1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

That's it then? The BBS hates Harden now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by srrm, May 13, 2017.

?

Are you done with Harden?

1. Yes, I'm done with Harden

48 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. No, not yet, there's still some future there

80 vote(s)
    49.4%
  3. No, I'

34 vote(s)
    21.0%
  1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I agree with you. Game 5 left me dumbfounded. I still can't believe what I witnessed from James Harden in Game 5. I mean, I'm still thinking about Game 5 days later!

Game 5 was when I started to realize that maybe James Harden really doesn't want it.

Kawhi on the bench, The game is almost wrapped up, role players are hitting big shots, Rockets on the cusp of going up 3 games to potentially close it out in Houston with maybe an injured Kawhi. Which superstar player isn't licking his chops? Before that 4th quarter and OT, I had every confidence Harden was going to lead the Rockets to a victory.. Harden all of sudden forgot how to play basketball

After Game 5 I just sat there looking at the Chromecast picture slide show searching for answers.. I don't think I will ever forget Game 5.

I haven't watched anything sports related since Game 5.

I did watch Game 6, but I'm not counting Game 6 as sports. No sports were seen in Game 6...:(

2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I don't hate Harden, but I am deeply disappointed with how the season ended. No way a succesfull regular season and mildly successful playoffs should end in a 39-point beat down at home.

For 5 straight years, the guy has taken us to the playoffs, having achieved deeper runs than many of his predecessors.

For whatever reason, that tough as nails player who multiple times brush off ankle sprains like nothing, wasn't there in game 6. That game 6 Harden was not anyone here would recognize. I don't know what or who there was.

I think most of us are simply looking for a reasonable explanation from him. A mental breakdown would be totally understandable in my view, given how much responsibility he has had to shoulder for this team to function. Anything plausible.

MDA and some of you posters have it right. -- one game can not and should not be representative of a whole season.

After cooling off, I am ready to forgive and forget.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  3. maw7079_2000

maw7079_2000 Member

Not knee jerk... this is 4 years straight now.

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I need to hear that 'reasonable explanation' first.... I'll even accept an unreasonable explanation if it comes with an apology and a promise not to let it happen again.... lol

5. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Dwight Howard, for all his limitations, never quit as a Rocket in the playoffs. He played his guts out, you could tell he wanted it.

As a Rocket, about 70% of Harden's playoff games have been sub-par, including several games where he looked like he forgot how to play basketball and was completely uninterested.

cheke64 likes this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree though.

People are calling him a quitter when it is just as likely that he completely choked.

Like the moment became to big for him and he played scared. That's a lot different than quitting. I'm not even sure which one is preferred.

Junebball likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The choke is preferred to quitting. At least when you're choking you're fighting for air.

8. Raven

Raven Member

He played like he'd been up 48 hours straight. I don't think a concussion had anything to do with it.

9. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Fair enough

I'm still willing to chalk up these issues he's having as part of earning his way to being a great playoff performer as well

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

I think Harden might've just had a mental breakdown. Game 6 was just too bizarre. Not even game 5 against GS was like this.

As for him going out to party right after, Travis Scott said that Harden was in his house depressed and Travis got his boys to bring Harden to him on some "yeah, u had a bad night, but you're not gonna just sit in your house feeling sorry for yourself, I'm not gonna let u do that" type sh*t. I can relate to that. I have had my friends do the same thing for me before.

Game 6 was just inexplicable tho. To not even attempt a shot in the 1st quarter? Nah, that wasn't Harden. That was an imposter. He was so lifeless. It looked like his soul had left his body. The rest of the team didn't look much better tbh, but I have never seen Harden look like that.

Harden in game 6 was like if prime Usain Bolt had finished in last place while showing no signs of an injury.

11. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

The less productive Harden in the playoffs vs regular season is a concern to me.

12. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

He'll talk when he's ready to talk.

That was not James. He was "fine" but that's relative. I don't have many details other than there were a combination of things going on.

Ne already said he wanted back, publicly and privately. The situation has to be right at his age (and for his family...{send your love that way, btw}), along with the player personnel (see:bigs). He chose the Rockets over money this year. He's happy (more than he's been in years), but not with how the team ended, and definitely not his own ending. He and James have developed a good bond, and he already knew Trev well. Chemistry is underrated...but so is being able to finish, regardless of the "mess."

I'm still a bit in shock...on many fronts.

It's tough being a Rockets fan right now.

malakas, J Sizzle, Deuce and 12 others like this.
  13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Game 1 started with us feeling so high. Games 2 and 3 could be written off as officiating disasters. Game 4 brought back hope. Game 5 was a dagger to the heart and game 6 was just the bleed out. Not a story I'd read again.

J Sizzle likes this.
  14. hakeemthagreat

Or Harden stays & quits on us every year come playoff time. I guess ppl are fine with having a quitter as long as he brings us media attention. The "heart of a champion" Rockets slogan has died I see

kjayp likes this.
  15. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

So there was something going on then? Hmmmm... The plot thickens.

16. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Or they are thickening the plot....so he has something to say when he finally shows his face.

Cashmoney likes this.
  17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You don't give up on Harden. That's just stupid. He's arguably been the MVP of the season 2 of the last 3 years. Certainly he'll finish a minimum of 2nd in both of those. You don't toss that aside.

Harden is one of a handful of the best players in the game. He's a guy that can lead pretty much any group of players to the playoffs which is not something you can say about every star who puts up numbers, see Anthony Davis, Kevin Love, etc. He will perennially put the Rockets in a competitive position.

The problem is that there's a large case being built that he's not capable of being "the man" in the playoffs. Whether it's mental or he's physically beat by that point, the evidence is overwhelming. I don't think it's case closed as he has the capability to improve. Historically we've seen Lebron change his script and we've seen Dream do it as well.

The question should be, how on earth do we get somebody next to him and what position should that be? I'm not sure how to maximize Harden's ability but you absolutely don't throw it away.

Hakeemtheking and srrm like this.
  18. MystikArkitect

19. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Codman is the best, I'll be waiting patiently for the details to spill at some point?

Codman likes this.
  20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

6 straight years if you include the finals and his first year here. he has elite talent but what good is it if he'sgonna choke in big games?

cheke64 likes this.