1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2022 Nets pick thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2022.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think in the case of making AA over Chet, its pretty obvious that usage is a big part of that - Gonzaga is Timmie's team & Chet's opportunities are limited as a result but he is very consistent / efficient when he does get opportunities.

Banchero has a similar usage rate but lacks the efficiency / shooting splits compared to Smith.

What bothers me about both Banchero & Smith is that they are big men who shoot less than 50% from 2 and don't take many shots outside the restricted area .... if they struggle to put the ball in the hole in college from close distance , it doesn't get any easier in the association. You might expect those splits (.463 / .442) from guards but not big men.

theDude and clutchdabear like this.
  2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I don’t get that.

I mean, if you truly believe it…sure ok…

But you don’t have to completely hate on other guys just because you have/had a favorite.

eliefor3 likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

To me it was 50/50, there were a lot of Mobley supporters before the draft but right after the draft the balance shifted towards 80/20 Green pretty quick and it remained that way.

Corrosion likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So Kyrie had his vaccine day.......;)

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not understand the Player vs Player thing.

Clutchfans should be having a Draft board, I am okay with couple of picks, I would be okay with Ivey as well.

People should learn from the past, and not just focus on one or two guys.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Weren't you on '3 potentials are better than 1 potential' duty?

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Hawks and Hornets now a game back of BK after flopping on consecutive nights

the Hornets are a joke…just get them out the paint…go away…go home…leave the scene

the Hawks are the only hope of bumping BK out of the top 8

I know the Pistons have been playing much better lately, but still, games like that are the ones u absolutely must win if you’re Atlanta

8. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

He still cannot win big games unless Pippen and Jackson are on his side.

9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I've been thinking. Shouldn't we actually WANT Brooklyn to be seed 7th or 9th for the play in because they would be home games in the NYC metro area and Kyrie may not be able to play if the mandate holds on?

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

don’t think they’re catching Toronto unless the Raptors just free fall, so 8th would be better than 7th for me because it would be a road game in Canada so Kyrie won’t be able to play…I trust the Raptors to win more at home than on the road for a play-in game

8th seed would be nice…road game against the Raptors with no Kyrie, and then if they lose that, home game against the Hawks most likely, again with no Kyrie…Trae Young could beat them if he goes nuclear

9th is great too because if they choke the 1st play-in game at home with no Kyrie, they’re done…I think they’d most likely play the Hornets in a 9-10 matchup, so I’d be shocked if the Hornets actually showed up…then on the road against the Raptors with no Kyrie or against the Hawks with Kyrie, but against Trae Young who is liable to drop 40 on any given night as the Sixers and Bucks found out last postseason

#1110 Reeko, Mar 9, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Don’t make the same mistake of not drafting the unicorn type big.

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

It's a numbers thing. Pull on one stand of grass (for sandals) and it brakes but put 3 strands
    together and 1 reinforces the others. Like what Cavs have done with
    Jarrett Allen-Mobley-Markkanen.

I'm a believer Mobley and his dad saw this and that's why they didn't
    work out for the Rockets. His dad advised him on the best
    situation for his son.

At the time we (Rockets) only had Wood under contract. No Sengun,
    no Olynyk and no Theis. And we see how Wood does against many
    centers....we have to put Tate on them.

Mobley strained his elbow earlier this season fighting for position.
    Gives some of us flashbacks of Luc Mhab-a-Moute dislocating
    his shoulder right before the playoffs.

Wth multiple long wing span guys we can have one front the big center while others
    are ready to look for the lob over the top and defend. Popovich made that
    famous by using Rudy Gay to front LaMarcus Aldridge when he was still
    with Portland. Kawhi would lurk near by along the baseline waiting for the lob.

Houston can make it work with: Sengun, Wood and any of Jabari Smith, Chet
    or Banchero and our defense would improve exponentially.

#1112 ApacheWarrior, Mar 9, 2022
    Verbal Christ likes this.
  13. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Guys we literally had polls where people voted for who they wanted…it isn’t a matter of personal opinion.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/breakdown-of-our-choices-at-2.311965/
    In the “who should we take” poll posted immediately after we retained the #2 pick:

Green - 60%
    Mobley - 30%

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/poll-getting-down-to-the-wire-what-would-you-prefer-we-do.312267/
    In the “who do we draft or should we trade the pick” poll two weeks before the draft, of the 333 people who wanted us to make a draft selection:

Green - 72%
    Mobley - 26%

So people like Chet, and as a group we are not concerned about that skinny frame for a 7 footer. I’m good with that…just asking cause it seems like CF nation already had this debate last year and came out the other way.

