklyn); Orlando goes 2 – 2
    2) John Wall takes a buyout of $35M or 3 way trade: Wall to LAL; Westbrook to OKC (or LAC); protected 2nd + filler (sent to other teamsbought out or ) to HOU
    3) Trade G Eric Gordon + G/F David Nwaba into TPE + BRK’s 2022 FRP to IND for C Myles Turner
    4) Sign MIL UFA PG Jevon Carter (2 years, $10M)
    5) If CWood is traded, sign SAC UFA C Damian Jones or LAC UFA Isaiah Hartenstein (2 years, $10M)
    6) Draft F/C Jabari Smith or F Paolo Banchero

2022 - 2023 Roster
    Scoot – Carter – Nix
    Thrilla – JayGup – Queen
    KM2 – Tate – GBird
    CWood – Banchero / Smith – Garuba
    Turner – Sengun – Fernando

11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

why is the first voting option involving sengun necessary? This poll already shows a bias for Sengun singling him out against the rest of the team. Really makes little sense.

12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Why matthews? Terrible terrible defender and very wild and streaky shooter. He would be a perennial bench player on most teams or overseas star. Only reason he plays is when EG is hurt and because Nwaba can’t shoot 3s.

13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Why shouldn’t Tate start? Best defender and two way player. If he can improve on his 3 pr shooting he is a very valuable player. Lock down defenders shouldn’t ride the bench.

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Tate is a superior player to Martin. Tate is only missing the 3 from his game. Not sure why Rockets fans keep undervaluing him. He can run on the break, dribble drive, post while playing lock down defense on the other end. You can’t find too many 2 way players that hustle and make winning plays. The 3 pt shot can always improve and if he gets better this summer that option definitely needs to be picked up.

abaker28 likes this.
  15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Lockdown? Jsut cuz he leads the league in fouls committed don’t make him a great defender. He’s the best defender in our front court but that’s not really saying much

jcmoon and eliefor3 like this.
  16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Considering this post was made a month ago. Big bad Bruno can play. Interesting what Rockets do with him.

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

yeah stupid bias. Ridiculous how some of these fans hype him up so much. Disrespectful to all the other players which several are better than him.

xaos likes this.
  18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

He has played lockdown defense on whomever he guards going vertical, taking charges, ripping balls out and diving for loose balls. Guards multiple positions and can switch. How many players in the league does what he does? Please review all of the games closely for the past 2 years. I’m not sure why this is even a debate.

abaker28 likes this.
  19. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

I just want Wood gone. Other players that I’d be ok trading: Wall, Gordon, and Tate. Then just hope you get lucky in the lottery and find long term solutions at the 3 and 4/5 (depending on where you want to play Sengun long term)

20. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

So in the order of keeping players, you rank Christopher over senguin?