1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thaddeus Young?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Egghead, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Egghead

Egghead Member

This is pure speculation..

Sixerfan1976 is a reliable source on the Sixers RealGM board. All the Sixers fans trust his information. Sixerfan1976 has mentioned on the board Thaddeus Young would probably be traded when the Sixers draft Evan Turner. Interestingly in his latest post, he mentions Sixers would trade Thad Young to get Cole Aldrich. Many mock drafts have Aldrich available @ #14, some even have the Rockets selecting him. So would yall trade the the 14th pick (if Aldrich is still available) for Thad Young? Thad Young is a SF/undersized PF. The Rockets already have a lot of SFs on the team. I think this would be a Morey move, Thad Young is still on his rookie contract. He makes $2.9 MIL next season and has $4 MIL qualifying offer for 2011-2012 season.

thoughts??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: The Sixerfan1976 Draft Thread (Update Pg. 14)

Postby sixerfan1976 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:05 pm
    why wasnt i able to find out? because he didnt tell me. I would never ever complain about not hearing everything. I dont bite the hand that feeds me.

Anyway....Spent 5 minutes on phone tonight.

Hawes is projected as the starter at center. Can he lose that job in camp? sure.....but Brand is gonna play PF and Hawes at center..thats the plan..Brand may get some minutes at center when they go small and depending on matchups

The deal was a "no brainer" due to:
    1)Luxury Tax implications
    2)Dalembert had become a locker room issue and they thought this was good value to let him go now instead of end of year.
    3)Sacramento was the only team willing to pay his trade kicker and came at us aggressively about this.

Collins loves Hawes (compared him to a young Brad Miller) and thinks Nocioni is very useable. He is a scrapper. Stefanski was concerned about nocionis contract and Collins told him he will be worth it. He thinks both will earn regular playing time. They felt the young center they got here was better than any they could have gotten in the draft(cousins or favors wasnt an option after getting turner)

Now that we got another SF...carney wont be back.

Thad could still go for Aldrich..otherwise they may just try and get a guy in 2nd round like Jordan or trade Kapono for a vet center.

Toronto deal wont happen because Jarrett Jack wants to start and he wont here. Plus with Meeks and Nocioni and for now Kapono..we have enough shooters.(dont need belinelli)

Indy deal for Foster still may happen(perhaps for Kapono). dont know about the #10 pick.

chances are slightly less than thad gets moved based off getting their center of the future without him.....but they definitely would move him for aldrich.

Final question I asked was the tayshaun prince offer true......he said yes but it wasnt close. Not giving up the 2 pick without a stud (overwhelming offer that they dont plan on receiving). They didnt want villanueva either.

Thats all for now....its 100 percent turner but they will do their due diligence with cousins,favors and wes johnson in next few days.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1018431&start=240
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Member

I think we could use a backup center a lot more than we could a 4th SF.

3. Egghead

Egghead Member

This team is in a win now mode. If you can trade the 14th pick (aldrich) for thad young... you do it. Battier or Jared Jeffries expiring contract can be moved to pick up a backup center.

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Member

Is Thaddeus Young win now though? I don't really think we're a Thaddeus Young away from beating the Lakers.. and I don't really think he's better than Battier. I mean, he's young.. has potential.. but he's no where near the defender or shooter that Shane is. I think our team is better off keeping Shane and drafting Aldrich than it would be if we took on Thaddeus in a bench role and tried to get a C through a trade.

5. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

I wouldn't trade Cole Aldrich for Thaddeus Young if he falls to our laps on draft night.

6. RV6

RV6 Member

doesnt make sense to give up the 14th pick in a strong draft to get a guy who's going to back up Ariza for 10-15 mins at most. As long as Ariza is here he's going to be playing 35 mins plus. His back up isn't a priority. At 14 you can possibly get a solid back immediately, with potential to start in 2-3 years.

7. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I would rather have Aldrich.

8. Egghead

Egghead Member

honestly,

I think Thaddeus Young > Trevor Ariza.

9. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Not defensively and Thad was rather disappointing this year.

We have a more dire need for a center like Aldrich, why trade him to slightly improve at the 3 when we have enough wings?

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Keep up the good work Egghead. I would rather have Jeff Green, but Thaddeus Young would be a solid upgrade.

I am of the mind that upgrading the 3 should be high on the to-do list...

Again, Jeff Green would be worth it. Thaddeus I am not so sure, but I say you take the proven player for the 14 EVERY time...

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I would like to add Young or Green. I think we need a guy that is more of a 3/4.

Green+2nd rounder for #14+2012 first rounder

12. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I think if we move battier he could be great pick up, if we keeping Battier then there is no point of signing him bcuz he'll not get enough minutes

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

all the other rockets players better keep a close watch on they girls/wives if the thaddeus ends up on our roster

14. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

i'm all for it..Battier should be moved if Morey made this deal.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure how TY is an upgrade or a win now player. Young's play was spotty at best for an awful team. I'm not so sure the Rockets want to get younger at the SF position. We really need a backup big more than anything right now, with some length that can play some solid D. Glad you're thinking Egghead, I just don't agree.

16. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

hmm...what if Morey had a deal for Thad and Speights? wishful thinking.. :grin:

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

I'd do it. Young is worth more than Aldrich. We could either play him and get his 18-21 PER consistently in our line-up or trade him for something that would be worth more than what we could get with 14 alone. Which is why Philly won't do it.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This. I think we started to see this a little with Battier right after the Kevin Martin trade when there was an opening in the PF rotation. But Battier is of more value at the SF position.

Young would give the team a legit "Shawn Marion-type" who can rebound AND run the floor like a deer. I'd gladly give up the #14 pick and David Andersen (to make salaries match) for Thaddeus.

(On a related note, if nothing pans out for Young or a similar player, and depending on how the roster shuffles out during the summer, I'd love for the Rockets to make a run at Ryan Gomes. There is a legit chance that he gets waived in the next month or so because his contract is only partially guaranteed for the next three years. If Minnesota trades him to a team doing a salary dump, Gomes may be cut loose, despite him being a fairly productive player. He's a good shooter and he can play multiple positions. He's another kind of 3/4 who could carve a nice niche out for himself on this Rockets team. If he becomes a free agent . . . Get 'er done, Morey!)

19. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Gomes? isn't he a pick by Morey when he was at Boston?

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Thaddeus Young only averaged 5.9 Reb per 36 min, he's not that great a rebounder. Budinger averaged 5.3 , Ariza 5.5 and Battier 5.2. He is only an average shooter, with spotty fundamentals. He has a little more offensive game, but this squad is loaded with offensive firepower.

Thaddeus Young isn't an upgrade over Battier or Ariza, if he is, it's only a small one. IMO Cole Aldrich will step right in and be one of the 10-15 best Centers in the league, and a substantial upgrade over everyone else we have at the 5.