1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Longhorns Can Win the Final 4

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by glynch, Aug 28, 2009.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Balbay does have crazy hops. He could be an All American if he could just shoot better.

Free throws will keep us on edge in a number of games, especially in the Tourney once they get through the first game or two. I know Pittman can do better, but Balbay is a mystery. So are Avery Bradley and Jordan Hamilton, though I guess you can chalk that up to being freshman.

It is going to be a great great year.

Go Horns. I am strting to like the Horns better than the Rockets, but why choose.

2. Major

Major Member

It seems like guys like Bradley and Hamilton, being superstars in high school, would have been getting fouled all the time. Those are the kind of guys (especially given that they are shooters anyway) that would seem to be really good at free throws. It amazes me that this team can be so talented and deep across the board, and yet not one of them can shoot free throws at all.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I just don't think they put enough time and effort into practicing FTs in College basketball... I mean you see it in the NBA.. when you put time and effort into them and practice, you become a good FT shooter or at least a solid one.

4. ItsMyFault

Hmm... Texas A&M-CC gave them the worst trouble this season thus far... first single digit win of the season for the Longhorns... but still I think you'll have a few games where you won't do that well.. this team is still very talented.

5. cambyrd

cambyrd Member

From what I've heard, Barnes tries to simulate game situations in free throw practice by having them run wind sprints prior to stepping up to the line. I'm not sure if this is a new technique or the one that he has traditionally employed. If new, hopefully it will improve the shooting. If traditional, it seems time that he changes it. However, a couple of key players have had some good free throw shooting games lately. Notice that J'Covan Brown shoots .946 free throws. I'm not sure what's happened to him in the past two games but Barnes appears upset with him after the A&M CC game.

6. ItsMyFault

Yeah, I'm just saying though... some of these shooters need to hit their fts. Come march... it will really hurt as Texas gets deeper in the bracket. Avery Bradley shouldn't be shooting as low as he is.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

With KU's loss to Tennessee today, Texas should be #1 for the first time in school history. UT and Kentucky are the last 2 unbeatens in Div. 1

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Impressive..... :cool:

--RB

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

A little bit of salve on the NC dissappointment.

DD

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He made the Sweet 16 with Royal Ivey I believe.

11. leroy

It's official...

[rquoter]Texas is No. 1 for first time in AP Poll

Texas is No. 1 in The Associated Press' college basketball poll for the first time.

The Longhorns (15-0) moved into the top spot Monday, replacing Kansas (14-1). The Jayhawks were No. 1 in the preseason poll and the first eight weeks of the season. Kansas dropped to third after losing to Tennessee on Sunday.

Texas received 56 first-place votes from the 65-member national media panel, 47 more than Kentucky. The Wildcats (16-0) moved from third to second.

There was a lot of movement in the poll following a week in which 15 ranked teams lost at least once, including five in the top 10.

Villanova was ranked No. 4, followed by Syracuse, Purdue, Michigan State, Duke, Tennessee and West Virginia. Baylor, Miami and Clemson entered the rankings.[/rquoter]

12. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

^This deserves a new thread, make one!

13. ItsMyFault

Texas could be undefeated until February when that big game against Kansas comes up in Austin. Pittman continues to roll.

14. Major

Major Member

Yeah, but the strength of that team was defense, which he is absolutely brilliant with. It was a senior-laden team that was coming off a final four appearance and actually was ranked in the top 5 or 6 at one point, I believe. The offense, however, looked like a mess and was the main weakness of the team.

Interestingly, the flipside of his needing a point guard is that he can totally work around big men losses. The team took big steps backwards when they lost Ford, Gibson, and Augustin. But they didn't miss a beat when they lost Aldridge or Durant.

15. leroy

Not going to be easy by any stretch to get to that point. Here are the 7 games from now until the game with Kansas on Feb. 8...

Wed, Jan 13 at Iowa St.
    Sat, Jan 16 Texas A&M
    Mon, Jan 18 at (13) Kansas St.
    Sat, Jan 23 at (15) Connecticut
    Wed, Jan 27 Texas Tech
    Sat, Jan 30 (22) Baylor
    Mon, Feb 1 at Oklahoma St.

I'd have to predict at least 1 loss somewhere in there...likely to be either @ KSU or UCONN. But if they get through the Kansas game and still only have 1 loss, they'll pretty much have a 1 see locked up...especially if they win @ UCONN.

16. ItsMyFault

True. I overlooked the schedule... Didn't see UConn... I think that loss will probably come at UConn... I think they can beat KSU.

17. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Ugh. In my four years at Texas, this single thought has caused me more pain than any others. For some reason those damn Wildcats always seem to give us trouble, no matter the sport.

18. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

hey dont count us out I bet we can give them a good game and maybe win especially if we are playing as well as we are now and Ekpe and Lace continue their stellar play.

19. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

We missed in baseball, volleyball, and football. Lets see if the basketball team can bring some glory.

20. leroy

Tough win @ ISU last night in the first defense of #1. Avery Bradley is just a stud. 24 pts, 6 reb, 6 ast. Only going to get tougher. Everyone is out to take down #1. You know the ags will be ready to play on Saturday @ the Erwin Center. Hopefully there will be a good crowd now that football is over.