1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Tech tries to run it up against SMU

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Sep 5, 2004.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Real classy, Mike... :rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tech victory turns ugly
    SMU's Bennett upset Raiders kept throwing late in the game
    Associated Press

DALLAS - The way Texas Tech coach Mike Leach sees it, there are only so many snaps in a season. So he wanted to give his quarterback, a fifth-year senior making his first start, as many throws as possible — even with a 14-point lead and time running out.

SMU coach Phil Bennett had another opinion of Leach's decision. And he didn't hesitate to let him know it.

Bennett took off toward Leach and began shouting at him when time expired on Tech's 27-13 victory over SMU on Saturday night. A big skirmish broke out involving nearly everyone on both teams, and it lasted several minutes.

Punches and helmets were thrown, but no one appeared to get hurt. The skirmish overshadowed everything that happened before, such as Tech's Sonny Cumbie throwing for 470 yards and four touchdowns and the Mustangs hanging tough — it was tied at 6 in the third quarter — before losing their 13th straight, tying the worst skid in school history.

"I told Mike I didn't appreciate how the game ended," Bennett said. "Neither team deserved to have that happen."

Tech's final six plays were throws, several with the Raiders using a hurry-up offense.

"We're not a team that kneels on the ball or runs the ball up the middle," Cumbie said. "It's a different philosophy. If you don't like it, stop it."
    :rolleyes:

Tech had a first down at the SMU two and could've ended it there by taking a knee. Instead, a screen pass turned into a two-yard loss. The Red Raiders could've let the clock run out without taking a snap, but Cumbie threw into the end zone.

"I wish we would've caught the ball," Leach said, adding that he was practicing what he preaches to his team.

"I've spent a lot of time coaching our players to play hard, finish, score. I don't change gears on that. I'm not going to stop the projector, I'm not going to look at the down, I'm not going to look at the distance."

The only thing he regrets is that Bennett was so angry.

"I really respect and like him a lot. I hope he still likes me," Leach said. "I'd love to talk to him."

Cumbie came to Tech as a walk-on and watched from the sideline as Kliff Kingsbury and B.J. Symons shattered school, conference and national passing records. He finished 40-of-66 with TD passes of 14 and 13 yards to Bristol Olomua, a 15-yarder to Joel Filani and a 19-yarder to Jarrett Hicks.

"He got more comfortable as the game went on," said Olomua, a BYU transfer who playing his first game since 1999.

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

They did, doofus.

3. Preston27

Preston27 Member

Are you a fan of the Longhorns that beat a weak team 65-0?

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

yeah - because there's absolutely no difference in having your 5th stringers in the game running the ball up the gut, kneeling the ball, etc and having your starter run a hurry up offense and throw into the endzone as time expired when the game is no longer in doubt.

5. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Have no fear, Karma is a b****! They'll get a taste of thier own medicine before the years out.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Could've been worse... could've been the Cougars putting up 95 on the Mustangs. Those were the days... when they say "death penalty" they mean it. SMU's still suffering, I see. :)

7. mrpaige

mrpaige Member

I've never understood why a sport that so often talks of going full throttle and having no mercy looks down on teams that continue to play the game when the game is still going on.

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

There's a big difference between playing the game - and showing a complete lack of respect for the opposing team. There's nothing to be gained by throwing into the endzone as time expires when you're already up by 14 - except to run up the score and pad some stats - there are just lines of sportsmanship you should not cross.

It's one thing if it's the backups running the offense late in the game - but this was the starter, in the dying seconds. That just screams wrong.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Not to mention being in the "hurry-up" offense with time running down in the game...and you're up by two touchdowns.

It's called class. Something Tech hasn't had since Spike left. Hell, if you're going to run it up, at least be a good team. Tech will be lucky to get to a bowl this year.

10. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Member

SMU is going to win 2 or 3 this year.

11. codell

codell Member

I remember that. The season after, Jack Pardee became coach of the Oilers. Jerry Glanville's Falcons beat the Oilers in pre-season that year and Glanville dedicated the win to Forrest Gregg and basically blasted Pardee for the SMU game.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Either suck it up and play for 60 minutes or lobby for a Mercy rule.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

SMU is just pissed because they have lost so much

don't complain just play the damn game. they should be pissed off they got beat. if leech wants to continue to throw then don't be mad at him. the point of kneeling the ball out is not to have mercy on the other team it's done to safely end the game without turnovers. the SMU coach needs to STFU.

14. gr8-1

gr8-1 Member

I think Bennett told Leach "you're gonna get your ass kicked in the big 12." :D

15. Cohen

Cohen Member

Look at the box before you speak. Texas scored only once in the 4th, near the start of the quarter. Texas used 11 :eek: running backs and 8 receivers.

There was no running up involved. Benson's in the running for the Heisman and they pulled him early, with him only needing 19 yards for 200. Both he and V Young were yanked after the first series in the second half! (geez ... what do you want?)

As for Tech, it would have been nice if they didn't throw it into the endzone, but I also understand Leach and his offensive ;) mindset. I understand what he wants to do, but they shouldn't be surprised when opposing teams get upset.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Of course Glanville proved the phrase "what goes around comes around" when Sam Wyche and the Bengals put up 61 on Glanville and his Oilers in "The House of Pain". I still remember Wyche calling the Oilers the dumbest, most undisciplined team he'd ever coached against and it's a wonder how they ever won a game. It was hysterical when the Bengals were up something like 40-something points, the Bengals tried an onside kick. I started laughing because I absolutely despised Glanville.

17. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Member

Phil Bennett should be suspended by either his school or the NCAA. After he charged to the middle of the field to talk smack to Coach Leach he <b>pushed</b> Tech assistant coach Ruffin McNeil. PHYSICAL CONTACT!!! Its one thing to have a war of words in the media, but to basically incite a riot???? Come on. If that was Bob Knight and not Phil Bennet the whole country would be up in arms. Just because some small time coach gets pissed and has the whole Metroplex behind him doesn't mean what he did was right.

18. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Member

I dunno. I just wish Tech would pass it once in a while.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That is a flat-out lie. I have a good friend who grew up with one of the Tech assistant coaches. The coach told my friend (and my other friend who I grew up with) that they should bet on Tech against the Mustangs because Leach absolutely hates Bennett and really wanted to run the score up on them.

20. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Member

1) That wasn't a preseason game, it was the season opener. Wasn't it? The officiating in that game was bizarre to the point of stretching credibility.

2) The Bengals' 61-7 win was in Riverfront Coliseum, not the Astrodome. Anyone remember the onside kick? Thing of beauty (I hated the Oilers at that time).