1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thai School Gets Transvestite Bathrooms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pickymen, Jun 21, 2008.

1. pickymen

pickymen Contributing Member

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=5190284

Thai School Gets Transvestite Bathrooms
    Cross-dressing students get own bathrooms at rural Thai school
    By AMBIKA AHUJA
    The Associated Press

BANGKOK, Thailand

For teen boys who prefer to dress as girls at one rural high school in Thailand, taking a bathroom break no longer means choosing between "male" and "female" restrooms. There's now a "transvestite toilet."

The Kampang School in northeastern Thailand conducted a survey last term that showed more than 200 of the school's 2,600 students considered themselves transgender, said school director Sitisak Sumontha.

So, when classes resumed in May, the school unveiled a unisex restroom designated by a human figure split in half — part man in blue and part woman in red. Below it are the words "Transvestite Toilet."

Three transgender students praised the new restroom as they plucked their eyebrows and applied face powder in front of the mirror outside the stalls.

"I'm so happy about this," Vichai Sangsakul, a teenager with a pixie hairdo pulled back with a pink barrette, told Thailand's PBS news channel on Tuesday. "It looks bad going to female restrooms. What would other people think?"

Most rural Thais are conservative in many ways, but the trailblazing toilet initiative at the school in northeastern Sisaket province reflects another aspect of Thai society: its tolerance of the country's very visible transgender community. The term describes a wide range of identities including cross-dressers, transvestites, transsexuals and those born with the physical characteristics of both sexes.

"These students want to be able to go to the restroom in peace without fear of being watched, laughed at or groped," said school director Sitisak Sumontha.

He said the concept reflected a growing need at Thai schools and universities.

Kampang is not Thailand's first educational institution to set up unisex washrooms, though Sitisak said he believed it was a first for a secondary school. A 1,500-student technical college in the northern province of Chiang Mai set up a "Pink Lotus Bathroom" for its 15 transvestite students in 2003.

Deputy Education Minister Boonlue Prasertsopar recently said the ministry plans to count the number of transgender university students.

He said he was not promoting transgender interests, "but if there are a lot of them in a university and it's a problem, we may have to consider building toilets and dormitories for them."

Transgenders are regularly seen on TV soap operas and throughout Bangkok, working at department store cosmetics counters, popular restaurants, in office jobs and in the capital's red-light districts. Thailand also has transgender beauty pageants.

----------------------------------

Bold move by the school.

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

About damn time.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

i wonder if they'd be cleaner than regular guy toilets?

4. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Maybe they'll have the worst of both worlds. Messy, wet bathroom with piss all over the floor (guys) and used tampons scattered (girls).

Of course, I'm just assuming with the girls. Never been to one. Cept maybe in first grade when I chased a girl in there.. but that doesn't count.

5. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Whats next? Toilets for dogs?

6. MattM

MattM Member

Pretty funny that this made our national news.

7. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

It's only news because they use the t-word. Unisex bathrooms are nothing new, of course the interesting/noteworthy element of the story is that its implemented at a school rather than the idea itself. It's Thailand though, I'm surprised they don't have sex tourism mandated in the curriculum.

I suppose TG's have the right to pee guilt-free just like the normals.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I went inside a couple in middle and high school. Damn, they were CLEAN. I'm talking spotless. You could probably live in there. Of course, this is compared to the filth of the boys restrooms.

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Transvestite?

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Can't say this is shocking. Even though I heard about them before going, the number of transvestites I saw in Thailand surprised me.

11. TheMountainTop

Holy crap I never knew so many Thai people were transvestites!

12. LeoneWestern

LeoneWestern Rookie

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MuZIL4zD1tE&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MuZIL4zD1tE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

What the heck :eek: That's just creepy..I never thought Transvestites would be in a school at all but now a bathroom the world must be going crazy.

14. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

she actually looks pretty good

[​IMG]

16. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Thailand is a messed up place. Boys routinely get sex changes down there so they can become prostitutes in Bangkok and send home money to the family back on the farm. A buddy of mine lives in Thailand and swears you can't tell the difference when they've got their clothes on.

The Thai people are fairly slender and hairless to begin with, so really it's the perfect ethnicity for a male to female sex change. So, not only does playing in the rampant sex trade down there carry the risk of AIDS, you might not even be hittin' a real chick! Good times...