1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2, the 3, and the 5. wtf?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by getbloodyred, Jan 9, 2012.

1. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Martin is just bad on defense. and guess what, so far he's been bad on offense as well. what is going on with Martin, I am seriously concerned for that guy. I want to trade him, but his trade value is plummenting because of his recent performances. *sigh* missing open 3's. not getting to the foul line. i'm done with this guy, i'm sorry.

Budinger can't do anything besides his the 3 pointer from the corner. besides that he has been a liability in all other aspects of the game especially on defense. why is this guy starting? on a championship team he would be a third stringer.

Jordan Hill. I'm not ever going to say anything. simply, the guy should not be starting. same for him, on a championship team he would a third stringer.

My Resolve. GET RID OF THESE GUYS FOR DRAFT PICKS. for the rest of the season, this should be our starting lineup

lowry
    lee
    williams(or parsons, who has been doing very well)
    scola
    dalembert

this is a very good defensive starting 5 btw. which is something we need!, lowry, lee, williams/parsons, and dalembert are very cabable on that end of the floor.

2. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Fyi hill and bud are no longer starting

3. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Martin is butt hurt, his coach is gone, he was almost traded and now there's officiating which takes away some of his game (specifically his ability to draw fouls from that Reggie miller like sweep through motion sorry don't know the technical name)

Right now, all we can do is play it out. We don't have assets to trade, dint have too much cap room or money so it looks like we have to wait and draft for the future.

4. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

oh my bad. i wasn't able to watch the 2nd thunder game. well regardless, these guys just make me mad lol

5. val_modus

val_modus Member

You just seem frustrated and you should be. Martin is a more than capable scorer who is going through a shooters slump which happens to the best of them. When you dont knock down open shots, it will affect other parts of your game aswell, like getting to the hole. He has his deficiencies on defense, but he is in all respect a perfect 2nd or 3rd guy on an elite team. As for Budinger, the guy can't play a lick of defense, but dont take away from other parts of his game.. he is an excellent shooter from mid and three range, one of the best on the fast break, and a pretty solid slasher when aggresive. Hill i agree with you on, the guy is a joke. My point is that all of these guys (except Hill) are solid players, and capable starters, but are playing out of their roles, hopefully Morey can give this team what it ultimately needs: direction.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think "Bulls**t" is the technical name for that maneuver. "Man wtf is that s**t" and "Not this s**t again" are also acceptable.

7. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

ya i guess i should give budinger some more cred. but i just don't really believe he is as a good a player as everybody says he is. i think williams is better, and with the right development i think parsons will be better than him as well. i liked chase A LOT MORE when he was coming off the bench.

8. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Hill has it worse than martin and budinger. The guy is being forced to play center because he is the 3rd tallest player on the team, but is better than one of the people taller than him(thabeet) AND is starting because Dalembert isn't starting until he was at least 75-80% in shape(2nd thunder game).While playing center, he get abused because he doesn't have the strength to hold down the true centers of the league. Basically, if you put the guy back at his natural PF position there is a higher chance he will be a "solid player" or a "capable starter" and he is the ONLY guy of the three who is playing out of position. IMO, when put back at the 4 and given consistent minutes, he has the potential to be a double double guy.

9. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Original thread.

10. val_modus

val_modus Member

Completely agreed. Chase is a perfect burst of energy for the 2nd unit, but he just doesn't have all the tools (like Williams and perhaps Parsons) to be a starter on a team that desperately needs a playmaker at the forward position.

11. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

This "sweep through motion" thing is so freaking overblown. Martin hardly ever did it. He got maybe 2-4 free throws out of it every 4 games.

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Bull thinks that Chase has an awesome set of tools.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I posted something very similar in another thread Saturday .... The one change i would make is that I want to see Twill at the SG not the SF. His size there is an advantage rather than a disadvantage in facing 6'8"-6'10" guy's each night at the SF spot.

My condensed rotation would look something like the following -

Lowry/Dragic
    Lee/Twill
    Parsons/Morris
    Scola/Patterson
    Dalembert/Patterson

If you cuold move Martin , Budinger , Flynn , Thabeet and get a servicable big in return I'd call it a win.

That lineup is considerably better rebounding and defensively than what they started the season with. It might be a good enough rotation to be better than 9th in the western conference .... Or it might be bad enough to sink them to the early lottery (which I think they are headed anyway).

Under that scenario you at least get to see what these guy's are capable rather than the same old 9th in the west pick 14th and get no better migraine headache we've had as fans for the past few seasons.

Aw hell , what am I talkin about , Stern would just screw us over somehow ....

14. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

I honestly don't know why people are so quick to include Martin in every proposed trade. He is the only proven 20+ ppg scorer we have. But he sucks on defense- when has that been an issue for star players in the NBA.

Most NBA top scorers except for kobe, lebron and a select few save their energy on defense and use it on offense. Case in point, Battier having to guard T-Mac's man and his own man hahahaha- well you get the point im tryng to make.

The problem with the team however is that the sf (Bud) and pf(scola) playing with Martin are also defensive liabilities. But i would rather get rid of scola and budinger or put them on the bench than touch Martin. Or start C.Lee/T-Will at SF and someone else not named scola or Hill on pf

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Martin is an elite offensive player and without him we would find it difficult to outscore opponents

16. thething

thething Contributing Member

fixed

17. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Both Hayes and Landry were free agents. I would much rather have Hayes and Landry at the 4 then Scola and Pat. Start Hayes and let Landry destroy off the bench.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

So is Scola for what its worth .... He's shooting 55% from the field so far and should get a lot more touches yet every game it seems they go away from him after a hot start ..... He should touch the ball on the low block on every trip down the floor.

C.Lee isnt far from Martin offensively and is far superior defensively.

You cant have Martin , Budinger and Scola on the floor at the same time and expect to stop anyone or rebound at a reasonable rate.

19. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

C.Lee is very very far from Martin offensively. Otherwise, i agree with every you said

20. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Twill and Dal sarting? I didn't watch the last game.