1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2018 Oscar Nominations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

Award shows are getting too controversial for my taste. It seems like there are token nominations to avoid the black and female uprising. Judge the product for what it is.

Will be skipping all these shows from now on.

#21 Sajan, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    ghettocheeze and BruceAndre like this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You called it a 'TOKEN'
    don't try to walk it back or soften it with "Not that it wasn't a good film, "

You said what you said
    and you meant what you meant
    and
    It is what I think it is

Rocket River

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Nah, it's a GREAT movie

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, and I meant what I said. It was a good movie, but the only reason it got that many nominations was due to behind the scenes politics. That's not something new, that's how the Oscars have always been. There's may great movies and performances that don't get Oscar nominations every year, movies like "Get Out" generally don't get Oscar nods just like movies like "Logan" generally don't. It has nothing to do with quality. This year the politics played to the advantage of "Get Out" so they got 4 nominations.

Just to put what I said in context, there have been a grand total of 9 movies categorized as "horror" nominated for Best Picture in Oscars history.....2 of them are current nominations and both check different diversity boxes with their nominations.

Then again I know that you are probably triggered by the truth. It happens.

#24 Bobbythegreat, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  5. MystikArkitect

Why?

Might be the best movie I've seen in a really really long time. Have a hard time thinking of a better one honestly. It's so relevant in so many ways, expertly crafted, acted, meticulous attention to detail...

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Get Out was very fun and enjoyable but it does seem weird to have it as Best Picture. It's really impressive since it came out so early in the year and often times movies lose oscar steam toward the end.

I haven't seen The Disaster Artist, but it seemed as though Franco deserved to be included. I don't know if the accusations are true but they appear to fairly flimsy and if they aren't true then you hate to seem someone suffer due merely to accusations and not facts.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Of these, I've seen Coco and Boss Baby, lol. But, I have found that I can still be competitive at Oscar parties without seeing any of the movies. So, here's my guesses on the big entries just based on media impressions:

Best Picture: Three Billboards
    Director: Peele, Get Out
    Actor: Oldman, Darkest Hour
    Actress: McDormand, 3 Billboards
    Animated: Coco
    Screenplay: McDonagh, 3 Billboards
    Adapted Screenplay: Sorkin, Molly's Game

A little tricky because McDonagh didn't get a nomination for Director. If he had, I think he'd have won that one and voters would give the screenplay to Peele. As it stands, if they want to give Get Out some love, they'll have to do it with Best Director, with screenplay giving voters the basis for making 3 Billboards best picture (in addition to McDormand)

8. Entropy

Entropy Member

Bladerunner 2049 should've gotten a Best Picture nom, but 5 other nominations is a good consolation prize.

ghettocheeze, Deckard and RudyTBag like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I have to agree with this, it's VERY overdue for such an amazing actor and his performance in Darkest Hour was fairly spectacular.

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

what stand up comedian would make the most entertaining host given all the sexual harassment stuff? Daniel Tosh?

The best picture films are very weak this year. Get Out, Dunkirk, Darkest Hour were mediocre. Shape of Water was boring. 3 billboards was good. The rest I haven't seen.

11. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

no love for Lego Batman as best animated film, the oscars are a complete joke

ghettocheeze, BigShasta and B-Bob like this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, Windriver is such a better production, from soup to nuts, than some paint-by-numbers like The Post.

At least Hanks didn't get nominated for The Post. He really ruined every scene he was in. (Just saw it this week. Never seen him quite that bad. Maybe since Gump or whatever that crap was.)

ghettocheeze likes this.
  13. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Yep...It's gotten to the point where I hope all blacks lose just so we can hear how much harder they work than everyone else to get to the point they're at in life and how racist hollywood is...because all the non-black actors and actresses never had to do anything but show up to win apparently.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just hope that the people that actually deserve the Oscars get them. I honestly wish we could get past all of this nonsense and get to a point where the Oscars actually mean something more than being just a political (both national and inside Hollywood politics) sh*tshow.

15. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i haven't seen shape of water, get out, ladybird...but 3 billboards was incredible.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Local man wants award show for people who pretend to be other people to seem more authentic and meaningful

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You'd think Hollywood could pull of seeming authentic and meaningful.....I mean isn't that what they are supposed to be good at? People of no substance pretending to be people of substance.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

[​IMG]

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The only reason people care about these awards show is that they want validation that agrees with their particular taste in art and culture. The only validation you need is if you enjoyed it.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This is ultimately true, but good art also evokes an emotional response, which can make you partial or impartial to the artist.