#1113 mikenm268, Mar 9, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree to an extent but like me there are forum citizens that rarely do polls, they want to stay neutral.

I think reasons were that Mobley refused to work out and that big men are said to flop harder than guards.

Dayum, I selected Suggs for fun. Help us, for we do not know what we are doing.

mikenm268 likes this.
  15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

ya know that may not actually be a bad thing if you have players that already get their buckets inside. and i can already think of one prospect on our team that loves to post up...

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Mobley is playing a great big man game. He boards well and is a good shooter within the arc. His defense is what you would want from a 7 footer and he's able to switch and not be a liability. My attention span stalled last year when Mobley was being presented as a guy who had "guard game". That he could handle the ball, distribute, get to the rim, hit 3's and guard 1-5. Sure - he can do each of those things at times, in specific situations, but I just never bought into him being a first option guy that would create the gravity for his teammates with all those attributes on a consistent basis. He is a marvelous glue guy currently cleaning up missed shots and making open jumpers. He cant really shoot 3's, his free throw shooting is not ideal and is average as a passer. All things that can be improved with time. He will have problems with big guys on the block who are skilled in the low post game. Very much a perimeter player right now and is without a doubt blessed to be insulated on a good team - those are the best environments for rooks to flourish. Besides all that he came out on fire and although he's hit a little wall and came back down to earth he's had a GREAT rookie season. I wouldnt say he's a lock for ROY anymore, but who cares? His future is bright and his career arc is insane. It will be fun to watch this entire draft class evolve and revisit these topics 5-10 years down the line and for guys who hoped Jalen Green could be the guy for us its starting to look more and more promising. Should be a win for everyone here and for fans of the game in general. The NBA is in good hands.

TriumVirate and ApacheWarrior like this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I don't disagree with many of your points if not all of them.

Mobley love for the game was in question perhaps by opposing factions or by those
    near the USC team. He looks to be engaged and put that apprehension away.

I remember coach Les Miles warned teams about his own player Sam Montgomery
    and the Texans went ahead and drafted him. Turned into a bust. That stuck with me
    subconsciously about that Mobley knock on him.

The other thing was Mobley not coming over and helping defensively while at USC.
    In watching the Cavs vs Rockets I was studying Mobley and for the most part provided
    good help defense the entire game.

Mobley has exceeding my expectations and will have a fine career
    but I still see him as Ralph Sampson. Hope he can avoid the injuries
    Ralph Sampson sustained in his career. I projected Mobley getting 19 points
    per game as did Ralph Sampson his rookie season since the game is
    less physical and lanes are more open nowadays due to rules and
    regulations; but still a good year from Mobley.

I still believe Green will be the Kobe slash MJ-lite of this era. I've never waivered
    on that. We have their lighter version which plays well in today's much lighter NBA.

I applaud Stone/Silas on the path the Rocket have taken by selecting Jalen Green
    who needed a year of transition to gain more weight, adjust to the traveling/NBA schedule,
    speed of the game and tank while being in position to draft another stellar player in
    one of Ja ari Smith, Chet or Banchero. If the Rockets drafted Mobley, I believe the Rockets
    would have won too many games and not have much of a chance at one of these
    top players.

Rockets probably wouldn't have Sengun as well if Mobley was drafted by the Rockets.
    Against my desire not to tank, it probably will end up the best thing for this team.
    I can now see a dynasty forming with Green, Porter, Wood, Tate, Kenyon, Josh, Sengun,
    Mathews and possibly one of Jabari, Chet, or Banchero. I've always seen Green using
    this season as a season to transition to the NBA. Not much different as when the
    Sixers drafted injured players that sat their first year like Nerlens Noel or Ben Simmons.
    That Process took 7 years and I was against that long a rebuild.....ours may be two
    to 3 years. The future looks bright.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

People voting for Green doesn't mean they're anti-Mobley, they simply preferred Green. If we had the #3 pick that poll would probably be 90% in favor of Mobley over anyone else.

Also, Chet looks like a natural three point shooter which may mitigate some of the weight issues in some people's minds. If he were 195lbs and only capable of banging inside I think people would be very concerned.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Chet is not Green and is not Mobley. Chet is not in a draft with Green or Cunningham.

20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Not that I don't like the Chet v Mobley v Banchero debate, but shouldn't most of that discussion be in that thread in the College Game section?

cmoak1982 likes this.