1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

That didn't last long: Petrino to leave Falcons for Ar-Kansas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cannonball, Dec 11, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

2. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

yeah, it really sucks, poor little arkie-saw can't get no one to come coach that football team full of them boys that are married to their cousins. poor little arkie-saw, it's ok these jerkoffs think its funny to say (and type) the name wrong on purpose. poor little arkie-saw go on head be happy with a slimeball as your head coach just because he gets you to 4-4 in the conference with one of the all time greatest backfields. poor little arkie-saw you go on head be happy now with what you got cuz you'll never be any better. poor little arkie-saw you were dumb for trying to make yourself better, you should just accept mediocrity. poor little arkie-saw, you ain't nothin but a bunch of unrealistic fans.

3. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

I'd like to see a list of all the big-name college coaches in football AND basketball that signed a big contract and didn't last more than a couple years...

Nick Saban
    Billy Donovan (5 days)
    Rick Pitino (twice)

A few recent ones that come to mind. And now this guy.

It just seems like the good pro coaches who come from collegiate sports skip the "big time program" tier (at least as a head coach) and go pro at some level.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Good for Petrino. He gets to join an elite class of coaches in the SEC and a inherit a supportive fanbase. Its not his fault the Falcons fell to the dogs.

5. tulexan

tulexan Member

Don't forget the Ole Ball Coach

6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I bet that dirty piggie in Dallas is behind all this.

7. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

He's a great coach, and Arkansas will be better for hiring him. The thing with Petrino is, just like Larry Brown, you can't just plan for this hire. You have to plan for the hire two or three years down the road when he leaves for another job.

8. Major

Major Member

Wow, dude's kind of an ass.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7553354?MSNHPHMA

Petrino called a staff meeting late Tuesday afternoon, a meeting which last about 10 seconds, sources said.

He just said to us, 'Guys I've resigned, I'm going to Arkansas. I'm sorry. I'll be talking with you guys in the future.' And with that he turned and walked out the door. We haven't been told anything else," said one assistant coach.

At this point, the assistant coaches have not been told who will be coaching the team going forward.

Petrino did not address the team following his resignation. Players are livid with the way Petrino left the team and several called his handling of the situation "classless."

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

That is kind of worrisome.

10. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

just as i was about to post about hall arguing with him earlier in the season, he was just on sportscenter ripping petrino.

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

What did he say?

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

It's amazing that you're just allowed to resign and ignore four remaining years on your contract like that. Seriously, what does a "contract" even mean anymore?

Will he even be penalized? Obviously, since this whole Arkansas thing happened so suddenly he's been in negotiations with Arkansas for quite some time. Don't you need permission from the Falcons to do that?

13. Major

Major Member

I could be wrong, but I think the permission thing is only within a particular league. So, if he were to leave Arkansas tomorrow, he couldn't go coach for some other NFL team.

Similarly, if Mack Brown decides he wants to go coach at Michigan, he'd have to negotiate a buyout with Texas. If Texas wanted get rid of Mack Brown, they'd also have to negotiate a buyout (or just fire him and pay him the whole contract). However, if Mack wanted to go coach the Atlanta Falcons, he could just leave. But UT would retain his rights preventing him from coaching in college unless he negotiated a buyout. I'm assuming Petrino negotiated a settlement at Louisville when he left just so he'd have options down the road, but I don't think he needed to when going to the Falcons.

At least, I think that's how it works.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Interesting. Your interpretion of the rules makes sense, I just figured it wasn't that easy. Thanks for the clarification.

15. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

petrino is a total low life. he had no right to leave his team and assistants like that. I see why Hall didn't trust him.

saban 2.0

16. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

just said he felt betrayed, and obviously him questioning petrino and his system earlier in the year he wasnt to surprised he left. though he said he thought he was turning the corner with the falcons and on the right path. he even ripped arkansas, said something to the effect of hes going to an arkansas team that isnt that good, and will be struggling in the SEC. also said he wouldnt be as mad if petrino would have just said i dont like being here, its not my thing, but with him being on tv smiling doing the whole suuuueee or whatever they do at arkansas is classless

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't get why everyone gets worked up when a coach gets out. Its not like he is leaving his wife and kids or something. Moving up and to better positions. Thats what coaching is about. Finding the environment where you are most comfortable and have the ability to succeed.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The more I hear about this, the more I respect I lose for Petrino. You just can't defend any of this. He cut bait before the season was over (please, tell me how he couldn't wait and take over in three weeks). He lies with a straight face (I didn't talk to them until today?????).

Classless, no integrity. I hope anyone he recruits keeps this in mind.

What an *******.

Evan

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Had he left for Arkansas the day after Atlanta's season ended, I wouldn't care. Had he accepted the position but finished out the season with the Falcons before leaving to start, I wouldn't care. To slip out in the night and leave the team high and dry, regardless if they're playing for nothing? That's classless. Be a man and at least finish this year out. 3 more weeks.

Evan

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

On the other hand, one of his assistants will become the interim HC and perhaps gain the inside track on the full-tiime job.