1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Education Agency will take control of Houston ISD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by astros123, Mar 15, 2023.

1. astros123

astros123 Member

Texas Education Agency on Wednesday confirmed it’s removing Houston Independent School District’s democratically elected school board and superintendent, effectively putting the state in charge of its largest school district.

Don't ever forget these right wingers don't care about "small government." They want THEIR version of government whatever that may be. These folks are losers who will don't beleive in a democratic process.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is Abbot going to go full DeSantis and start emptying out libraries?

3. astros123

astros123 Member

Yup....he waited till after the elections

fchowd0311 likes this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I remember learning in 7th grade Texas was a "weak-governor" state because Texans had a strong distrust of central authority and deferred to local control

However, as in the 19th c, this only applies to whites

glynch, Xerobull, fchowd0311 and 5 others like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What HISD kids need is more classes on Jim Bowie, a great Texan.

glynch likes this.
  6. astros123

astros123 Member

Maybe the new Abbott board will recommend we need more public schools named after confederate generals. The Robert Lee high school isn't bad enough.

Why do we make black kids go to a school named after a civil war southern general again? Imagine if they had schools named after nazis in Germany. Insanity

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

my public high school history teacher taught us that Sam Houston was a drunk sandbagger more interested in making money than anything else.

He was/is an amazing teacher and made us interested in History.

8. Buck Turgidson

"Sandbagger"?

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm dismayed that this thread hasn't blown up. The state government just invalidated all our votes for our local leaders and will now come in to "fix" something that they are no more qualified to fix than the folks they threw out. All so they can paint Democrats as incompetent managers to score political points in the next statewide (not local) elections. And apparently Houstonians mostly shrug. I've been looking and looking for the rationale of why I should believe TEA managers would have any more success than the elected HISD board and I'm not finding it. Houstonians should be offended. Republicans seem to identify more strongly as Republicans than they do as Houstonians or else they would be offended. But even the Democratic response is lackluster.

Yeah, he would be intentionally pessimistic in his revenue projections during the budgeting process to make sure he would always hit his bonus targets. ;)

10. fchowd0311

TEA managers will remove wokeism out of our education and save the kids who attend HISD from the hideous ideology.

A class dedicated to Jim Bowie mandatory for all male (birth only) students will also be implemented to teach young males what a proper role model looks like.

SamFisher and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Travesty of Democracy, Travesty of Education, and complete crap.

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

13. Buck Turgidson

As has been noted by a very trusted and reasonable poster several times...the Texas GOP war on local control has been ongoing for about a decade. It's getting ramped up to ludicrous speed now:

Texas Republican lawmakers this legislative session are looking to expand State authority and shrink local control at the city and county level.

House Bill 2127 would keep municipalities from passing or enforcing local rules in several critical areas "unless explicitly authorized by statute."

Authored by State Rep. Dustin Burrows and backed by Gov. Greg Abbott, if HB 2127 is passed, a city or county may no longer be able to adopt or enforce ordinances or orders designed to protect its residents from drought conditions, overgrown lots, dangerous animals, predatory lending businesses, controlled burns and local sporting events. It would also nullify some rules made to protect workers.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/p...rity/269-887b9ea1-eab8-414a-8a7a-c8cebca9b1fc

https://thehill.com/newsletters/sus...lature-could-strip-cities-of-local-authority/

Read 'em both.

mdrowe00, Xerobull, astros123 and 2 others like this.
  14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

we need the education that the red rural states offer.

FranchiseBlade and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This isn't political at all. I'm sure Gov Hot Wheels and the TEA have nothing but the best intentions in taking over one of the largest school districts in the country in a pretty heavily democratic leaning area. Calling it a failing district based on 1 school that has seen improvements definitely calls for the nuclear option to be taken.

mdrowe00, astros123, cheke64 and 2 others like this.
  16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This looks like a Key and Peele character.

Xerobull, fchowd0311 and ROCKSS like this.
  17. fchowd0311

Racist White people like their Black people being caricatures.

It's why they chose Hershel Walker also. He knows his place.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I feel dumb lol. It’s carpetbagger. I was also without caffeine writing that

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Something character played by Martin. These cat screams corruption and stupidity.

20. Buck Turgidson

How dumb does your teacher feel?

I'm totally kidding. I knew what term you were going for, but had to **** with you anyway.

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.