1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2022 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Oct 14, 2021.

1. HTown2017Champs

He's 33 (so about a year older than Brantley when we first signed him). Not that old, and he still provides plus defense and good power. Always liked him as a person, and from his interviews (and interactions with Altuve when he was on 1B) he seems like he'd be a good clubhouse fit (if we do end up signing him). Not the best batting average but he had good WOBA and xWOBA to go with decent K-BB rate, and should benefit from the new shift rules next year. Plus, he'd be another lefty to help balance the lineup. I think he'd be a good target, and I definitely hope we at least look into him.

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would like Rizzo also.

I think the Astros need to sign 1 veteran bat for 1B and fill the rest of the position players with the youngsters in the system.

Rizzo, Bell, or Abreu ( or a younger trade target like Walker or Lowe) would really deepen this lineup for 2023 and give time for Melton, Clifford, or someone else to develop into the next Yuli.

I really like McCormick as a 4th OF/ LF platoon w/ Yordan and expect either Meyers or Leon to take a Jeremy Pena type step up next season in CF.

I also expect Hensley to excel replacing Diaz next season.

Looking ahead, I can see this team being better next season than now if this happens.

prospecthugger likes this.
  3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Yuli is going to get a 1 year deal as long as he finishes up this season playing decently well. Playoff performance is kind of a big deal for this team.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Houston can’t/won’t pay Verlander, I would expect them to sign one of Bell, Abreu, or Rizzo.

prospecthugger likes this.
  5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

That would not surprise me at all especially if they feel they have the future 1B in the system.

Similarly, I think they feel they have the future CF in this organization as well so won't seek out a younger player, but only a band aid type if any at all.

If they resign Yuli then there is no point signing another 1B. Just like 2022 Dusty will start him 99+% of the time regardless of how bad he is.

Buy the team should be ready and willing to move Diaz, Matijevic, or someone else there if age catches up and Yuli can't physically hold up.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Ummm...Yuli usually has not been great in the postseason except for this year and 2017.

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Timing is everything

The organization LOVES Yuli and all the things he brings ( Cuban connection, clubhouse, defense) besides his bat.

If he continues to show he MAY not be done by continuing to hit in the World Series I could see them bringing him back.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pick one from each tier:
    Tier 1: Verlander, Nimmo, Bell, Abreu, Rizzo, Contreras, Benintendi, Haniger

Tier 2: Nathan Eovaldi, Andrew Heaney, Omar Narvaez, Christian Vazquez, Brandon Drury, Trey Mancini, JD Martinez, Joey Gallo, Jurickson Profar, Joc Pederson, Michael Brantley, Justin Turner, Gary Sanchez, Kolton Wong

Tier 3: Tucker Barnhart, Mike Zunino, Noah Syndergaard, Brad Hand, Corey Knebel, Evan Longoria, Yuli Gurriel, Wil Myers, Brandon Belt, Matt Carpenter, Trevor Rogers, Rafael Montero, Aledmys Diaz, Adam Frazier, Andrew McCutchen, Robbie Grossman, Adam Duvall, David Peralta, Tommy Pham, Nelson Cruz

10. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

On a scale of 1-10… how shocked would y’all be if we won the WS, Crane let’s Click walk, and brings in Luhnow’s former right hand man?

I wouldn’t be shocked at all personally.

everyday eddie and BlindHog like this.
  11. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Verlander, Vazquez(if he basically swapped amount of playing time he currently gets with Maldy, and probably Pham(with Peralta being a close second)

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Primo 1B:

Goldscmidt Will be 35 for 23 season and 36 for 24 season. Local product from The Woodlands. STL need SP. Spent money on younger players like Arenado.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I doubt the postseason performance will matter more than the number of games it ends up being. He's had stretches this good during the season. If the Astros bring him back, it will be because he's cheaper than he should be based on the regular season numbers.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think Verlander is in a tier of his own. He will cost over twice as much per year as anyone else on this list.

That said
    .1) Verlander

2) Brantley (platoon w/ McCormick) to share DH/LF vs RH pitching with Yordan.

3) Montero would be my choice but I don't think the Astros add that kind of payroll to the bullpen. Nobody else there excites me. Maybe Yuli but only if Brantley isn't back and only if it's to be a bench player.

Also if Verlander is resigned ( and the big 1B are out in this exercise) trade a SP like Garcia for a starting 1B like Walker.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I wouldn’t mind that. Mine would be Verlander, Profar, and Zunino (assuming Zunino’s medicals check out). Verlander is by far the most impactful player available. Profar offers defensive versatility and a low k rate with significant upside. Zunino offers a complementary catcher that fits the budget, offers power, and is good defensively. 1B would be a hole but Id hope one of Yainer Diaz, David Hensley, or JJ Matijevic could step up, and adding an adequate 1B at the deadline usually isn’t a huge issue.

Htown Legend likes this.
  16. awc713

awc713 Member

very shocked. Luhnow eta in Houston over.

also, I want no part of Pham. Guy is a lunatic. Would be ecstatic if we brought back JV and Vazquez, though, and would be fine not adding anyone from tier 3 and forming out the club internally.

#1336 awc713, Oct 27, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Feels imminent that Sig is on the way

Htown Legend likes this.
  18. prospecthugger

8? Letting a WS winning GM walk is pretty crazy no matter how you slice it. To be fair, the fact that m Click's status is up in the air as it is probably already puts me at a 6. I have been pretty skeptical about the idea of Click leaving, but it's hard not to wonder if these are linked. At this point, I'd almost be surprised if they let replaced Click with anyone but Stearns.

Htown Legend likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Stearns as PBO with Sig as GM sounds pretty good. Highly unlikely though.

Htown Legend and prospecthugger like this.
  20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Stearns is interesting.

But in the end I think Click is back.

Results matter. SCOREBOARD.