1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Cop Who Fatally Shot Man After Entering Wrong Apartment Identified

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Sep 9, 2018.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe, but she'll have to come up with a pretty great concept for this book. Recounting how your situational awareness and dynamic decision-making were so poor that you murdered somebody doesn't make for good reading. She's got some material for a born-again-in-prison story, but honestly those are more dramatic with the more hardened criminals. Maybe a fish-out-water story, but it's already been done with Orange Is the New Black. She'll need a ghostwriter that can come up with better narratives than what I've got.

In any case, I believe Guyger is also named in the family's wrongful death lawsuit against the DPD. They could very well be first in line for any proceeds from any book sale.

2. amaru

amaru Member

Caveat: I do have some non-black blood relatives that I do care for dearly. They fall into the "my people" category.

3. amaru

amaru Member

That's a pretty disingenuous take. White nationalists believe that they are superior to other racial groups and they advocate for the separation of the races. I don't think that black people are superior to any other group (we are all of the same species afterall). I just realize that anti-blackness is ubiquitous and my energies are better served to focus and working within my own community. I have seen multiple racial and ethnic groups do this....it only appears to get push back when it comes from black people.

CometsWin likes this.
  4. amaru

amaru Member

Is it though? I'm not biracial. But I've heard many half white/ half black adults say that they were not fully accepted by their white extended family.....and in some cases even their own white parent. They are seen as "black" or "other".

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Idk it goes both ways, many people also frown upon people grouping up and segregating themselves from society at the same time.

Black in America is very different from any other group though, they are the only large group that was brought here against their will, which can never be overlooked. Perhaps most similar to Natives, who weren't brought to America against there will of course, but Europeans certainly brought America to their land against their will.

I understand wanting to focus on the black community, because it's far behind the white community in nearly all metrics of the standard of living.

The approach you're talking about though, does seem ****ed up. It seems very young Malcolm X and nothing like MLK. The goal, to me, is for everybody to be one, for everybody in America to be equal. In order to do that, I think we need to come together and pull not only black communities, but all impoverished communities up ... to the best living standards available to any group in this country.

I don't the - we should break apart with the whole "**** you if ain't my color" type attitude - is gonna work (at least not the way we would want it to), that kind of sounds like business as usual, and that's not for the betterment of the black community.

#905 ThatBoyNick, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  6. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

7. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

8. amaru

amaru Member

My approach seems ****ed up because it is not a socially acceptable stance for a black person to hold. That doesn't make it inherently wrong. Very few people bat an eye when Asian, Arab, Jewish communities strive to keep their dollars in their own communities and build up their own people. It only seems to get a rise out of people when black people try to do the same. I can't be sure exactly why that is but I have my suspicisions.

I would like for everybody to be equal in the country but I doubt that that will ever happen. There is too much money in inequality and, to be honest, when a nation's foundation is based on inequality I don't see how it can ever move towards true equality. Black people have consistently been near the bottom in every positive statistical measure for decades. Let's be honest, if America was truly prioritizing helping black people this could be easily fixed. It's not America's priority. Nobody is coming to "save" black people...hell I'm not convinced that most non-black people even really see black people as their equals. We have to help ourselves. We can't do that if we are worried about everybody else.

koochingchang, mdrowe00 and Amiga like this.
  9. jcf

jcf Member

It sounds like your view is more nuanced than taking a few sentences literally. My initial thought was that if you took your earlier post and switched out the race, it would be pretty incendiary. I think I understand your point better.

Os Trigonum and amaru like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Like I said earlier, people grouping together by ethnicity is something that is frowned upon by some people, no matter what group is doing it. Yes I know of people who are annoyed by Mexico and China towns. I don't think people care any different if black people do it either, what people took accpetion to in this thread was your comment saying you don't give a **** about anybody who isn't your skin color. That is what seems ****ed up. The same way it would be ****ed up for anybody to say that, regardless of skin pigmentation.

If you think the black community is going to be able to somehow pull its self out of poverty and onto the same floor as the upper-class white community in this country by itself... good luck with that thinking. Because nobody in the lower class, regardless of skin color, is going to pull themselves up for **** if they have the attitude that they are separate and fighting against the rest of the mfers struggling in this country. That's what we currently have, poor white people are voting for Trump, they are voting in people who want to cut social security, cut medicare, and cut taxes for the rich.

By no means should the black community give up and wait to be saved, but they shouldn't turn their back against society and withdraw themselves from working with the rest of America to again, not only pull their own community out of the dirt, but all poor communities. This isn't skin warfare anymore, it's class warfare now, the poor, working and middle class needs to come together to fight for a fair economy, come together to fight poverty and inequality, doing so will statistically speaking in percentages, benefit the black, native and Hispanic communities the greatest.

