1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas voter ID law struck down: Impact on U.S. election?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 20, 2016.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

No, enacting laws that amount to a poll tax is a violation of their voting rights.

2. GladiatoRowdy

I have picked my kids up from school dozens of times in a large school district in Houston and have never once shown ID.

OK, so now the circuit court, likely the most conservative circuit court, are "partisan morons."

Hilarious.

3. GladiatoRowdy

Yes, in exactly the same way that they decided that segregation and institutionalized racism shouldn't be left up to the racists.

4. GladiatoRowdy

What a huge load of turds, shoveled straight off of Bullsh!t Mountain.

The court found the law discriminatory because statistically, the people most likely to lack ID tend to vote for Democrats at high rates. I think it is telling that a relatively small tweak to the laws, making sure that ID is free and easy for any qualified voter to acquire, isn't included in the laws.

Then there are the Republican politicians who have explicitly stated that Voter ID laws were put into place to suppress Democrat voters.

We don't just take people's word. We require registration, mail the registration to the person's home, and require them to sign off that they voted. Then, we can compare voter rolls to other databases and when we have done so in the past (like when Bush spent millions on investigations), we have found that in person voter fraud is practically nonexistent.

5. GladiatoRowdy

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The judges actually said exactly the opposite, they ruled it WASN'T a poll tax. Then again, you've never let facts get in the way of your ridiculous partisanship before, why start now?

7. GladiatoRowdy

Every word you write shows you to be the partisan between the two of us. As I have observed before I haven't ever voted for a Democrat for president, kinda flies in the face of your baseless speculation.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Your lying aside, you didn't even address the fact that you were totally and completely wrong....it kind of flies in the face of your credibility here.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You called the judges partisan morons and claimed this law was fair, doesn't discriminate, and that it was common sense. The judges, you know the ones with law degrees that actually heard all the facts in the case, said it was not only discriminatory but that it was designed to be so. Never let the facts get in the way of your 100 posts of inane blathering nonsense in every thread. Go on Bobs, talk some more about how everyone is a moron and the leftists blah blah blah.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you start out with a lie.....good job kid.

11. CometsWin

Don't believe your lying eyes. Good job, Bobs.

But... but... it's just common sense Bobs.

#111 CometsWin, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH, you and the truth really aren't friends. In my statement did I say that the judges were "morons"? Of course not. I do disagree with their findings, but I understand the reason they ruled that way. If the state comes back with a new law with different ID requirements, perhaps ones where they don't accept military ID or CHL's then it would pass. In fact the court ruled that requiring ID is NOT a "poll tax", which means they aren't against it in principle, they just didn't like the specifics of how this law was written.

Head back to whoever gives you your talking points and have them do a better job.

13. CometsWin

double post

#113 CometsWin, Jul 22, 2016
  14. CometsWin

Do I really have to quote you again? Seriously?

NSFW spoiler there

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HbvYeLxMKN8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#114 CometsWin, Jul 22, 2016
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The issue here is that you aren't terribly intelligent....it ends up being the problem quite often. Those judges weren't against voter ID laws in general, in fact, they ruled that voter ID laws WEREN'T poll taxes which is the normal argument against them. They were against the part of this specific voter ID law that said some ID's were valid and some weren't. If the Texas legislature passed a similar bill with different rules over ID, these same judges would support it.

Anyway, how about you just sit this one out for a while and have better posters talk about it for a while? You desperately need new talking points and it shows.

16. CometsWin

You know Bobs, the thing about a message board is that your comments are all right here.

First you said, only partisan morons think voter ID laws are oppressive. IN REALITY , the Federal Appeals court struck down the law because... oppressive.

Then you said the left is the only side pushing this as a partisan issue however the court accepted that Texas legislature approved ID cards were more likely to be held by white Republicans and excluded ID cards were more likely to be held by minority Democrats, intentionally so. So IN REALITY, according to the court, it's the legislature that is pushing this as a partisan issue.

I'll leave it to you to figure out how black people having excluded ID cards more often would affect black voting. Derp.

That's the problem with you posting ignorant, arrogant crap all the time. You just sound like a drunk on a stool. Better luck next time, Bobs.

17. GladiatoRowdy

F*** off, I don't lie about my voting history, what exactly do you think I would gain?

I wasn't "wrong," I was giving my opinion. The court ruled it unconstitutional on other grounds, but IMO, the only point at which Voter ID would be perfectly acceptable to me is when the ID is both free and easy for any citizen to acquire so that it doesn't amount to a poll tax.