1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Good to hear it's still top notch. I'm ready to make another trip up to Franklin.

K LoLo likes this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Please tell me that's a typo ...

CometsWin likes this.
  3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I can tell you it isn't and that I'm surprised he was able to get as much as he did. My one time, got there at 8 and inside at 12:30. They were out of turkey and sausage at that point.

4. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Nope. Plenty of people behind me and several waiting as we were walking out as well. They had everything still on the menu though. If you know the place...we were about int he middle of the parking lot.

We talked to the general manager, and he told us the line was even longer the weekend before when it was below freezing temps. Guess we picked a "good day". Only about 50 degrees and there was a light rain for about 5 minutes when we showed up.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I went to Franklin's in August. Went on a Saturday, got there at 7:00 am. Got our food around 1:00, and got the last order of beef ribs.

tinman likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Holy crap. I went there a couple of years ago, I guess and got there around 8am, I think. I was the 2nd or 3rd person in line, I think and that was only because I drove around for a while so as to not look like a dork and be on the cover of a magazine with the caption "get there early" or something. :) I had no idea things had gotten worse.

CometsWin likes this.
  7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I absolutely LOVE smoked brisket and beef ribs. But there are few things in this world that I hate more than standing in a line. Drives me absolutely crazy. I think this is what cognitive dissonance feels like.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

It actually wasn't as bad as we thought. The people behind us brought plenty of chairs, the free ones Franklin provides were already gone. There is also free wi-fi, I had my iPad with me so we watched college football while we waited. Also pounded a ton of beer while waiting in line. Its basically just a big tailgate.

9. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Agreed. We were with a couple of friends, so the time passed pretty quickly. I didn't really mind the wait. It was an interesting event. I'd go again.

10. Buck Turgidson

God bless 'em, but If I'm going to stand around and drink beer at 7am until 2, I'm going to be doing it around my own bbq pit.

heypartner and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I tried going on a Thursday the week after Christmas. Got there at 8 and the line went all the way up Juniper to Curve, so I went and got Don Juan tacos instead. I want to try it and the experience sounds fun, but I didn't want to take the chance of not getting anything.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

they will usually tell you if you won't get anything, they will cut the line off once it gets too long. They check the line to figure out what everyone is ordering and tell you what should be left on the menu once you get up there.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That played a part in why I left. The line was way farther than where I was the last time I tried when they told us we might not get what we wanted.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You should come on an off day like a Tuesday and show up at 1pm, usually they overestimate and you can still get food after the last person.

15. Buck Turgidson

You know yall have an open invitation.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Word. I'm coming up for DBT in April, get yo tix.

SWTsig likes this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Donatas in town...goes to Killens

18. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I went to Kreuz Market yesterday in Lockhart to reconfirm what I already knew. Kreuz has the best BBQ in Lockhart. The jalapeno and cheese sausage was aweseome. The ribs were awesome. The brisket was very good. Great bark. Great flavor. Great smokiness. Could have been a tiny bit more tender, but I'm splitting hairs. The beans are also awesome. I also love that they don't put any mayo in their potato salad.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Their brisket use to be the best, it was always moist back in the day.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Even Dmo knows Killens brisket sucks.