1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Tech v. texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Oct 16, 2005.

1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

yeah, no ****. who would've predicted that??? how does OU go from national title contender to almost getting beat by Baylor in Norman in just one season?!?

congrats Baylor. you know it's a crazy season when both SWT and Baylor are winning like they are.

2. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

As an impartial observer (I go to school in Florida and have no allegiance to TT or UT):

First, I wouldn't go as far to call TT's offense a "gimmicky offense". They don't run a lot of crazy, off the wall plays. They have a system that is an offshoot of the popular spread offense and it's built on a foundation of sound principles. I wouldn't call it a gimmicky offense any more than you would call the West Coast Offense or the Fun 'N Gun a gimmicky offense. They are all hybrids of traditional systems and they all build on strategic offensive fundamentals.

On Texas: They've got a sick team this year. If they win the Rose Bowl it will be on the shoulder's of Vince Young. He's made a tremendous improvement since last year and has really stepped up as a leader. He willed his team to win in Colombus, Ohio and he'll need to do the same if they face USC in the rose bowl. I'm rooting for a Rose bowl matchup between UT and USC because I think it would be a very entertaining and competitive game to watch (unlike some recent championship games - Miami/OSU '02 as an exception).

However, if UT, USC, and VT all win out, I think UT may be on the outside looking in. VT has some tough opponents ahead (Miami) and they have an ACC championship game to play in (vs. FSU maybe?). UT's schedule isn't nearly as strong as VT's and if both win out I'm not sure Texas can keep VT from taking the #2 spot. If this scenario happens (like it did last year with Auburn), hopefully it will be a lot more thought into whether or not the BCS is the best system for determining the champion.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe the majority of the hate is here because of Fatty Fat b*stard's blustering before the game that UT would be suprised by how well Tech played them.

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Congrats on your #16 finish then. We'll see what happens this year.

Before you get all pissy, you started it with the "ut bowl" comment.

5. gr8-1

I like Mike Leach. Think he's a good coach and he's hilarious. Knight is a living legend although I don't really care for some of his antics in the past.

Honestly, other than Knight, your school is pretty much an afterthought in my mind. My feelings towards your school is generally positive, sometimes apathetic, but rarely negative. You guys are Oklahoma State or Kansas to me. Just another school

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Unless Texas loses or has a catastrophic game where they need something like overtime to beat a team like Ok. State, they're going to the Rose Bowl if they win out.

The thing is, Texas has such a commanding lead in the human polls Va Tech would need Texas to start losing votes to them to close any of that gap - but what's happening is quote the opposite - Texas is taking votes from USC, and consolidating all the No. 2 votes - increasing the gap.

Va Tech will get a schedule boost in the upcoming weeks - but not enough - and while that will boost VaTech in the computer polls - especially as Texas plays Kansas, Ok State and Baylor - it shouldn't be enough.

7. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

You may be right, but if VA Tech wins against a top 5 Miami team and a top 10 FSU team, then the human pollsters may be singing a different tune. I think we'll learn a lot more about the situation during the VT/Miami game. The media is starting to jump on Miami's bandwagon again. If VT beats Miami convincingly, then it will be interesting to see how the media treats VT. I could certainly see them siding with VT. A big factor to remember is that VT hasn't played any big competition as of yet, so it's hard to create an argument for them to take over the #2 spot. In the following 3 games VT is set to play 3 top 25 teams. If they win out those 3 games AND beat whoever they play in the ACC championship game (who most likely will be a top 10 opponent), the there is a very strong argument for VT at the #2 spot.

Just pointing out the facts, most of which are useless because between now and the end of the season USC, UT, and VT may all lose.

8. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I apologize for that. Everybody was talkng trash about TT, my point was Texas Tech just won the same bowl last year that UT was in not to long ago. I should have just said it like that. It's like everybody has forgotten what Tech has done the last 4 years and just focusing on our schedule. Yes it is a joke but the players don't make the schedule. These guys have won some big games the last few years and I think they will again this year finish strong. Like I said I'm not claiming Tech is great but they're good. I don't see how people deny it but they are.

