1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The “give me Harden over FVV” takes are embarrassing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Oct 24, 2024 at 5:07 AM.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He would not have been cheaper, we would have signed him to the same contract as FVV.

I get it's tempting to accelerate things but I personally think it's short sighted. Given Harden's track record of demanding control over personnel moves and drama, coupled with his obvious decline from his MVP days, I understand why they didn't bring him back. I'd rather try and build longer term success even if it isn't as good in the short term.

Patience and cbass like this.
  2. JW86

JW86 Member

And yet my points which are all valid are not discussed and went over y’all heads. Guess it’s easier to mock and look tough than to understand the message.

xaos likes this.
  3. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

Fred is better at running the offense compared to Reed/Amen, sure, but your issue is comparing him to James. Fred is a better mentor, but this isn't little league. It's a make or miss league.

Ramo$e likes this.
  4. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

This is correct. If you replaced Van Vleet with Harden, this would be the most talented team Harden ever played with in Houston. It's not that Van Vleet doesn't know how to run an offense, it's just he's not good at it because his size and athleticism limit him.

Crashlanded19, Reeko and highpost1388 like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I get that Harden is a better offensive player than FVV, but he's no longer the defensive ace he was with Houston. He's gotten much worse on defense since he's been away.

Ramo$e likes this.
  6. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

There is no data to say Fred is a better mentor. Unless he's trying to teach them how to be inefficient chuckers that lose games against worse teams.

PeterKingX likes this.
  7. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

There are definitely reports about the way James was acting, forcing the team to stay extra nights in cities he wanted to party in, stuff like that. I mean James is an absolute baller, but capitulating to someone on that level is not my preferred way to teach the young kids how to be pros. No one can question James on the court or even as someone who works on his craft, but I don't think he's a great mentor at all. Freddy was undrafted and had to work his way up through sheer will power, which is commendable.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

FVV is not at Harden's level running an offense. I think it is pretty clear that FVV and Sengun carried the offense last season for most of time (not counting March), and that the Rockets offense typically cratered anytime he was not on the court.
    Yep, FVV has his most inefficient game in three seasons and he's an inefficent chucker.

DVauthrin and cbass like this.
  9. StoneBall

StoneBall Member

Agreed. And who says Reed's mentor even has to be a point guard? I think any player with a high basketball IQ can be a mentor.

10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

He IS cheaper. Harden earns $33 million, FVV earns $42 million. Do you understand how numbers work?

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I actually didn’t and still don’t want Harden back, but…

When was the last season Harden actually had any control over personnel? Didn’t have it with Brooklyn, Philly or LAC. He had it back when he had a pretty strong reason to have it. Hasn’t been the case for a while.

12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Harden wouldn't be able to play under Ime. It was a culture fit over a talent fit.

I love Harden and wish he came back but we all know it couldn't co-exist.

13. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

A depleted Clippers team and James Harden lost to a healthy Suns team by 1 point in OT….. Harden would’ve willed us to a win last night against the freaking Hornets at home.

PeterKingX and Dobbizzle like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

he might, but it wouldn’t even be a question if Harden is here because we’d be a strong playoff team and I think he’d have Sengun averaging 25-26 ppg on like 58% shooting

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t blame him for leaving BK, and Morey is lying weasel

all I know is he would take this team to another level and really help our young players when it comes to offense

But people are on here acting like Fred is better for basketball or even championship reasons and I’m like how??? In what world?

Dobbizzle likes this.
  16. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

i feel some people have a really shortsighted vision, specially after losses.

when we get ready to contend, harden will be 38, and we will have a bunch of young guys in their prime who are very dependant on one guy to generate the whole offense, instead of giving them the tools to develop a system around them.

if harden was 28, yeah, for sure. he is 35 though.

xaos, mfastx and Patience like this.
  17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

No joke he could average 35 easily. Knowing Ime tho he would just tell Harden to chunk shots like FVV tho

18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

@Reeko gimme Harden f it! I hate how he left but last night’s loss did something to me as a fan.

Crashlanded19, Reeko and Dobbizzle like this.
  19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Difference is Harden would actually make some of them, so we'd still win.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I always thought FVVs contract was a trade chip whenever we get ready to get a real star. I am a huge harden fan so I am biased about which one I would rather have on this team.

Crashlanded19 and Dobbizzle like this.