1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas vs. Duke (College Basketball)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by junglerules, Dec 8, 2005.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I'm sure Paulino will take most of the defensive duties against Reddick.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

the unis are um...

they ought to put a blue flying dildo on their chest.

Continental Airlines Arena is basically Cameron North.

3. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Thank you! People need to remember that Duke is pretty much Princeton South (with a much better basketball program).

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you. Continental Airlines Center will be packed with Blue Devils. Too bad the game was scheduled during exam week for UT, that would have been a sweet trip if I had time.

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I haven't seen UT at all this year, and only watched Dook a few times. Honestly, I'm surprised that Dook has kinda struggled, seeing as they brought back the same team as last year.

Good luck UT. With Reddick and Shelden, you're gonna need it :) .

6. junglerules

junglerules Member

??? Dude, the only difference between these unis and the typical ones are the color. How the hell can you even compare them to the crap that the Rockets wore for years? The UT jerseys don't have any lame-ass graphics, pine stripes, etc. Just Black with "TEXAS" written on them- can't go wrong there.

7. junglerules

junglerules Member

He's obviously going to be a stud, but I'm just saying he certainly isn't there yet. Seems to still be deferring too much to Shelden and Redick. He's got all the tools, but sometimes that isn't enough, especially early in the year.

Potential stat of the game: Currently, Texas outrebounds it's opponents by 14 a game, and Duke GETS outrebounded by 1.6 per game. Hmmmm....could be interesting. I'm starting to think it's Texas' game to lose unless Duke shoots lights out, especially from 3.

8. RocketsFAN3035

well, its prediction time, and I'm still battling. After what happened Sunday night, I'm not sure what to expect. The Devils seem to play to the level of thier competition (i.e., they play bad vs. a Va. Tech, but play well against a top notch team ala Texas). I think both teams are very evenly matched. Even the benches kind of even out, with both teams only looking for contributions from 2 guys really. While it's nice to have this game, what really matters only happens in April (March gets you there, but April is when you win it).

Texas: 80
    Duke:75

I'm worried that Sheldon gets into Foul trouble and this forces McRobberts to play. I think he will do it, but, will tire out as the game winds down. I also think that Memphis showed how to take J.J. out of his game: get a guy with massivly long arms to just run everywhere Reddick goes. Yeah, he has gotten better about taking it to the hoop and what not. But his bread and butter is clearly that J. Paulus is the future, Tucker is the now. That forces either Melchoni or Dockery (who is our shut down man) to step up on offense. Don't know about you other Cameron Crazies out there, but that doesn't make me feel so good. Yeah, Dock hit that big one Sunday, and hit a corner 3 against Memphis to put us up. But with the game on the line, you really want him carrying the load? Me neither. And Melchoni has a nack it seems to hit the big shot. But he has been in a funk this year, shooting just 38% from the floor.

It should be a good one, and I hope I'm wrong.

9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Doesn't this scheduling issue kind of confirm bigtexx's accolade of Duke?

I've been a Duke fan since 1980, but I'll go with Texas here: 90-83. Duke is too young at this point to handle Texas. Hope they prove me wrong, though.

10. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

the line just came out a lil while ago for the game

UT +3 in this game

i just put up major money on UT winning this thing outright, they have an awesome chance today to become the #1 team in the country

11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I just called my buddy who is a Duke grad and huge fan to chat about the game. He was at the Museum of Natural History to view the Darwin exhibit. Um, yeah, can you say MARRIED? brutal

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

black is just so, eh, late 90s nba.

13. coma

coma Contributing Member

Texas can come back. As crappy as Texas has played, they are only down my 12.

What happened to the front court?!?

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe they'll remember how to play basketball in the 2nd half. Yeah, that'd be nice.

15. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

If they would hit some of their open shots, it would help.

How many times did they drive for an open look and miss the shot near the end of the half? If those shots fall in the second half (and if JJ cools off), Texas has an excellent chance.

16. coma

coma Contributing Member

The two things they do well; dribble penetration, and inside paint play, they aren't going to.

Duke obviously has no answer for Tucker or a driving Gibson.

17. junglerules

junglerules Member

Wow, Redick is kicking our ass. Maybe they can try to double Redick, or atleast body him up more with Tucker, though I worry Tucker doesn't have enough speed to chase him around screens. But with that said, Duke is number 1 for a reason.

Texas has looked ok on offense, and is doing a good job dribble penetration with dishes to Aldridge or Tucker for easy buckets. However, the turnovers are starting to kill us....Gotta take care of the ball.

All in all, make someone other than Redick beat them. We knew he could score, but apparently whatever we are trying right now isn't working.

Anyway, we'll see how the second half goes. That rebound domination Texas should have certainly isn't showing, and we'll see what adjustments are made. Paulino has kept Texas in the game, but Gibson needs to step up and establish himself. I can't imagine Barnes will go too deep on his bench if we've only seen Abrams and Williams off the bench so far. Not enough faith in Atchley, Lewis, Winder, etc. to bring them off the bench in a big game early in the season.

18. junglerules

junglerules Member

Ha ha...that's true. I'm just saying they aren't as outlandish and whack as the Rox unis were, though a lot of people aren't crazy about Texas wearing black, including PJ Tucker. I dig 'em, but I understand that not everyone will. I'm sure if Texas loses, we may not see 'em again for a long time!!

19. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

Duke will finish this one off easily, the only way Texas can make this a game is if they start hitting thier outside shots. Reddick can't be stopped.

20. junglerules

junglerules Member

Jeebus....Redick is on fire. Not looking good....Texas looking sloppy again at the offensive end. Gibson may bring a little more scoring power to the table, but he's no TJ Ford when it comes to running the offense, handling the ball, and dictating tempo on the court....