1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Tech hires Billy Clyde

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Hayesfan, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

May the force be with those kids... they are going to need it!

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-onli...-hires-billy-gillispies-mens-basketball-coach

Former Kentucky and Texas A&M basketball coach Billy Gillispie will be the next men's basketball coach at Texas Tech University.

The Avalanche-Journal has learned that Gillispie has accepted a five-year deal to coach the Red Raider basketball team. His hire will be announced later today. A formal introductory press conference will be held Wednesday.

Gillispie replaces Pat Knight, son of Hall of Fame coach Bob Knight, who was fired March 7 and compiled a 50-61 record in Lubbock.

Gillispie spent two seasons at Kentucky and in 2008 was named the SEC Co-Coach of the Year. He finished 40-27 overall and 20-12 in the SEC.

Prior to that he spent three seasons as the head coach at Texas A&M, where he was a finalist for the Naismith Coach of the Year award in 2007. He got his first head coaching job at UTEP.

Gillispie has been an assistant coach at Illinois, Tulsa, Baylor and South Plains College in Levelland, about 30 miles West of Lubbock. He is a native of Abilene.

Gillispie inherits a team in transition, with six seniors graduating from the 2010-11 squad. Texas Tech has not been to the NCAA tournament since 2007, and made a single postseason appearance -- a trip to the 2010 NIT -- during Pat Knight's three-plus seasons.

All signs have pointed to Gillispie's hire throughout the coaching search. Incoming athletic director Kirby Hocutt interviewed a handful of candidates, but met at least twice with Gillispie, most recently this past Wednesday in Palm Beach, Fla. Gillispie also met with Texas Tech President Guy Bailey and Chancellor Kent Hance on March 12 in the Dallas area.

Texas Tech announced the hire at approximately 11:40 Sunday morning.

"It is a great honor to be selected as the basketball coach at Texas Tech University," Gillispie said in a news release. "I am very appreciative of athletics director Kirby Hocutt, President (Guy) Bailey and Chancellor (Kent) Hance for allowing me the opportunity to lead this program. Texas Tech is a great school that is located in a great community and is part of one of the toughest conferences in the country. I can't wait to get started.

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

This makes me happy. Lamar just fired their coach, and many of the big donors have apparently been asking for Billy Clyde. It seemed like a terrible idea to me. Now it seems that if they get a retread, it'll be Alvin Brooks (he played at Lamar and was a Lamar assistant), but I think Texas assistant Rodney Terry is the leading candidate right now.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

BCG to Lamar would be like Jerry Sloan coaching in the WNBA.

4. RedRaiderRocket

Anything is an upgrade from Pat Knight

5. Hayesfan

I don't dispute that Billy Clyde is a good coach... I just don't agree with the way he goes about it

6. RedRaiderRocket

Yep he definitely has his image to clean up, not sure how it is going to work out. But he should improve the team record wise, maybe make the tournament, or even the NIT for that matter.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

At least Lubbock is a dry town.

8. RedRaiderRocket

It use to be, not anymore!

9. Nook

Nook Member

But Calipari goes about it the right way?

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I've been to Lubbock once 10 years ago. Don't know how dry it is, but sure is the flattest town I've EVER been to.

11. Hayesfan

As far as how he treats his players.. yes.

12. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

The way I see it, this is bad for my Aggies because he has a lot of good relationships in Texas and he is going to land some good recruits. Just means more competition. That and he is a good defensive coach so Texas Tech will be brought back to respectability within 2-3 years max.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Big 12 won't be around that long. And if it is, BCG will be at a better program within 3 years.