1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Power Grid

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s hilarious that Texas Republicans want to secede when TX is only relevant because of its Democratic cities...their incompetence was on full display this past week

edwardc, CometsWin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

let it go bro. you'll be happier in the long run

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm happier right now actually. Everything that happens from a chief executive via common sense instead of spite or grievance brings a smile to my face. I hope we never take it for granted again.

4. edwardc

edwardc Member

It's been on display the last 4 years for sure following 45 around like a bunch of lost puppies.

Reeko likes this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We've been through 4 years of an executive who never let anything go. Pointing out the current contrast to the style of divisive governing is a celebration rather than a clinging to of bitterness.

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Big kudos to James. If things ever get back to "normal" and I'm in Houston, I'll make a point of eating there.

FranchiseBlade and Reeko like this.
  10. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

more like a bunch of wannabes following Regina George in Mean Girls.

11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why is it that we can fly a helicopter on Mars, but we can't turn a light on in Texas?

Because the Mars mission is run by scientists.

And Texas is run by Republicans.

DD

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It's a nice gesture I guess but they really should serve more than 13 meals.

14. Buck Turgidson

Curious how they determined what counties qualify. For example Williamson does, Blanco does, but Burnet and Llano don't?

B-Bob likes this.
  15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You might not have heard yet, but Trump isn't president anymore.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Sure but it's uterrly insane that we did have a president who would tell a state that is in immense distress with people dying to "rake leaves" and actually make sending aid a contraversy.

Don't know why you are offended that it's brought up. It's pretty crazy we were at that place once.

deb4rockets likes this.
  17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This thread goes into some new details in the "grid" system... summary:

20kMW of gas and coal was already offline before the cold snap for regular yearly maintenance. Only a fraction of it came back when forecast shown the need for them. IOW, margin was razor thin or just inadequate (my interpretation). [perhaps, these guys shouldn't ALL go down at the same time of the year but spread it out more!]

On the 15th between 12am-3am, 11.2kMW of gas (8k), coal (2k), nukes (1.2k) went offline b/c of frozen gas pipelines and water for steam (used to turn turbines that generate energy).

TX grid IS connected to Mexico and OK but less than 1kMW worth. ERCOT only option was to "disconnect grandma" since the other option is whole system failing and it would take months to get back to normal.

Outages (rolling bandtage) wasn't spread out because of uniformed systems (distribution weakness and strength throughout system). IOW, the system was NEVER designed for proper rolling blackout (my interpretation).

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1362626074622877696.html

18. Buck Turgidson

"Regular yearly maintenance" in the middle of winter (or summer) strikes me as a bad idea.

19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Trump woulda coulda shoulda was a response to that poster going on about Trump. Silly you.

His traitors that were all part of his coup are still running Texas. Sad, but true. They aided and abetted his madness. Now we have to live with them and their power over people way of running things.

By the way, you might want to tell that to Margorie Taylor Greene. She still calls Republicans Trump's party. Then again, she is as crazy in the head as that despicable man she idolizes.

#259 deb4rockets, Feb 21, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Must be approved by ERCOT to go down and normally Feb is when the need for electricity is the least in TX, so 20kMW was approved (that seems very large). And these generators prefer to go down in Feb when electricity cost is the least (less profit). This points to two big problems here, I think - ERCOT doesn't have a hefty reserve margin and the "free" market drives less reliability.

Buck Turgidson and B-Bob like this.