1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas State, UTSA, & DU to join the WAC

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Nov 10, 2010.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

Texas State joining sunbelt

From an email

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

A step sideways from the disintegrating WAC.

How did UTSA, who's played a whopping 1 season of football, get more bargaining power and end up in a (theoretically) better conference than Tx St?

Strange times...

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm sure these will be fabulously profitable endeavors for these fabled institutions of higher learning.

5. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTSA_Roadrunners_football
    That's impressive and better than UH attendance last year. Also, at least the people in the city of San Antonio has a another sports team to root for other than the Spurs.

6. leroy

If they can even remotely maintain that while getting stomped by the likes of Memphis and Rice, then I will drop my confusion as to why a school with 0 history of being good at anything athletically would get an invite over a school with a much longer history and likely larger alumni base.

7. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

lol butthurt alert

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

UTSA has 30000 students it is a huge school.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Speaking as a Southland alum, I'm not sure anyone could get butthurt over something like this.

10. leroy

I went to Sam Houston. Not hurt at all. Just think its weird UTSA got an invite to C-USA when they've played 1 season as a FCS independent.

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I would love to know the thinking of C-USA. I'm assuming it came down to markets...San Antonio (UTSA), DFW Metroplex (UNT), Miami (FIU), and Charlotte (UNCC).

I'd rather have Austin/San Marcos than Shreveport/Ruston...I think Louisiana Tech got the invite because they're currently a top 25 football program.

I have no idea why ODU makes any sense.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

I don't know why, but TxState turned down C-USA. I remember reading something about it earlier this year.

UTSA blows and is full of people who had such terrible GPAs in HS they couldn't even go to State, which is pretty sad since I received funding for having a 3.5 at a jr college.

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I call BS. The Sun Belt is the worst FBS conference with only two bowl tie-ins. It consists of schools who recently moved to FBS and its national game of the week is on a weekday. There's a reason why UNT and FIU are leaving. Texas State would give its left nut to be in C-USA.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Not sure what happened, the press release was we joined the WAC, while turning down C-USA. Maybe it blew up in our face.

15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I never noticed that before but it's true. It's almost like any new FBS school plays as an independent then up and joins the Sun Belt. Lol!!

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I frequent the Texas State boards. They're pissed about the Sun Belt and hate their "sit on his hands", "path of least resistance" AD. If they'd turned down C-USA, they'd be absolutely livid and I'd know about it. I call BS as well.

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

It wasn't recently, it was last year when they decided to join the WAC. That is why I said it blew up in their face.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I still don't remember anything about that. And all the criticism of Larry Teis I'm reading right now (justified IMO) would be mentioning that little gem if it were true. But you're the only person I've heard ever mention that.

Now, I know they've met with the commissioner of C-USA as well as the MWC, but that doesn't mean they were actually offered a spot in the conference.

#58 Cannonball, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  19. leroy

My brother is a football alum, T-Association member, season ticket holder, and donor. He calls bs on turning down C-USA. In a vote they had, he said most were against the move to FBS in the first place. However, given a choice to go to the WAC or Sun Belt vs. C-USA, do you really think they would have turned that down?

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

The question was never Sunbelt v C-USA. It was WAC v C-USA. I can't find the article I remember reading, it was in our student paper. I just remember it saying something along the lines of we decided on the WAC after looking at other conferences including C-USA and something else.