I too have nothing against your school, they represent the state of Texas very well. I just got sick of seeing low blows against my team and school, I thought I was on an ESPN board or something. I mean a blowout to the #2 team in the country is nothing to be embarassed by.

If a miracle would have had happened yesterday. I would have been like wow Tech just beat the #2 team in the country. I wouldnt being say overrated or UT sucks. I thought UT would be saying wow we just killed a pretty good team in TT this might finally be our year. I wasn't expecting TT sucks. A D2 team could have done better. Back to reality type stuff. But thats what I was reading. Comments like those make an impressive victory not sound as good..

I wish UT nothing but the best for the rest of the season despite what I said earlier.

Oh well forget all this. Go astros! :)

9. gr8-1

Agreed. Sorry if my post was acidic. From my experience, opposing fans seem to be more aggressive towards UT then vice versa.

10. nycrocket

nycrocket Contributing Member

Rocketfan83--good post. My beef was with you calling the holiday bowl the UT bowl. Alot of us have been waiting a long time for a team like this, and taking a jab(holiday bowl) after a 35 point whooping was funny. I know most UT fans were happy when you guys beat Cal and think Tech has a good team this year. When you beat A&M this year and win another bowl, I think most people will consider Tech the 2nd best major program in Texas.

#170 nycrocket, Oct 23, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  11. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The thing is - Va Tech's remaining schedule has a top 15 Boston College(whom most people probably don't really believe in), a top 10 Miami - which would be an impressive win, and a Virginia team that may or may not be ranked. They really needs FSU to win out until the Championship game, though the Seminoles have to travel to the Swamp this yearto play Florida.

And as each of those teams is beaten by VaTech - Ohio State and Texas Tech will both rise again in the polls. So that by the time the end of the season rolls around Texas could point to a pair of wins over top ten opponents, one in a hostile atmosphere on the road, and the other a blowout. I think Texas has more room to gain ground in the computer polls and SOS than VaTech will gain in the human pollsters. Unless Texas slips up, it's hard to drop a team that just keeps destroying its opponents.

12. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

I agree with everything you've said. It's hard to make predicitions this early. OSU and TT could both lose again making UT's SOS look pitiful, but at the same time anything could happen in the ACC - VT could drop 2 games by season's end - who knows what could happen? It's this uncertainty that makes college football so awesome. Hopefully, somebody picks up my shift at work on Thursday night, so I can catch some of that BC vs. VT game (plus it's my sis's bday too).

Also, you are right about that FSU vs. UF game...there is no way they come out of The Swamp alive. I'll definitely enjoy being there for that one.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

When did Vince Young leave the game?

14. haven

haven Member

TheFreak:

When did Texas stop trying to score points?

RocketFan:

People are taking cheap shots at tech because of all the smack many of your guys were talking about before the game. And because you all seem to assume that you guys somehow can play with us...when you're 1-5 against us with your current coach. You're talking about a single win three years ago. It's pretty much meaningless. Why not talk about our close win 2 years ago, our blowout win at your place last year, or our blowout win at our place this year?

Everyone likes to think their team is good. Nobody likes to admit when another team is a lot better.

But face it - Texas is better in every way. Significantly better team, significantly better football history, significantly better academics.

Acknowledge your place in the universe: Tier 2. It ain't so bad...just be silent when your betters are around.

I'm exaggerating of course. But if you want to know why we're talking so much...that's why.

15. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Look at almost all of their games. Production plummets in the 4th qtr when the focus is eating up the clock.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't know. I stopped watching when it was 42-17. I'm pretty sure he wasn't throwing on first down and he didn't have 600 yards passing at the time. I could be wrong, though.

17. Major

Major Member

Up 45-17, 9 minutes left in the game, Vince threw on 1st down twice in a drive as well as once on second down. Out of 5 plays, 3 were passes. :)

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's only because Tech did it to other teams. We're standing up for the Indiana States of the world! :D

19. Major

Major Member

That sounds more like Texas fans each of the last 5 years before the OU game than it does TT fans. How many TT fans here were talking smack? 1?

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

remember when Sam Wyche dedicated the Bengal's butt whooping of the Pardee-coached Oilers to the SMU Mustangs?? :) that freaking sucked!