1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2021-2022 Tank Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Sep 23, 2021.

1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I really wish people stopped using philly as an example of “tanking doesn’t work” because you 1. Can’t ignore silver annihilating the franchise by forcing hinkie out and a moron to take over and 2. They’ve been very good for a few seasons

Nook and bumbum09 like this.
  2. finsraider

finsraider Member

I’m not suggesting we lose intentionally, but as matter of process. Give your young guys plenty of opportunities to develop, and don’t make any “win now” trades.

At the moment, I would guess our next playoff appearance is in the 2023-2024 season, with a possibility to make the playin in the 2022-2023 season. No chance at that this season, so might as well get the best pick you can.

Overall, I think we are looking at a 3 year project, which is actually really quick. This all assumes we have 1 superstar in waiting currently on the roster.

blue_eyed_devil, Y2JT, ArtV and 2 others like this.
  3. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Hot take. Silas is actually a garage coach. Perfect tank commander.

4. sydmill

sydmill Member

I was very much pro tanking last season given the circumstances. Now I just want to see what the Rockets have. Developing the young talent is more important to me than wins but I don't think you try to lose this season. I think trying as hard as they might a top 10 pick is coming their way (I'm already on the AJ Griffin train btw).

ArtV likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Imagine being mediocre for the next several years because you misjudged the talent level on the 2021 roster.

xaos likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

I prefer “strategic rebuild” over “tank”.

We own our picks for the next seasons and we ain’t that good. We need to accumulate assets to either trade for a star or develop a star.

Maybe Wood or KPJ will end up being a star but they need to prove that over multiple seasons.

Y2JT likes this.
  7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Yes. And they never had any prospects or borderline stars we have now with Wood, Ego, KPJ, Green especially. So it’s not the same as the Kevin Martin led Rockets. How long did NyK suck before they finally improved via draft? We have a foundation and the ability to win now. When we just had Harden, should we have tanked to try and lair him with someone equally as good so that we wouldn’t have to rely on solely him? Our situation is more akin to the post-Thunder Harden trade. Kpj or Green could become that all star, HOF caliber player.

if we come out sucking for 20 games, okay, fine, maybe consider throwing in the towel. But we should come into every season trying to win. Even the worst teams should age that mentality. How can you play a sport and not come out trying to win? Why would you want to support a team that is afraid to try. Afraid to grow together and prove people wrong?

I say bring on the challenge.

8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Okc sucked for 3 years and got Durant number 2, Westbrook number 4 and harden number 3 in there consecutive drafts before they had the situation they had. Point being you can't rush development. It will do rockets no good to be mediocre for couple or years and then suck again bc then we went even have our pick. They is why this year and possible next year should be reserved for growth and development including acquiring high picks. I would be willing to bet Jalen green is close to Kevin Martin then he will be to kevin Durant. Martin averaged about 20 points a game on about 35 percent 3 point shooting. Let's see how much better Jalen green is than that. I hope he is much better but you need more horses

Y2JT likes this.
  9. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

But just imagine what he can do with another high lottery? I love stone, hell he got tate, kpj and kmj for free practically.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We see pretty much the same picture of the future , assuming one of the guys on the current roster is a legit star , the return to the playoffs starts in the 23/24 season.

I'm down with the tank for a couple reasons -

- this next years draft pick is the Rockets most valuable asset - maximize it. Everything beyond that is questionable , owing OKC picks & swaps , the unknown value of the Brooklyn picks. This is the last draft in which you control your own pick before OKC is the beneficiary. Play the young guys and load manage Wood.

- What created the GSW dynasty was a glitch in the CBA which increased the cap by a sizable amount allowing them to add another max player to their already really good core. The Rockets have a similar opportunity in 2023/24 because of the value of their expiring contracts & their relatively low cap holds Vs the likely cost of resigning those players being significantly higher IF they are what we think they can become .... and because Wall & EG expire at the same time , they'll have a better than $60m in cap space to add to their core.

Imagine you get to keep Wood , Sengun , Tate , Theis , Garuba , Martin jr , KPJ , Nwaba , Green , House , Christopher , Brooks , next years lottery pick & add $60 million in salary on top of that in free agency ..... that's a loaded roster assuming Green & KPJ develop and Wood continues his efficient play.

What can $60 million buy you ?! ....

Nook, IvanLCPM, Shark44 and 6 others like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOL then why not tank for another 5 years, just imagine lolololol

oth do you think kawhi would become kawhi if drafted by sacramento kings?
    I dont think so...

honestly i am not interested in 'easy' wins
    eg i wouldnt have liked if commisioner Adam Silver now ordered every team in the league to give us their picks or give us their best player
    (that doesnt excite me i never even watched an all star game in my entire life)

heres another lacmus test...would you have liked for Tilman to pay the refs so the rockets win the title? would you be happy or satisfied then? then watching basketball wouldnt have any charm left for me.... am i not right?

well for the very same reason i am not interested in tanking... it all doesnt make any sense....

'oh i am gonna forfeit all the games in next 5 years in order to get some good players'....

its ridiculous! i dont even see how its any different from straight bribing the refs...its simply not appealing to me....it destroys the very fabric of sports

tycoonchip likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so whats a big deal?
    it may perhaps take several years for young guns to develop anyway

and why is hiring a great coach wrong? lololol you people are very weird....your solution to everything is just 'lose more games'.... lololol what a losers!

and stop pretending if you just tank for another year you still wont be mediocre for several years if you have misjudged the talent level on 21' roster

stop pretending you still wont be mediocre even if you didnt!

stop pretending all the problems will be solved if you just had more high picks...

NO. you still need to develop them, and not lose them to competition, and make them happy, and keep them happy and compete and be healthy and be smart and be dedicated to detail and hire the fine coaches, create chemistry, grow and nurture the chemistry, and fine tune everything and fill the stadium and root hard and you still wont be guaranteed NOTHING...

so time to stop pretending if you just get another high pick in the next hyped draft youre be settled for life...
    theres no substitute for winning!
    all the picks in the world cant cure the p***y mentality and that is all that is to the tank talk

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Keep tanking. Literally no fking point trying to compete yet especially if wall is still with us. We are never gonna win ring with him leading us. If people btch about how harden as the center piece can't get us a ring, then they straight up delusional if they think wall and a bunch of rookies is the answer.

Hakeem9 doesn't seem 2 understand, u don't rush the process of tank.

14. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

15. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Whether u want to tank or not doesn’t even matter. Does this look like a team that’s gonna win a lot of games?

we’ll have some delusions that think this roster is gonna kill it like the ones who thought last year’s roster was a playoff team, but then reality will hit

Nook likes this.
  17. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Have you been asleep the last few weeks?

IvanLCPM likes this.
  18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Did you get this idea from a Sacramento King's fan site??

I never liked the idea of continuous tanking and yes more than one time is continuous. I think we have the nucleus of a very good young core. I would love to add another big but I think that can be added via trade.

What people don't understand is that if you draft all these players within a yr apart, their contracts are going to be due around the same time.....OKC found out the HARDEN WAY

Corrosion likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

ArtV likes this.
  20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I prefer trading for Simmons, finishing 8 - 10 this yr, gaining playoff experience and resigning Wood., rather than continuing to be a lottery team.