1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Tech Coach Mike Leach Given a 5pm Deadline

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRaiderRocket, Feb 16, 2009.

1. RedRaiderRocket

Looks like Mike Leach will be gone. From what the report has said it has been rejected report has it we will either fire him this week or let him coach next season. A stupid move by our AD Myers. Though Leach has constantly been in reports for looking another job he is a great coach for getting the most out of his players and has stayed loyal to the team despite greater and better offers. Apparently the two sides have agreed on the salary but the stipulations is what will end this relationship.

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/myfox/

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what a trainwreck on the heels of a great season.

3. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Unbelievable...

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

agreed. wonder if he'll end up anywhere next season.

5. Major

Major Member

Yup. Tech and Leach are a perfect fit for each other. Leach is a great coach, but the reality is that his personality just won't fit at a lot of schools. He's turned Tech into a legit program on the national stage, just a step below all the perennial powers (USC, Texas, OU, LSU, Ohio State, etc). Tech isn't going to find a better coach and Leach isn't going to find a better fit of a school.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i'm guessing tech realizes that, but they're just tired of leach looking elsewhere.

7. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I love Leach as a coach. But if he can’t make a long term commitment we need to look else where. It's like a dating a girl for years if she’s not ready for marriage after year’s together you gotta look elsewhere.

I hope they come to an agreement but if not I have no problem letting him go tomorrow.

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Then you're an idiot. As a Tech alum, I pray it doesn't come to this. The only reason we're relevant is because of Mike Leach. We're actually fun to watch, and can knock off anyone at any time really. Without Leach, we're struggling to bring in recruits with no big attraction (i.e. Leach's offense).

9. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

We lost recruits this year b/c of Leach's contract mess. (Probably the cotton bowl as well)...And one of our top assistants/recruiters last week. How long do we let the guy hold the program hostage?

Leach is 3-15 on the road versus ranked teams to say we can knock off any one at anytime is not accurate. We can knock off anybody off at home which is the case for any middle of the road college football program.

I agree Leach is a good coach/entertaining but if he doesn’t want to be here than you look elsewhere. That being said I hope there is an agreement tomorrow but if not I won't be to upset.

10. ajsports23

ajsports23 Member

11. RedRaiderRocket

I think everyone is to blame partially for this contract situation. Leach for always looking for a better job and Myers for not signing him before last season. If Leach were to live we will be worse than A&M has been the last couple of years. Tech was never going to steal recruit from OU and Texas. I just think Myers has to get rid of his stipulations. If Myers were to fire Leach not that I know the guy but I would have no respect for him. I know a lot of students will bring signs to games hoping to persuade Leach to stay.

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Since Leach has been in Lubbock, A&M has sucked ****. A&M has to be happy with Leach leaving.

PS - Will Tech release the recruits who signed for Leach two weeks ago?

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

A&M was really only good for a very short period of time

14. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

It's been interesting to hear the shift in opinions in our listeners over the past few weeks during the Leach Contract Saga.

http://williamsandhyattblog.wordpress.com/

Many Tech fans are siding with the administration in this matter and are tired of Leach shopping himself to any school with a high-profile opening.

On the other side of the ledger are Tech fans like LongTimeFan that think Leach is the end-all, be-all, and that the program will fall to the bottom of the Big XII if Leach is gone.

The one thing people fail to realize in all of this drama is that Tech Chancellor Kent Hance is a no nonsense type of guy and since he has set a deadline, if it isn't met, there will be action.

We're about 24 hours away from the deadline, and I think a lot of Tech fans are preparing for the worst.....

15. Fatty FatBastard

Say what you want. Personally, I expect a deal to be ironed out, and I think Tech will have egg on their face if they can't come up with a good package.

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Tech and Leach are perfect for each other and I think they know it, I expect that they reach a deal by the deadline.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Tech, a school that hadn't done diddly-dick since Leach came on board, would be a lot of damnedable fools to let him walk.

The man built the house, give him the keys to the front door FFS.

18. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

The longer this continues, the happier I am that UW didn't seriously pursue him as had been reported.

19. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Hit Mike Leach up on the low 806-789-8305

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

As a UT fan, I hope Leach leaves, Tech would die a quick and painful death.

He is a great coach for a midsized school like Tech.

DD