1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

No, have not done that. I LOVE Roegel's smoked pastrami as it is the only time I have had it at a BBQ place. Will have to do a google search on how to do it and will try it on a small brisket!

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

More famously known as Montreal smoked meat...

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Isn't that, you know, just pastrami? Smoked corned beef? My dad makes a mean corned beef. Thinking of partnering with him to make a pastrami since he doesn't know the ways of smoking meats.

Relatively new place in Spring off of Rayford Rd called 3rd Coast BBQ. Just a hair below Corkscrew and Tejas, IMO.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is Corkscrew open for dine in?

5. leroy

Yes but only Wed-Sat right now.

King1 and tinman like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

I find pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted, cured meats.

jiggyfly, Deckard, jo mama and 2 others like this.
  7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Tried it for lunch and sure if I caught a bad day but man this was ridiculously salty. Would’ve liked more sauerkraut as well.

Also got a 1/2 chicken plate and will say it was excellent.

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Today’s episode of Texas BBQ (but not in Texas) is from CloudCroft NM. There are two places in town Texas Pit and Mad Jacks’s Mountain Top BBQ. Texas Pit was a waste of money, Brisket was at best a C effort and I don’t know how they made pork ribs tasteless but they did.

Mad Jack’s on the other hand was excellent. They did the sign out front proud. It reads “The real deal straight from the BBQ capita of Texas, Lockhart”.

Moist Brisket - A - very tasty with a nice bark.
    Pork Ribs - B+ well cooked and tasty just a level below what it takes for an A
    Beef Ribs - the guy in front of me got the last one but Mad Jack gave me a scrap off the chopping board so I’d say they were probably grade out as an A.

Sauce was not needed but was delicious.

178E8F1C-64D9-420A-B335-351A158A2102.jpeg
    EF9BF0C1-F36F-4427-993D-BC4AA1409CE5.jpeg
    FA3F544C-D3CA-4FB4-8F47-298F8EB11393.jpeg

Blatz and Deckard like this.
  9. Blake

Salty? Hmm maybe a bad day. I haven’t been since Covid started but it is normally amazing and the kraut plentiful.

10. Blake

Well played quote. Good old Seinfeld

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  11. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

that stuff is so damn good.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm doing five racks of ribs (pork) Sunday. I know it's not texas-style, but it's actually my first time doing ribs and I'm pumped.

Blake likes this.
  13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Just looked up a recipe for it and fuhgettabout it. Its gotta brine for 8 days and then another 6 hours of "de-brining". Thats too much work man. Im still curious to try it, but man its far down on the list now.

https://glebekitchen.com/montreal-smoked-meat/

14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

as a Texan, I think it would be pure blasphemy to say I like Montreal smoked meat better than Texas brisket, but I will say this: There’s plenty of mediocre brisket out there, and most of the good montreal smoked meat I’ve had is up there with the best brisket (which for me, has been Snow’s).

donkeypunch likes this.
  15. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

sorry about your experience at louie muellers. ive been eating there for over 20 years (i go to taylor once every 3 months or so for work and eat there almost every time). ive never had an experience close to that. even on a weekend when the line goes to the door its never been more than 40 minutes or so. i agree that their line is not as effecient as it could be, but ive always chalked it up to wanting a more slow-paced/old school vibe...but ive never encountered what you did.

id put their PORK (not beef) ribs up amongst the best ive ever had. that jalapeno cheese sausage is the s***. great brisket.

and ive always loved the ambiance in there. its just a big old building with tall ceilings, walls covered in decades of layers of smoke and lots of other cool old stuff.

this might put my texas BBQ street cred in question, but theres a new HEB that opened up in south Austin at Slaughter and Congress. There is a BBQ restaurant in there and I heard good things so I went and checked it out. got a brisket plate...it was a great cut of meat. tasted like legit texas BBQ...not bill millers or rudys. for my sides i got green beans, which i think were just canned beans w/ some tomatoes...the other side i got was cornbread and i s*** you not, it might have been the best cornbread ive ever had.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

An HEB? Seriously? Pretty crazy! I wouldn't say we live close, but not terribly far, either. Think they'll do curbside delivery? After 5 months of my own BBQ, I'm ready for something different besides the usual.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I dont see why not. Just call it in and ask them to add it to your online order pickup. You may have to have cash for it or maybe they can take your card over the phone.

Deckard and TWS1986 like this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Love the giant bucket o' lard in the background of one of those pics. lol.

19. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I am quite embarrassed to say that until now I didn't realize pastrami was made with beef plate or brisket... now I'm craving it. It's 5:27am. FML

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. leroy

Question for the group here.

Is it a universal belief that if the BBQ place is open for dinner, it's likely not any good? Are there any that actually are open beyond 3 or 4 pm?

Given that, it seems like there's a huge missed opportunity. Why start cooking at 2 am to open at 11? Why not start later and be open for late afternoon/dinner service instead? You could still make accommodations for catering earlier in the day.

Just something I've thought about lately.