1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The 2021 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Oct 19, 2020.

?

The 2021 Season will:

Poll closed Mar 19, 2021.
  1. Be the usual 162 games

21 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Be another shortened season (100-120 games played)

34 vote(s)
    56.7%
  3. Be another shortened season (60-80 games played)

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Be cancelled. No games played at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

MLB tried to de-juice the balls by about 2 feet this year to decrease homers by a 5%.

From the Ringer:
    What we can say for sure is that the median hit distance this spring is 4 feet longer than it was during the 2020 regular season, and the median fly ball distance is 10 feet longer.
    If the fly balls travel 10 feet longer, this is going to be a massive year for homers (25% increase if linear over that big a change).

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2021/3/31/22359623/dejuiced-ball-new-baseball

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Watching games today is so much more pleasant without the fake crowd noise and cardboard fans.

Rock Block likes this.
  3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I really hope that costs them the game.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

For the second day of baseball as a whole, Im disappointed that theres only one day game today and that dont start til 1:00. WTH?

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Stay woke kids!

#128 J.R., Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  9. awc713

awc713 Member

J.R., I love & appreciate your posts. I’m not trying to turn this into a political debate and I am likewise not a fan of cancel culture...but reducing or summarizing the 98-page GA legislation into just “requiring IDs to vote” is misleading and mischaracterizes the nature and breadth of the new law. It is, without a doubt, a calculated attempt to make it harder to vote, particularly if you live in Urban and historically more democrat areas. It is embarrassing, appalling, and in my opinion, un-American in nature in that it tries to make voting harder. While I’m not the biggest NYT fan, I did find their write-up of the new law helpful:

Here are the most significant changes to voting in the state, as written into the new law:

NotInMyHouse, astros123 and cmlmel77 like this.
  10. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Go ahead and move the All Star game to Houston and really piss off non-Astros fans.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Ewww... I don't want all those cheaters invading our clubhouse.

12. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

If the New York Times says it, surely it is non-partisan, because surely they would never lie

13. awc713

awc713 Member

The article literally just cites to portions of the legislative bill. You can read important parts of the bill itself without reading the NYT opining portion (which is what I did), hence why I found it to be a helpful article (unless you would rather read the entire 98 page legal document).

It is sickening that voter suppression is still an issue in 2021. I don’t care if you’re red or blue (I am neither, red on some issues and blue on others), but this bill is abhorrent if you look at what it seeks to accomplish. I applaud the league and players union for having the common sense to come together and take this stance. I am not a fan of cancel culture—at all—but this bill objectively deserves to be canceled IMO, or at least does deserve to have strong consequences such as this.

joshuaao, MrBear1 and cmlmel77 like this.
  14. danielsh126

danielsh126 Member

you realize people cried that there was "voter suppression" in 2020 when there was record turnout right? SMH....

raining threes and Handles like this.
  15. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

I will be the first to admit that I haven't read any of the bill, nor do I really care about it since I do not live in Georgia. Since you brought it up, I read most of what the Times had to say, and almost all of it was just opinion disguised (poorly) as fact. For example, how does reducing the number of days to request a ballot constitute voter suppression? That requirement does not prevent a single solitary person from voting. Much of what you cited from the paper paper was in the same vein. When it comes to their reporting, they have a very distinct liberal lean, and run fast and loose with the truth quite often, hence my comment.
    Politicians and most of the media are filled with claims of voter suppression, but they almost always fail to cite any actually cases where a person was not actually allowed to vote. And when they do they turn out to be suspect. Then the other side of the politicians and the media claim voter integrity is comprimised. While they are able to show some isolated incidents, they appear to be greatly exaggerated Both sides scream a lot of rhetoric, but mostly it just ends up being bullshit.
    I do not want to get into a big political discussion, especially on a baseball site, but, you seem very passionate about it, so I do not want to seem dismissive. I just don't see the same perspective as you.

raining threes likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Shouldn't you be posting your political stuff back in Unsorted where it belongs? ;)

#bbsthreadpolice

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

#137 J.R., Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    jim1961 likes this.
  18. raining threes

So other than the voter ID laws being changed (Do you not want to know who's voting is who they are claiming to be) nothing really changed from pre=pandemic.

19. raining threes

I think we know the reasons for the record voter turnout.

If you believe in coincidences it happened during a pandemic.

20. raining threes

People died for the right to vote. You would think standing in line for 30 mins wouldn't be to much to ask. The attempted legislation to curb voter fraud is a good thing and if all it costs them is an all star game then that's a very small price to pay.