1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The 2022 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I lived there and thought it was ****ing depressing as hell and was so happy to leave. My cousins lived there for 15 years and the one that throws molotov cocktails at cops still likes it but the other two that aren't batshit crazy moved since the pandemic and are so happy to be in Texas. Neither of them have ever voted for a republican in their lives. You can easily experience Seattle, think it sucks and want to get out of there and have it have nothing to do with politics. It has the second hightest suicide attempt rate of the top cities in the US (behind only Vegas I believe) and that, I would suggest, has nothing to do with politics. They gave us grunge. And that, I would suggest, has very little to do with politics.
    It's a gray dreary miserable weather place where people say **** like- oh- you remember the day last month with the sun where it wasn't raining. Hanging out with my Cousin before the ULM game I was like- how did you handle this miserable summer. It was pretty nasty. She was like- bring it on we'd do it forever over what we left. Different strokes for different folks.

#1261 Wulaw Horn, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There's always a first time.

I di admit I was looking at old precipitation charts with Washington receiving 100 inches annually along the coast. I didn't realize Seattle was in a pocket of ONLY 40+ inches annually.

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It’s not the amount of rain, it’s the fact that it rains so often and always gray and drizzly. That’s what made it rough for me anyway.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  4. awc713

awc713 Member

Gotta admit, it would be pretty funny if Judge fails to hit another HR after all the parading the media has done. Not downplaying the accomplishment of hitting 60 (how many would he have without the RF porch though, just curious), but would be funny to see if he sits on 60.

5. awc713

awc713 Member

Tuckmose and phasors28 like this.
  6. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Rob Manfred would find a Home Run to unseal.

phasors28 and RKREBORN like this.
  7. Qan

Qan Member

He'll juice all the balls Yankees will play with.

8. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

There are more than 10 states that get more rain. But.....it has nothing to do with politics. Lol.

No seriously. It has nothing to do with politics.

Snake Diggit and marks0223 like this.
  9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Average annual rainfall:
    Seattle 37 inches
    Houston 50 inches

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

True. Houston has a roof. Seattle has a microclimate surrounded by 100+ inches/year. But like Wulaw Horn said, it's not the total, it's the frequency. 150 days of precip per year.

11. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

This is not a shot at anyone, but I find it odd how often politics makes it's way into the comments on this board.
    I grew up in Texas and am a voting republican, but not a fist banging on the table in your face republican. My wife is a hardcore banging her fist on the table New York democrat. somehow we have managed to stay married all these years. Granted, she does have a firm buttocks and ample breasts, and she watches all Astros games with me. #WINNING.

I suspect anyone on this board regardless of political affiliation has at least one thing in common with all the rest on here.
    Two, if you enjoy the sado masochism that is the TEXANS.

mikol13, IdStrosfan and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There is a big difference in the rain in Houston and Seattle. When it rains in Houston, it typically pours. It might be sunny later in the day. When it rains in Seattle, it is a slight drizzle that lasts weeks.

Percent Time Between sunrise and sunset that sunlight reaches the ground.
    Houston 59%
    Seattle 47%

Number of Days with Rain
    Houston 107
    Seattle 156

There is nothing political that a lot of people need to take Vitamin B due to it always raining (lack of sunlight is probably more accurate) in Seattle.

Edit: There is some hyperbole in this post, but the overall point is that when people complain about the rain in Seattle, it is likely on the frequency and lack of sunshine, and not based on quantity.

#1272 Joe Joe, Sep 28, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    Wulaw Horn and marks0223 like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

If you like good food, hunting, fishing, hiking, kayaking and the general outdoors, the Seattle area is an amazing place to visit. I've enjoyed spending time in the city as well.

How the **** did this become a conversation point in here?

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That makes you a pansy liberal, not liking Seattle makes you a Trumper.

Yes, this conversation started in a manner as stupid as that.

15. Qan

Qan Member

Correct dude. I also find it funny, but politics has really played more into people's lives and talking point. It's crazy how divisive it has become, on both sides. I blame social media.

My wife is also a Democrat and I'm a Republican. Views may be different but after 16 years of marriage, we've learnt that there's really more important things and needs in life than to butt head over politics. People are just too hardcore. Unfortunately my wife is not into sports...let alone Astros/Texans/Rockets, but she is understanding and doesn't get in the way. Lmao

Anyways, to keep in topic...I loved my visit to Washington state, didn't visit Seattle but Poulsbo. Enjoyed the weather there while Houston was scorching. Lol

Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

I swear, I leave yall unsupervised for a couple of days.... ;)

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Which was literally exactly what I said when I said, it’s not the total inches it’s the fact that it’s gray and drizzly all day. Look, I don’t know what more I can say than I lived there, my dad is from there, and when he moved us up there we were all absolutely miserable and it had literally nothing to do with politics.
    There’s a reason for the suicide and grunge factor. Seasonal affected mood is a real thing. I get sort of stir crazy by the end of summer here bc of the heat and humidity making me be inside most of the time, but we typically try to get on the road to cooler environs during that time
    The first morning when it’s crisp and the air is fresh puts a hop in my step that doesn’t go away for like a month. it’s beyond bizarre to act like weather can’t be a huge determining factor in whether a person likes or dislikes a place that they live and that weather can’t affect the culture of an area.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Never been to Houston and have spent exactly 1 night in Texas ( San Antonio for job interview).

Spent exactly 1 night in Seattle after watching an Astros/Mariners game.

Both wife and I are very moderate and independent after being Democrats until a few years ago.

That said, I applaude the last few posts.

We are all Astros fans here. This is a forum to express and celebrate that.

A place to get away from the other problems of our lives and country..

Let's start debating whether to resign Gurriel and/or Brantley, or trade a starting pitcher.

Let's get back to the Astros and forget our problems.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Only fascists want to trade a starting pitcher.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Seattle Mariner Fans are 39% democrat and 31% republican.