1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas vs. Duke (College Basketball)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by junglerules, Dec 8, 2005.

1. junglerules

junglerules Member

I know this probably belongs in the college forum, but it's always like a ghost town in there.

Anyway, With this being the first #1 vs. #2 college basketball regular season matchup in 7 years or so, I thought we might get a little talk going before the game on Saturday. I know Duke has wiped the floor with Texas in the past, but I think this year's game should be really compelling. Watching both teams so far, Duke still looks like it's looking for its second gear- it looks like a team grinding to find offensive production, and ways that the freshmen, like McRoberts, can find their most productive spot in the rotation and on the floor. They really haven't been able to exert that killer instinct yet that most Duke teams find when they put points on a squad then suffocate them with solid defense.

Texas has been lucky to win a few of the games they did, but you can also say they've found ways to wear down quality teams and achieve victory without playing their best. Daniel Gibson has run really hot/ cold on the offensive side shooting the ball, but the production from Tucker, Aldridge and Buckman (when healthy) have been money. I really think that if Shelden Williams gets in foul trouble like he's prone to do, it could be long game for Duke. Meanwhile, Gibson will probably have to stay on the floor a lot, unless Barnes has grown comfortable enough with A.J. Abrams to let him run the point as a freshman in a hostile environment. It seemed Barnes stuck to a real small rotation against WVU and Iowa.

On the whole, I think it'll be a really close, competitive game. I'm not even sure I can pick a winner at this point, but there shouldn't be any shame in either of these two teams picking up their first loss of the season to the other. Assuming it doesn't turn into a blowout, but I just can't see it.

Anyway, your thoughts out there?

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Lamarcus Aldridge will give Duke all that they can handle. He's been almost unstoppable this year averaging a double double, and blocking a crapload of shots. Duke won't have an answer for him.

Shut down Redick and this game should be a win for Texas, and put as at #1.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Here ya go, Donny Most. ;)

I'm pumped about the all-black unis.

This should be a great game. I'm more comfortable with this UT team than I have been with any other in a long time. It's too close to call, IMO, but I'll do it anyway.

UT 82
    Duke 77

4. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

It's at Texas, so i'll give the nod to them, if it was at Duke, I would give them the nod. The Aldridge/Williams matchup is going to be fun to watch both guys have similar #'s this year.

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Hmmm...Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, and LaMarcus Aldridge. Can you say "best frontcourt in the NBA"? :D

TANK! TANK! TANK!

6. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

It's in New Jersey I think...

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

They're playing at Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford New Jersey, but Texas will be the "home" team.

8. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Oh I didnt know that, I just looked on ESPN and it said #1 Duke at #2 Texas, thanks for the correction. It's a tough one to call, I see it going either way really then, I figured whoever had homecourt would win, but I dont know now.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

bigtexxx picks Duke.

10. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

LMAO, thats a given! :D

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Not a big fan of the black unis, kinda looks like OkSt.

But this should be a good game. Lemarcus has been unbelievable for us so far this season, hopefully he'll show the nation what he's got.

Keys to the game for Texas:
    1. Stop Reddick: Paulino is a pretty good defender, but Reddick is amazing.
    2. Limit Turnovers: This has been a problem all season long, we need to take care of the ball if we want to win.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I have already stated that I cheer for Duke because I like the way that a top notch academic institution can compete in sports with the Generic State U's of the world.

Due to my bias in this matter, I will refrain from sharing my opinions on this game.

13. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

i'm planning my saturday around this game. i can't freakin' wait!
    i think this is the best Texas team that's ever "matched-up" with duke. however, i'm not sure Texas is quite up to the task. lamarcus will get his, but gibson will have to be on fire for Texas to win. Texas still lacks a passing PG and has trouble at times feeding the interior. my heart's with Texas, my money's on duke. i just hope it's a good game.

the black unis make me sick. thank god the football team won't ever do anything that sacreligious...

14. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Since when has bias stopped you from giving your opinion?

#14 RocketFan007, Dec 8, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I can't wait for this game...Duke is beatable...

16. cambyrd

cambyrd Member

Hell yeah, Duke is going to lose for one reason and one reason only. Sheldon Williams' head is just too small for his body. That thing is going to pop.

17. JamesC

JamesC Member

I'm hoping Texas can beat USC and Duke. :cool:

18. junglerules

junglerules Member

http://www.statesman.com/horns/content/sports/longhorns/index.html

Here is a picture of those black uni's....I kinda dig 'em. Back in the Penders era, UT had special grey jerseys, so it's not like the alternate uni's are something new to Texas.

I agree that Duke is beatable, especially early in the year. They'll come to play, but I don't think they match up with the UT frontline at all. They have Shelden, and that's it. I'll be curious to see who Barnes puts on Redick. That'll be the key. Paulino? Gibson? I don't know that Tucker is quick enough, but I bet we might see some of that too.

19. RocketsFAN3035

Don't sleep on Josh McRoberts......you've been warned.

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member