1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas once again gives the middle finger to the Constitution

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Major

Major Member

The Founding Fathers didn't anticipate the concept of illegal immigration at all - everyone was welcome. So if their wishes are important here, we should open the borders to all.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The founding fathers really only cared about white land owning men. They also really didn't like paying taxes.

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Uh, 3/5 compromise?

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

awesome!

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Ggggrrrrrrr

Rocket River

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

From a great musical:

Edward Rutledge: [In the final vote for Independence, Rutledge wants the slavery clause removed from the Declaration, or else he will vote against independence] Well, Mr. Adams?

John Adams: Well, Mr. Rutledge.

Edward Rutledge: [stands] Mr. Adams, you must believe that I *will* do what I promised to do.

John Adams: [stands and approaches him] What is it you want, Rutledge?

Edward Rutledge: Remove the offending passage from your Declaration.

John Adams: If we did that, we would be guilty of what we ourselves are rebelling against.

Edward Rutledge: Nevertheless... remove it, or South Carolina will bury, now and forever, your dream of independence.

Dr. Benjamin Franklin: John? I beg you consider what you're doing.

John Adams: Mark me, Franklin... if we give in on this issue, posterity will never forgive us.

Dr. Benjamin Franklin: That's probably true, but we won't hear a thing, we'll be long gone. Besides, what would posterity think we were? Demi-gods? We're men, no more no less, trying to get a nation started against greater odds than a more generous God would have allowed. First things first, John. Independence; America. If we don't secure that, what difference will the rest make?

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, the people not complying with the law and refusing to issue birth certificates should have their power to issue or not issue taken away from them. That is for starters. The Federal Govt. should make sure this happens.

8. Remii

Remii Member

So you're only against killing babies of American citizens...?

Isn't there states not complying with the law when it comes to mar1juana...

Remember this article that was in the chronicle...
    http://blog.chron.com//txpotomac/20...s-illegal-immigrant-families-receive-welfare/
    How much of the bill is the federal government leaving Texas citizens with...?

And Hispanics/Latinos will be the majority in Texas soon. I don't see how this move is a surprise... Especially considering this is Texas. At least they're not kicking them out.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess you don't believe in the constitution. How nice, poop on our great Constitution when you don't like it. It's not toilet paper. Show some respect or GTFO of this great country.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How about they get ARRESTED???

Rocket River

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: With all this talk of immigration reform

WHY DON'T WE ENFORCE AND STRENGTHEN THE PENALTIES FOR THOSE THAT EMPLOY THEM?

Why don't we make them HAVE to do fair market price?
    Why don't we make them HAVE to give them benefits?
    Why don't we make them HAVE to insure safety measures?

Why is the brunt of the focus on the employee and not the employer?

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  12. Cohete Rojo

Nice strawman. Now put your tinfoil hat back on.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You aren't making any sense.

14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Newsies?

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually laws requires employers to adhere to minimum wage, OSHA standards and other employer standards regardless of residency status of employees. Anyway many undocumented workers earn more than minimum wage, such as in construction because that is where the market is at.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't think the founding fathers anticipated that immigration to the United States would ever be as complex as it is now.

On my mom's father's side of the family, they left Ireland during the time of the American Civil War. They left as a family of 5...they got here as a family of 6....because someone was desperate enough to get on a boat 9 months pregnant. Something about wanting a better life for her child, I suppose. Sounds a helluva lot like America to me.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One situation requires states to spend its resources on law enforcement. The other situation requires states to print out a certificate.

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

This isn't entirely true. The modern reading of birthright citizenship generally comes from the 14th amendment (which is nearly 100 years after the founders wrote the constitution). In fact the original American immigration law (Naturalization Act of 1790) specifically limited citizenship to free white immigrants. It purposely excluded minorities such as African Americans or Native Americans.

The Dred Scott decision later compounded this because it ruled that African Americans were in effect property and not citizens. We had a long history of handing out citizenship to only select groups based on race and origin.

The Civil Rights Act of 1866 was the first piece of legislation to broaden this definition to include all people (as opposed to white people) but they threw in a clause that excluded Native Americans. However, soon after the 14th amendment was passed and did not have a clause that excluded Native Americans. The Congressional Record has testimony from members of Congress who state that one of the intended purposes of the 14th amendment is birthright citizenship.

This has nothing to do with the founders anymore. Birthright citizenship was intended with the 14th amendment. And as a child of two immigrants, I'm quite happy it turned out that way. I personally feel as American as anyone else and equally deserving of immediate citizenship. You can try to root out these strange edge case scenarios about illegal immigrants but in turn you'll also affect people like me. Europe has a big problem of creating a large pool of people who are unable to get citizenship because of restrictive citizenship laws. It has hurt them more than it has helped and they struggle with integration of those communities that they purposefully exclude.

I think we forget that this country had a very nasty history of selectively applying citizenship so the 14th amendment was written in such a way as to curb this problem.

2 people like this.
  19. Cohete Rojo

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not sure that they are breaking a law, or would like to know which specific law it is, if there is one that they're breaking. I'm sure there's grounds for a lawsuit for discrimination. But, they aren't directly denying anyone their citizenship. They are merely denying birth certificates -- and not even denying them, but instead delaying them (de facto indefinitely) by insisting on getting some other proof of identification that many illegals don't have. This is just a bureaucratic morass created by a couple of dickheads who want to cause trouble, but I don't think it's something (unfortunately) that you could hold individual people responsible for and slap the cuffs on. Instead, the resolution will be that some judge will order them to resolve the problem by either accepting the ID or by issuing birth certificates without confirming identifications. The dickheads in question won't face any personal consequence and probably even keep their jobs.