1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thank you Silas - a real coach!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I still think he could manage minutes better. I am sure if he can't real time do it someone on his staff might be able to help him. Minutes would have been better looking like this.

[​IMG]

This isn't the only game I think he could have spread the minutes better.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

or Edmonton

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Silas is more than capable of saying as much. To me there's nothing wrong with telling your guys what they're not doing and not buying in is a choice the players are making. Whatever the reason they're not buying in, I think it would work to say it.

I still have faith that the team will buy in eventually and stop playing 500 ball. It might not look good, but there is so much time to make things right.

Deckard likes this.
  4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The definition of craziness is doing something over and over again expecting different results. 27 missed 3s is an example of that. Let's also not forget D'Antoni has an overall losing sub .500 win percent in the playoffs. I don't think he is a bad coach - but he has a ceiling as I mentioned. He had plenty of chances in Houston - at some point you have to acknowledge it wasn't quite working out or you become the definition of crazy...

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

I dont think using 27 3s is an example of bad coaching, please look over at the ECF where the widely renowned Brad Stevens had his players doing the exact same thing. If you wanted different sets to be run, that's fine, but the idea that shooting 27 3s is some hack coaching job is not adequate criticism. We were undermanned and overmatched. Using sub 500 isnt a good reflection when you realize there have been injuries to his team that have cost him championships multiple times. He's had his chances but there have been things that have been out of his control. Cp3 being injured, the Cp3 trade, simply not having enough talent on the floor. Let's see if Silas can do better.

6. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Silas needs to watch some or all of the game highlight reels on YouTube. Opposite teams are scoring like savants, role players are killing us and our goals are rarely generated from fluid offensive sets. He can either blame Harden for sabotage (which is basically what he’s saying), or he can look in the mirror and ask why our offensive sets are not generating points and our defensive lapses are so glaring.

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

yeah because Youtube highlight reels are WAY better than what the Rockets staff can generate :D

Deckard and HP3 like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i watched him say this to camera couple of years ago...
    btw i liked dantoni and his approach and if not for some unfortunate circumstances he deserved at least a title or 2

however i do like this change and I am ready to give silas the chance ... not sure if he can be properly judged at all because this is too short of a stint, but i am satisfied with the results so far

HP3 likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the image is not working , fix it, actualy it does work , juts needs to be clicked on

10. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea, I know that's where Im getting it from.

Uhh...me as well. I cant say Im happy with 2-3 though but I do like him and I think he deserves time.

Nook likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sounds like McHale.

DD

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

A lot of times it’s good to have external points of view (who are not beholden to showing the product that casts the owner/GM/coach/star in the best possible light). What’s the staff’s motivation in stringing together clips after clips of ugly ball and defensive lapses?

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

to help the team improve its performance in subsequent games? just a guess

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

They lost because he was Dumbtoni. What was it, 5 yrs in PHX and 3 yrs in Houston of having a contender and not making the Finals? You should go to the Nets boards and convince them their new offensive assistant coach is amazing.

#34 roslolian, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  15. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I'll just say that I like what I'm seeing from Coach Silas. Guy has definitely gained the respect of his players from the get-go. This is mostly about what we should expect from our head coach moving forward. Instead of icing out McHale and MDA, we should be taking the lessons learned from their mistakes and retain the positives. On that front, I think Silas is doing it right. It helps that he and MDA share the same concepts e.g. 5-out and switching.

rockets1995 likes this.
  16. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

MDA with Bzdelik on his staff was the right coach for the right team for the challenge of taking down the Warriors. When a lot of people clowned the hire initially I liked it.

But he was pretty bad in two previous gigs when he didn't have the perfect personnel to do what he wanted and he was atrocious in the playoffs last year.

Idk if Silas will ultimately be better but I'm glad Mike is not our coach anymore.

The "knows more than you" statement is pretty lame. You could say that about almost any NBA coach.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

Okay?

You mean New York which was super great after he left with Melo lol? Or was it LA where all his players where injured or shells of themselves Nash, Bryant and Dwight? Like LA wasnt even relevant until Lebron got there. Anyone could win with Lebron and AD.

Idk for what reason, yea he was bad against LA, really bad. But Westbrook was also really trash and no coach could make that work the way this dude was playing.

Is it though? There is so many dudes on here who dont know what they are talking about and woulndt know an adjustment if they saw it, Im perfectly fine saying that dudes dont know what they are talking about on here and that Dantoni on offense usually knows what he's doing.

18. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

The Knicks went 18-6 the rest of the season after MDA got fired and won 54 games the next season.

The hype around the Lakers that year was misguided but they should have been better than 40-32 during the stretch Mike coached them.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea that's because Melo never wanted to play the way Mike wanted him to. Then what happend the Knicks were trash and they never had any real success. They were pseudo contenders for about 1 year and that was it. And by the end of it they turned on Melo. Mike Woodson also got fired hasnt been seen in the NBA since. If you remember they were actually doing pretty well before Melo got there.

What do you mean, an injured barely playing 37 year old Nash, a Dwight Howard who was coming off a back injury and Kobe Bryant at 35-36 years old. They werent that good and were still trash after Mike left.

20. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

You don't know who everybody is or what they know. if D'Antoni was a real coach then all of the coaches are. I personally lost respect for him as an "elite coach" when he refused to make adjustments. It's one thing to have a game plan, but when it's not working coaches need to ADJUST. Especially in the playoffs. Having one of the best players of all time on the team is why the Rockets have been successful. He put the ball in Harden hands and let him work his magic. D'Antoni was a glorified cheerleader who never once held himself accountable for anything.

hakeem94 likes this.