1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Texas vs. Memphis who wins?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by DaDakota, Mar 29, 2008.

?

Texas vs. Memphis - who will win?

1. Texas - Hook em Horns !!

50.7%
  2. Memphis - Rose to the rescue !!

49.3%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Huge game coming up on Sunday....The number 1 seed Memphis Tigers take on the number 2 seed Texas Longhorns for the right to go to the final 4.

Mempis is long and athletic, UT has the best PG in college, and some awesome defense.

Who wins?

I say Texas.....

DD

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I have a feeling that Memphis is going to win just because of their size down low.

If Texas is hitting it's 3's then they will give them a fight. I just have a hard time seeing Texas pulling this one off.

But hey that's why they play the games and not predict.

3. joshbo90

joshbo90 Member

this game is going to be awesome, I hope Texas wins

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Texas. In a close game, free throws eventually take a toll.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Home court will help.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Texas did what I expected them to do against Stanford. The difference in athleticism and guard play put them over the top. Tomorrow, Memphis' athleticism will be too much for Texas. They will dominate close to the basket. The only way Memphis loses this game is to choke.

OT: The National Championship game is happening today in Charlotte, where UNC plays Louisville. It's really too bad they aren't in different brackets because UL would smoke any of the other #1 seeds but I don't think they can take down UNC.

7. Buck Turgidson

What a bunch of bs.

8. The Cat

It's rare for me to ever support KU, but I can't wait for Kansas to crush the winner of that game to prove to the media that great basketball exists outside of the ACC and Big East. Anything can happen, but Kansas has consistently been the most dominant team all season.

Also, Memphis may have slightly more athleticism, but Texas is a much better shooting team and its big men are playing very well.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If Memphis runs the ball and attacks the rim, I don't see Texas staying with them. If Memphis gets lazy and shoots jumpers, good for Texas. If Augustine and Abrams don't have good games, say goodbye. I'm concerned it may be tough for either guy to get his shot off, especially Abrams. Augustine will probably have to go the full 40 minutes and could get worn down.

For the record, I want Texas to win. I like their players and coach Barnes. If the game is close with ~10 minutes to go, Memphis could get tight and make bad decisions.

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DJ averaged 37 minutes a game this year, and 36 a game last year. He played 38 minutes or more in a game 21 times this year. I'm not worried about DJ playing extensive minutes.

I also am a huge fan of Barnes moving Justin Mason to the point a lot more. It gives DJ more of an opportunity to score, in addition to the nastiness of having to chase around both Abrams and Augustin off screens. Having DJ, AJ, and Mason all on the court will limit the effects of any press.

This game will come down to how effective Damion James, Connor Atchley, and the bench bigs are.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Texas doesn't need to get a bunch of blocks or steals, just sit back and let their poor shooting be the defense. Any team that has given Memphis a run for their money this year made it a shooting game. If we can get them in a shooting contest, we should win.

Plus, Barnes is having the best coaching year he's had while he's been at Texas. I give them the nod.

I will be cheering against McGrady's team tomorrow, his favorite tourney team, that is. (his brother is going to Memphis)

12. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

abrams will have a hard time getting his shot off against memphis. all of their guards are like 6'5. need a HUGE game from augustin/abrams/james if we expect to win. also t-mac has a brother? :eek:

13. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

If both teams play their best, Memphis wins hands down.

That said, this is where Memphis playing patsies all year long might come back to bite them when Texas has faced tough competition all year long.

It should be a good one, but I think I'll go Memphis in a close one.

14. The Cat

I don't understand this at all. Texas isn't really at a talent disadvantage to anyone. If both teams play their best, it's a very close game.

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

For those of you following Texas all year - just how good is Augustin? From the little I've seen, I'd put him top 10 in draft, but NBADraft has him at 17 currently. What are his weaknesses / strengths?

16. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Austin falls to Memphis. GO C-USA!

17. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

I'm hoping UT wins, but is Memphis the most underrated college team of all-time? 1 through 10 they are, imo, probably the most talented team since 96 Kentucky, yet not many people give them their due.

Their athleticism and length is going to give Texas problems. I guess we'll see how big a home court advantage reliant really is.

18. DoitDickau

Great college point guard, but his size/defense is the biggest issue for the pros. When aaron brooks has a size advantage on you, you know you're in trouble.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Augustine is better than Brooks......as a PG....he is insanely good....

DD

20. DoitDickau

I have no doubt about that, but one of his main weaknesses as a pro prospect is that, on a good day, he is 5-11 and will have trouble guarding in the pros. The list of sub-6 ft players that excelled in the pro is pretty short.