1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas highways more clogged, more costly

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Oct 9, 2013.

1. da1

da1 Member

Texas highways more clogged, more costly

New figures reveal spikes in congestion along routes many Houstonians favor

Houston's boom times are worsening the area's notorious bumper-to-bumper traffic, new state congestion figures indicate, as the area reaps the benefits of population and job growth that's putting an added strain on local freeways.

"With the economic boom comes the bad stuff, and that is congestion growth," said David Schrank, a researcher for the Texas A&M Transportation Institute.

Two adjoining stretches of U.S. 59 in downtown and west Houston fared the worst regionally on an annual list of the 100-most congested freeways in the state, compiled by Texas Department of Transportation and Texas A&M Transportation Institute officials.

Schrank, a co-author of the report, said changes to methodology led to some spikes in average congestion along certain routes. Areas with major freeway interchanges saw average congestion estimates increase, giving planners a fuller view of the gridlock afflicting most areas of the state.

The additional traffic is having a pronounced effect in certain areas, Schrank said: "These areas are teetering on really, really heavy congestion for long hours of the day."

Stuck on U.S. 59

Houston's two worst freeway segments are along U.S. 59. The stretch from Interstate 10 to Texas 288 ranks second-worst in the state, with an average of 743,006 hours of delay annually, per mile. The freeway from 288 to Loop 610 West ranks third-worst, with 730,655 hours of annual delay, per mile. Only a segment of Interstate 35 in downtown Austin fares worse.

Along both parts of U.S. 59, the new figures show a worsening pattern. Traffic on the eastern segment increased roughly 50 percent. Intense traffic at the interchanges with I-10 and Texas 288 was largely to blame, Schrank said.

"When you have a really, really bad quarter-mile or half-mile, it makes the whole area much worse," he said.

Part of the problem is design and high demand for the freeway during many hours of the day, Harris County Judge Ed Emmett said.

"You clearly have as much traffic going north and eastbound on 59 in the afternoon as you do in the morning," Emmett said, saying any remedy needs to consider the traffic flow.

Four of 10 of the worst

Four of the 10 worst segments in the state are in the Houston area, based on the annual vehicle delay per mile.

In some cases, Houston-area roads fared even worse in other categories. Three of the five worst segments in terms of the financial toll of truck congestion are along I-10 from Interstate 45 westward to the Grand Parkway.

The segment between I-45 and Loop 610 West is considered the worst truck segment in the state, based on the criteria used.

Everyone affected

Emmett said truck traffic in the downtown area must be addressed. Not only does it make traffic worse for commuters, the congestion affects businesses and the truckers.

"They get paid by the mile," Emmett said of truck drivers, "so sitting in traffic doesn't do them any good. They are not the culprits, and I feel sorry for them."

The traffic outlook wasn't all dire. Some segments, notably along I-45, saw traffic delays decrease, mostly due to construction opening new lanes or reducing gridlock at certain intersections. Work along Loop 610 North moved away from I-45, leading to less congestion along I-45. Additional lanes along I-45 south of Houston between Loop 610 South and the Sam Houston Tollway eased congestion on that stretch, according to the state analysis.

Even with construction projects booming across the state, however, freeways are carrying a heavier load and leaving many drivers in longer rush hours as a result.

Limited space

"It is getting worse as every day goes by," said Billy Cooke, chairman of the Transportation Advocacy Group, Houston chapter, which lobbies for increased transportation planning and spending. "People are going to have to start leaving their homes earlier, leaving their kids earlier in the day."

At the same time, growth is also driving traffic farther from Houston's center, establishing new places where heavy traffic is the norm.

The Sam Houston Tollway, envisioned as a way to beat regional traffic, has two segments on the 100-most congested list. The tollway from U.S. 59 south of downtown to Interstate 10 on the city's west side is the 73rd most congested stretch and the most traffic-riddled tolled road in the state.

"The western portion of (Loop) 610 is so congested that people are going to be willing to go out on Beltway 8," Emmett said.

Though wider lanes are inevitable in some spots, officials concede some downtown freeways will likely always be plagued with peak-commute congestion with little hope of relief.

Many Houston-area freeways have limited space and widening them or adding elevated lanes is cost-prohibitive.

"Construction is not going to end, but it is not the end-all," Schrank said. "We just don't have the finances."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...highways-more-clogged-more-costly-4784517.php

2. Illegal Machine

I moved from Atascocita (tackling that portion of 59 every day) to Pearland, where I now tackle 288 every morning!

From #2 to #3! PROGRESS!!

3. Illegal Machine

I may have read that section on 288 wrong. Oh well. What I mean is, "traffic suck, y'all".

Thanks for your time.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Houston needs a serious bypass for I-10.

Houstonians also need to get over their independence of driving their personal vehicles everywhere. Mass transit can work.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

It's because of those illegal immigrants.

1 person likes this.
  6. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

It can but unfortunatly there's no appetite to invest in the right type of technology and infrastructure….I think minds will begin to change in the future and it’s only a matter of time before we get real about building out a great rail system. Madrid is a good example of a city which is spread out across a good amount of land and has a good rail system. Unfortunately I’ll probably be an old man by the time that happens (currently 28)

7. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

I really think a good rail system would give Houston the opportunity over time to develop into a world class tourist destination.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Austin's traffic flow is being overwhelmed by Austin's popularity. In a decade, our population has increased 25%. No city's highway construction could keep up with increases of that magnitude over that period of time. It is simply crazy.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They need to shut down the oils and gas. Move the offices to Mexico.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I used to think Houston traffic was bad until I spent the weekend in San Francisco a few weeks ago. Seriously, there was literally traffic everywhere 24 hours a day. We hit bumper to bumper traffic on a Sunday morning for crying out loud.

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

da1, just stick to one account. No need to create a new one just to shill for yourself.

12. da1

da1 Member

Agreed

13. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

LOL not more than one poster can share the same viewpoint?

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Weekend traffic is much worse here when the weather's nice, due to tourists and people from South Bay and East Bay coming to the city to hang out. Difference between here and Houston is I can walk to the bars, restaurants, and parks. Also if need be, I can bike or take a 10-15 min cab ride anywhere in the city.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Bays public transport system really isn't that good when compared to other world class cities like New York, Chicago, London, pairs, Taipei, Tokyo, etc.

16. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

Sure but the BART connects the bay area.....It would be wonderfull if we had a similar connection for Houston's satellite areas (katy, sugar land, cypress, pearland, etc)

17. da1

da1 Member

That's not me.

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

SF public transport falls short, but luckily the city is walkable.

Houston's Metro system is laughable - I hear a lot of people there spend like an hour in traffic each way.

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

people prefer cars versus a train. Sorry, we figured that out decades ago

1 person likes this.
  20. da1

da1 Member

There was a conspiracy for that to happen. But you're not smart enough to comprehend.