1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2020 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Jul 19, 2020.

1. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

That dude has dirty mouth. Always throwing f-bombs. Made me regret giving him a stand O for his last outing at yankees stadium last October.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Didn't they all pick the Twins to win though? Confused...

Also, Beltran was with the Yankees front office last year. He would presumably had given them all the info on whether or not anything questionable was happening. Do they really think 2019 was tainted? Strange.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

He's just salty we put his ass into retirement.

4. Buck Turgidson

Who gives a **** what he wants to say?

It's just more "ignore the forest and focus on the tree."

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Not sure if this is the right area for this but someone asked Trevor Bauer if Astros offered him the best offer, if he would consider it. His response was he would consider all offers. Would he actually consider signing with Houston or he wouldn't but would use Houston's offer as a negotiating ploy with other teams? Would you cheer for him? What would the players say or if Click was interested, he would approach some of the veterans to see how they would feel. I think in the past, he said he would just keep signing a 1 year deal and wouldn't sign an multi year offer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2034129/amp

I wonder if he's trolling. He had a Twitter beef with Acuna and one of the last comments made were to the fans. He thank the Reds fans and said it was unfortunate they couldn't go to the games. Then said to the Braves fans, I guess I'm hated and you guys wouldn't embrace me. Finally he said, lol Astros fans, why are you here? Stay mad

#485 punkoholic, Oct 3, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

He lives in Houston. It wouldn't surprise me if he would accept. I just don't expect Click to be the highest bidder on Trevor Bauer.

7. Buck Turgidson

I cheered for Roger Clemens, so Bauer wouldn't be too different once he puts on the jersey.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

NYY drop a 9th inning bomb (5 runs) on TB in gm 1. Sure hope TB got more than this.

9. Major

Major Member

He and Bregman are friends, no? I thought their twitter beef was all for fun to generate interest. Bauer and Cole had lots of issues going back to college, but without Cole here, I'm not sure there'd be much issue with Bauer.

10. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I have no idea if Bauer and Bregman are friends or not but I've seen other posters say something similar as well. But last year Bregman was asked if they were friends and he said no. But this was asked after Bauer was trolling/trash talking so he might have said no to keep this thing going. Actually I watched the clip and Bregman had a smirk on his face and walked off.

#490 punkoholic, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Major

Major Member

I think they are both really social media savvy and know how to get attention. I'm not sure if they are friends, but I'm pretty sure there's no real animosity. This kind of stuff is what you say when goofing off - not really what you say to people you truly hate, I think.

The talk continued in the offseason when Bauer proposed that Bregman take batting practice off him and that he'd donate to charity for every Bregman homer.

Bregman responded to Bauer's homer-hitting challenge with: "I'll save them for the postseason next year."

I’ll save them for the postseason next year ;) https://t.co/Dtq5HbBoG6

— Alex Bregman (@ABREG_1) November 28, 2018

Their back and forth has continued since then, including further exchanges in the offseason where Bregman tweeted to Bauer that "Bro... you were our best player in the postseason last year," and Bauer replying, "Thanks for admitting I'm better than you."

punkoholic likes this.
  12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

TB is Happening :D

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

After all the laughter and jokes directed at the Astros for many years, the wake they left of pioneering the use of drastic shifts has gone league wide and is considered the norm. Remember the first time the Astros deployed the 4 man outfield? Well, the Rays just did it and not a peep of how awkward it was.

Luhnow was ahead of the class.

RayRay10 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Yep, they took what was used sporadically: The "Williams Shift", "McCovey Shift", McGwire/Bonds, etc... and made it commonplace. There's a bunch of others too, from "spin rate" to "launch angle" to ....

RayRay10 and conquistador#11 like this.
  15. donkeypunch

"It not real baseball"

Does Gallo get a **** named after him, the "Gallo Shift"? Doesnt even sound right. Or was it done to somebody beforehand?

RayRay10 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

What's the Gallo shift?

TWS1986 likes this.
  17. donkeypunch

4 outfielders. Wasnt he the first time we used it on?

TWS1986 likes this.
  18. donkeypunch

Yankees striking out against this Fairbanks kid is absolutely hysterical. They could just keep their bats on their shoulders and he wouldve walked all of them.

Buck Turgidson and TWS1986 like this.
  19. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I thought this read the "Gallo ****". I'm going to go with that.

20. Buck Turgidson

Huh, recently, not sure.

Here's the Williams (I think they only used it this extreme once, because it pissed him off and he went 4-4 or something), and the distances of the OFs are a bit messed up, from what I've read:

[​IMG]

Here's the Willie McCovey, which was used with some regularity against him:

[​IMG]

#500 Buck Turgidson, Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.