1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 14th Amendment solution

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Batman Jones, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the least sound solution out of them all.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We've already gone through this a month ago and clearly you are so petty that you keep dragging this up. Really reread your post again. "I admit when I'm wrong all the time (here, all the time). You should try it. It's good for the soul. " really how arrogant and condescending is that.

I have no interest in discussing this further with you because even though I agree with you in principle you are so fixated that nothing but 100% agreement satisfies you.

You aren't looking for a discussion you are looking for validation which I am not going to give to you.

3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That's pretty much what I thought. In that case though why not let the Tea Partiers have their BBA rider knowing that its essentially meaningless since they can't get the 2/3rds majority.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think your analysis is probably right on but I am curious though if Obama has gotten to the point that he feels he can't get anything from the GOP that playing a big risk might pay off and lead to a better political payback for the election.

As I said before I am just speculating for intellectual rumination and I agree with the other posters that this is not in Obama's character.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That is really interesting. I wonder if anyone in the Admin.. has considered that as a possibility of minting more Platinum currency?

Perhaps that's why the Admin. has taken the 14th Amendment off the table. ;)

6. Major

Major Member

Well, I think the original plan from Tuesday/Wednesday was designed to be something that the Senate could edit and send back and be passed by both sides. But when he realized it couldn't pass, he finally relented and just did what the Tea Partiers wanted just so he'd have a bill to say that the House did something. Speculation on my part, but that's my guess of how it played out. The original Boehner bill wasn't too different from the Reid bill, so I think the idea was that he thought it could be the basis for a final plan.

Dems are in a weird position here. They don't want to help Boehner, but if he gets ousted, the world gets a whole lot worse for Dems. His replacement would only be more right-wing, and if the new guy isn't willing to compromise and is happy to shut down the government in October, there's literally nothing the Dems could do about it.

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Bingo. Could not agree more.

Long term, I think that we need a solution that BOTH involves significant spending cuts and additional revenues (ie on the wealthy). If Republicans are concerned about small business owners (which I understand), I would suggest the creation of two new tax brackets. A 38% tax rate on income over $500,000 but less than $2 million, and a tax rate of 39.6% on income over $2 million.

Most of the small business owners would fall under the $500,000 threshold.
    Also, I would remind Republicans that the 39.6% top rate would match the top rate under Reagan.

8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'm sorry you're taking this so personally. I don't need to be 100% right and I don't need validation.

Every time I have posted on this topic I have asked you for one single shred of proof, one supporting argument. If you would just provide one, I will not be right, I will be wrong. And I will admit it. And I will drop it.

But you haven't done that yet. As such, your posts on this have been 100% truthiness.

And I resent the accusation of pettiness. In a debate, it is normal to ask for supporting evidence. Yes, we went over it a month ago and you provided none. You keep saying the same thing but refusing to support it. Sorry, but that's petty. And basso-like.

9. Refman

The BBA scares me to death. It leaves you with no flexibility in the event of a calamity (ie large terrorist attacks that cripple Wall Street and cause economic crisis, etc).

I think that we should balance the budget, all things being equal. A Constitutional amendment that leaves us with no flexibility is a recipe for disaster.

10. Batman Jones

Sounds like you are finally ready, or nearly ready, to come over to the bright side. You needn't worry over becoming a liberal, because our president isn't a liberal; or at least he hasn't governed as one. He has been center-right.

You don't have to leave the Republican party if it will make you feel sorry to do so for, as the saying goes, they have already left you.

There's not a single 2012 GOP candidate that is anywhere near in line with your views as posted here. Who do you plan on supporting in the election?

11. Refman

I honestly have no idea. When the primaries start and the campaigning begins, I am all ears. I have eliminated nobody (except Rick Perry).

12. Batman Jones

Let me see if I'm hearing you right. Are you saying that if Perry's the nominee you will vote Obama? Given how often and on how much we agree it would be fun to be backing the same candidate. And you know I've been saying for years you're a Democrat that just doesn't know it yet. ;)