1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Texas Tech 167, East Central Oklahoma 115

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by weslinder, Nov 21, 2008.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Defense, we don't need no steenkin' defense.

Ten Texas Tech players score in double figures in big win

LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech gave coach Pat Knight something his famous father never received from the Red Raiders: 167 points.

Trevor Cook scored a career-high 20 and was one of 10 players in double figures for Texas Tech, which shattered the school record for points Thursday night in a 167-115 victory over East Central.

Alan Voskuil and John Roberson each had 17 points, and Mike Singletary and Wally Dunn added 16 apiece for the Red Raiders (3-0). The previous school mark was 128 points, set in a double-overtime win against Texas on Feb. 20, 1994.

"I'm a big believer in confidence," Knight said. "We got 10 guys that score double figures. Proves to them they can at least put it in the bucket. Our defense is a little different. The game is just so different from anything. We're not going to face anything like this."

These are exciting times at Texas Tech, where the football team is ranked No. 2 in the nation thanks to star quarterback Graham Harrell, All-American receiver Michael Crabtree and coach Mike Leach's pass-happy offense. The high-scoring Red Raiders (10-0) visit No. 5 Oklahoma in a huge game Saturday night.

The basketball squad out in Lubbock is off to a strong start, too -- even after Hall of Fame coach Bob Knight stepped down last season with a record 902 career wins and handed the reins to his son.

Bob Knight's teams topped 100 points in five games at Texas Tech, with a high of 119.

This was the first time the Red Raiders surpassed 100 since a 103-50 victory over Texas-Pan American on Dec. 10, 2005.

Dunn hit one of his four 3-pointers with 7:43 left in the second half to give Tech 130 points, breaking the previous school record.

Dontae Figgs scored 19 points to lead seven East Central players in double figures. Justin Wilkerson scored 17 and Ian Adams added 15.

The Red Raiders took 113 shots to 94 for East Central (0-1), quite a pace for 40 minutes. Texas Tech led 77-57 at halftime.

"Wow, that was fun, wasn't it?" East Central coach Terry Shannon said. "We came in with a couple of ideas. We want to play an up-tempo game. We want to force people to play our pace. We didn't have to force them. They went with us and boy they shot the ball well."

The 283 combined points also were the most in Texas Tech history.

2. JamesC

JamesC Member

I was amazed when I saw that score, in a college game at that.

3. grambolo

grambolo Contributing Member

More impressive than Tech scoring 167 is East Central Oklahoma scoring 115... That is pretty pathetic.

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

You're right, when you score 167 points, letting the opponent within 52 points is pathetic. Good call, basketball genius right there

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

A shot every 5.175 seconds... that's matador defense right there.

D'Antoni would be so proud.

6. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Post of the year material.

7. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

It's not all that impressive when you consider that East Central Oklahoma is a Division II school picked to finish seventh out of seven in its division in the Lone Star Conference. What is Texas Tech doing playing a Division II school during the regular season? This is worse than a FBS team playing an FCS team.

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Actually they are a DII school... they dont even have half the prospects Tech has...

Tech should have allowed maybe 70-80, not 115

9. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Do you realize how many possessions you get when your opponent scores 167?

10. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I can't wait to kick their ass in basketball this year, and the next, then the year after that.....

Even when Bob Knight was coaching them they still couldn't beat us or any of the upper Big 12 teams.

11. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

So, Kansas isn't an upper Big 12 team? Or Texas A&M?

Facts are a good thing.

12. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Okay never mind I didn't really check the facts enough, but Kansas, Texas, Texas A&M, and OKST are perenially better than Tech, in basketball.

Thats all that matters.

:D

13. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Of course they are. But let's not put A&M up there for a few years of dominance. I'll give you Kansas, Texas, heck even Oklahoma, and OKST- but it's not like beating Tech in basketball is a big deal. Football, yes. Ladies basketball, yes. Not Men's BB. I mean, if you're actually looking forward to kicking Tech's butt, well... I don't know, I'd save my fervor for teams like the ones above. It'd be like me saying I can't wait till the Rockets kick the Thunder's ass. Huh?