Again, what's the end goal with the **** everybody I only care about my skin color attitude? You have to know the answer to that, because that's again, strikingly similar to young Malcolm X who was speaking about being pro-segregation. Opposite to MLK, who had the vision of a hawk, in saying, it's not skin warfare anymore, it's class warfare, that the poor white and black man are fighting the same battles, and can't fight eatchother.

11. amaru

amaru Member

1) History tells us differently. Look up the history of "The Black Wallstreet", specifically it's demise.

2) I never said that I didn't "give a ****" about anybody who wasn't black. I said that I am not concerned with the beliefs, thoughts or actions of their communities unless it negatively affects mine. Essentially, I'm minding my own business. How much simpler would things be if people of all colors simply did this?

3) What do you mean by "this isn't skin warfare anymore"?

4) It's not the job of black people to save everybody else. You need to take care of home before you take care of the neighborhood.

5) Serious question: Have you ever read the Autobiography of Malcolm X? How much do you know about MLK and his views later in life?

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

1. I'm certainly aware in the early 1900's that black success wasn't accepted. I'm more so speaking of today, I can't say I've experienced people upset about a black community. I've mostly experienced anger towards Hispanic and Asian communities due to the fact that they don't speak English.

2. It seems like the same thing, if you didn't care about anybody who doesn't affect you, okay that's common. You specified anybody who isn't your skin color. I read that as you care about people of your skin color, and don't give a **** about others. That comes across as a ****ed-up thing. And before you repeat that it's because you're saying that as a black person, no I'm not focusing on that, if anybody says that it comes across as ****ed up. Anybody.

3. It's class warfare, poverty is the biggest issue for the black, native and hispanic communities. Racism undeniably led to the inequality within the black and native communities, racism certainly still exists today, but the main problem today is now poverty.

4. Your skin isn't a home it's skin, this country is our home, poverty is every American's problem IMO. No matter if it's white, black or brown poverty, no matter what color a hungry child's skin is, child hunger is my problem as an American.

5. I won't claim to be anywhere near an expert on either, I haven't read their books, I've just listened to full speeches by young Malcolm X, and by MLK, I sought a basic understanding of what their views were and what made them different. What stood out to me is that Malcolm was focused on black vs white, MLK was focused on poverty and equality. But it's entirely likely you have a much more comprehensive understanding of their views then I do.

EDIT - perhaps we should continue this exchange in private messages then continue to kind of derail this thread. Send me a message if you're interested in furthering the convo. @amaru

13. amaru

amaru Member

1) To this point, black people haven't really taken to the extent of Asian and Arab communities. Those communities have the right idea though.

2) You're entitled to your opinion

3) The issues you have raised are not mutually exclusive. Why are these communities typically poorer?

4) "Home" was a euphemism for the black community. Meaning that we need to turn our attention inward before we turn it outward. What you are saying is idealistic. In a perfect world that would be how it works. But we both know that's not how this country truly operates.

5) Both pretty focused on the "black/white thing" as it affected them directly. Malcolm's rhetoric played a big role in people listening to King. MLK is "loved" now (really used as a convenient tool to shame black people for socially undesirable behavior). I agree with a lot of what King said but I doubt you've heard the quotes I'm referring too. You should read Malcolm's book if you have the time.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

American has not been as openly hostile to any community moreso than African Americans with the exception to the near Extinction of the Native Americans

It is not simply that black people have not been successful
    it is that they were not allowed. . . from Redlining and Discriminatory lending practices
    To the more Diabolical Kill the Successful black people because he was outdoing you
    to Murdering a Whole Town of black successfult towns (Tulsa and even Rosewood)

Rocket River

15. Nook

Nook Member

That has been the case historically. I have witnessed that change over the last 10 years in large part because of the sheer number of biracial children. Many white and black families have been forced to confront it. Just like with so many people admitting to be gay.

There is still discrimination but it is harder to just accept ignorance or hatred when it is directed against your daughter or grandchildren.

Also the lack of acceptance of biracial children extends to both sides of the family in some degree.

I am not claiming it is great, only that it is less of an issue in general terms. I will also preface this based on the biracial families I know or my family members.

16. amaru

amaru Member

I don’t doubt your experiences. I’ve just seen more of the opposite. Perhaps it’s just the side of the fence I’m on.

Nook likes this.
  17. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

18. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is simply crazy. How sad.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Retaliation . . . message sent . . .. . now they clear for her appeal
    The Person that filmed. . .she was fired from her job . .. . retaliation . . . .message sent . . . . . .. .

Blue Code of Silence. . . .. . Snitches get dead or destroyed. . . . .

Rocket River