1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Hate on The Daily Show

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by The Real Shady, Jul 18, 2013.

Tags:
  1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QRofSFMMbuM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

It's Lewis Black. 'Nuff said.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Oh my god... that's ****ing hilarious! I recently got back from a couple of weeks in New York, and much of what they say about New York is true. However, crapping on the Great State of Texas just because we have a GOP legislature that's a joke, and a governor, Rick "Big Hair" Perry, who's not only a national joke, but has worked hard to line his pockets while crapping on our state for a decade, is just wrong. Texas is great. Our current legislative majority, and our current Lt. Governor and Governor, deserve all the ridicule New York wants to send our way. Just don't mess with Texas!

4. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

take a joke fellas, we ARE taking their jobs lol.

6. droopy421

droopy421 Member

7. Classic

Classic Member

sum it up for me Ron

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dbDcEc0LRCY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a comedian.

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Comedians are funny. Lewis Black has never been funny. He uses the drunk schtick, how original.

10. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Agreed. This was my response:

Mr Black,

It's been many years since I lived in Texas, having spent the better part of one decade in Los Angeles, and another in Tel Aviv, and while I am a fan of your comedy and your writing, I think responding to Rick Perry at his pedestrian level is beneath you and does not serve anyone's interests.

Texas is a very diverse place, particularly within it's cities, where some 80% of the population lives. I certainly found Houston's neighborhoods far less homogeneous than Los Angeles, Tel Aviv, or even New York's, where lines are still very much more defined by race, and racial dissonance far more common than less.

It's a place full of people from all the country and the world. In my hometown of Corpus Christi, Spanish is at least as predominant as English, and no Republican has ever won a Congressional seat in my lifetime, if ever. It's a large place and accommodates a lot of walks of life and opinions. When you and others make jabs at the whole state because of it's BB brained assholes, I have to sigh at how provincial it sounds. I certainly know better than to judge all New Yorker by the words and actions of Donald Trump or George Steinbrenner or Rudy Giuliani.

By responding in the way you do, you undermine those of us from Texas that are progressives, minorities, eccentrics, and non-bible thumpers who are on the verge of turning Texas into a battleground state in the near future. We would be better served by comedians of your ilk to poke all the fun you want at our nutters, but to recognize our rich history of outspoken heretics and freethinkers who hope for a brighter future.

I like New York City just fine -- other than the high cost of living (a fact I could say goes doubly for my adopted home of Tel Aviv). I don't share the views of Governor Perry in any way and the power that he and his cronies have in my home state speaks more to the culture of corruption and monied interests than it reflects who Texans are as an extremely large and growing mass of diverse people.

Having opened your own play at the Alley Theater in Houston, I would expect you to know better. While you may have received easy applause from your fellow New Yorkers, you have only stirred up the worst of the yokels who will undoubtedly take it out on the rest of us.

The real joke is that the Texas of Rick Perry is not only a myth...it never existed. Certainly there is a reason people continue to move there and the day will come when the nation wakes up from it's trickle down hangover and comes to its senses. It's my problem and yours and you have done my family and friends little justice, especially in light of the way they have fought the encroachment of the neo-Confederates in my state.

Sincerely,

Zach Wheat
    kidsfromnowhere.com

1 person likes this.
  11. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

At least we aren't Cleveland.

And I know they must be pissed due to the fact that we are the growing job epicenter of the country. But hey... someone has to live in that overcrowded city. I am just thankful that I get to spend my years in Texas.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think I ran into an anti-Texas bias while in Miami, of all places.

Of course, the airport there sucks anyway, but...

Coming back from Brazil, they really put me through the ringer in customs. Usually it was after, "Where are you from?" "Houston, Texas." "Go stand on the red line, here's some lube, you can put it on your ass if you want, NEXT!"

And, after they had given me their grief in customs: "You're from Texas, huh? A- whole -nother world there."

There are always the few yee-haw, everything-is-better/bigger-in-Texas who ruin life for the rest of us. It's the same when I travel:

"Where are you from?"

"Texas."

"Cowboy!"

13. treeman

treeman Member

Eh, whatever. Lewis Black has made a career out of being an obnoxious liberal douchebag, and New York tops my list of states I refuse to set foot in.

So whatever. I am sure he is just as happy that someone like me will never come to New York as I am that a douchebag like him will never come here.

14. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Who knew losing that championship to Olajuwon and company would leave them so bitter?

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Really? You would avoid an entire state because it's too "liberal" for you? You'll live.

16. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

The only thing worse than judging a whole group of people because of one douchebag is to be self-loathing and apologetic because someone painted you with a broad brush. It's tiring to endure stereotypes but I see no reason to ever be ashamed of where I was born and the culture I grew up in.

17. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Lewis Black sucks as a comedian . Only watched him once but don't remember even cracking a smile .

If Texas sucks so much why doesn't he stay the hell out

Lewis Black Tickets 9/29 9-29-2013
    Sunday
    8:00 PM Bass Performance Hall in Fort Worth, TX

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I laughed...

..AT them since they're so jealous of us Texans.

must suck for them.

19. treeman

treeman Member

I avoid any state that is hostile to firearms ownership. Absolutely.

You're right, I'll live, and I will die happy even knowing I never got a bite of the big apple. I feel absolutely no need to visit NY or NYC, there is nothing at all there that is attractive to me. I am not too high on CA either, but at least they have great beaches and fantastic weather.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Plus, Kate Upton's elbows are too pointy!

1 person likes this.