1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas GOP and Voter Suppression

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MystikArkitect, Oct 16, 2020.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just heard about this and am wondering what coverage this story is getting in TX.
    https://www.newsweek.com/texas-ag-s...ocked-mail-ballots-applications-being-1597909

Texas AG Says Trump Would've 'Lost' State If It Hadn't Blocked Mail-in Ballots Applications Being Sent Out
    BY JASON LEMON ON 6/5/21 AT 3:59 PM EDT

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, a Republican, said former President Donald Trump would have lost in Texas in the 2020 election if his office had not successfully blocked counties from mailing out applications for mail-in ballots to all registered voters.

Harris County, home to the city of Houston, wanted to mail out applications for mail-in ballots to its approximately 2.4 million registered voters due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the conservative Texas Supreme Court blocked the county from doing so after it faced litigation from Paxton's office.

"If we'd lost Harris County—Trump won by 620,000 votes in Texas. Harris County mail-in ballots that they wanted to send out were 2.5 million, those were all illegal and we were able to stop every one of them," Paxton told former Trump adviser Steve Bannon during the latter's War Room podcast on Friday.

"Had we not done that, we would have been in the very same situation—we would've been on Election Day, I was watching on election night and I knew, when I saw what was happening in these other states, that that would've been Texas. We would've been in the same boat. We would've been one of those battleground states that they were counting votes in Harris County for three days and Donald Trump would've lost the election," the Republican official said.

Notably, the Texas attorney general conflated mail-in ballots with applications for mail-in ballots in his remarks to Bannon. Harris County did not attempt to mail actual ballots to registered voters—just applications to request them if the individual voter wanted one.

As Paxton pointed out, Trump carried the traditionally conservative southwestern state by more than 600,000 votes. While President Joe Biden won 46.5 percent of the state's more than 11.3 million votes, Trump won about 52.1 percent. Polling ahead of the election had suggested that Biden had a shot at flipping the red state, which last went for a Democratic presidential candidate in 1976.

A 2020 analysis of U.S. election laws by Northern Illinois University ranked Texas as the most difficult state for voting. While absentee voting is allowed in the state for anyone over the age of 65 without an excuse, the state requires those younger to have a valid reason for requesting an absentee ballot. While Democrats believed the COVID-19 pandemic should be an acceptable excuse for any registered voter to cast their ballots by mail, Paxton and other Texas Republicans disagreed.

Meanwhile, GOP lawmakers in Texas want to make it more difficult to vote in the state. Their efforts have been largely animated by Trump's baseless claims that Biden won the 2020 election through widespread voter fraud. These false allegations have already been thoroughly litigated and wholly debunked, while the former president and his allies have failed to provide evidence to substantiate them.

Democratic lawmakers in the Texas state House blocked what they viewed as a voter suppression bill from moving forward at the end of May. The Democrats walked out of the late evening legislative session on May 30, denying Republican lawmakers quorum to pass the legislation. Although that successfully prevented the bill from moving forward, Texas Governor Greg Abbott, a Republican, has vowed to call a special session in a further effort to pass changes to the state's election laws.

Newsweek reached out to Paxton's office for further comment but did not immediately receive a response.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

But but... I was told it was really about election security. Say it ain't so, Joe!

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Of the 2.4 million Harris County voters, 1.6 million voted. Sending out 2.4 million applications for absentee voting would not have flipped the county. Paxton continues to prove he's an idiot.

5. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The GOP did lose Harris County. Not sure what AG Paxton is talking about.

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know you only care about low quality cartoons, but your position (and the cartoon's) is illogical. If you really cared about "making voters prove who they are" via voter ID, drive-through voting is the perfect venue to do that: drive up, show your state-issued driver's license and vote.

But it's not really about that for you, is it?

#146 mtbrays, Jun 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

An additional 600,000+ votes

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’m shocked that if people were allowed to vote the republicans would lose. Shocked I tell you!

But that’s because majority of this country wants competent leadership. Meanwhile people like @MojoMan and @dachuda86 want to blow a fat guy that wears his pants backwards because he claims he’s rich.

TWS1986, mdrowe00, ROCKSS and 3 others like this.
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

600,000 ballot applications to people who didn't end up voting in Harris County. Let's go ahead and assume Harris County grants all applications it gets on a sickness claim. Direct mail gets a take-up rate of ~0.5-2%. Let's give them the full 2%. That's 12,000 relevant voters that might have sent in an application. That might flip a vote for county commissioner, but not President.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We let this happen with voting machines only to have controversy when it became wrapped in politics. Chuck Hagel became senator while deeply tied to the industry. Another exec was a booster for GW Bush.

I wouldn't mind some partnership to modernize and improve the system. That probably leads to the same outcome but obviously not the same as handing the keys over to a third party from a virtual no-bid auction.

JuanValdez likes this.
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The hybrid approach is the one I'd want to most avoid. Maybe I'm biased by my experience in my own industry, but mixing government function and markets strikes me as the recipe for corruption. I'd go full government agency or full market, and not get caught between two stools.

12. Buck Turgidson

Oh for ****'s sake...

Really kids?

TWS1986 likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

FranchiseBlade and jiggyfly like this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was wondering about Paxton's math. Besides his math this is an another admission on the part of the Republicans that making it harder to vote isn't really about combatting fraud but that they feel they can't win if more people vote.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Don't forget @SuraGotMadHops

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Supporting election suppression is very fascist period.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hmm... somewhat confused why they don't have a quorum to ram their voter suppression and anti-trans bills through, but they can vote to arrest members of the minority party?

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I am totally confused by this. Hopefully someone can explain it.

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Weird that they chose a picture from like 4 years ago. Pretty sure that’s don huffines who sat in front of west.