1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Had Snows last weekend and its as good as ever. The lean brisket was disappointing, but I should have known better.

The moist part mixed with the slightly crispy ends is like heaven in your mouth. Their jalapeno sausage and pork ribs got even better.

Friend also spoke with Ms. Tootsie into teaching me how to BBQ, got her number and am gonna go later on this year on a Thursday and learn the whole process. Can't wait!

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but word is that Mr. Goode has passed away. Sadness.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Nice! That should be a blast.

4. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

You can now get 2 different Killen's BBQ rubs at the HEB at 518/Pearland Parkway.

Coming to more stores soon, bug your store about it and they can probably get it.

Killen's is distributing it themselves, not through HEB so they are getting set up in one store at a time.

5. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Good to know. Is one for ribs? I have a hankering to BBQ as soon as I can get up and going again! Not one of my sons or sons-in -laws have the patience to turn out quality BBQ!! Quiet frustrating.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

She's an awesome lady and at her age still busts her butt working those pits. Sweet as hell, too. If she's not busy, she'll make time to take pics with people that chat with her. She was working at City Meat Market in Giddings before I was born. lol. BTW, Snow's used to get their sausage from City Meat Market. Not sure if they still do.

You've really got to love BBQ to hit up Snow's. Are they still only open Saturdays from 8am to whenever they run out of meat? I remember they used to run out by 11am. They're the ones that started the BBQ craze of the past few years.

And quit asking for lean brisket, man. Geez. :)

7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Snow's is still the best I've had in a restaurant. Love eating great BBQ at nine in the morning.

8. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

One is a Brisket Rub and one is a Salt & Pepper blend. The rib rub may be coming.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So jealous. I've been wanting to go there for years but could never get it together to make it early enough on a Saturday. After your lessons, you must host a CF get together.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Yup only on Saturdays. Got there at 8AM exactly and there was already a long line. Had to wait about an hour and there was still a long line behind us. But the lady inside said they usually start running out of meat around noon time at the earliest.

11. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I have been there at least 4 or 5 times and have enjoyed it every time. The food is fairly good but definitely not amazing. The service and atmosphere are great and it doesn't hurt that I have a personal connection with the place. Just don't expect incredible BBQ if you come. The sausage is really good though.

12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Trick for Snows, go on a cold rainy saturday in the winter. I got there at 930 on a saturday in december and walked right in. it was great. Need to go back again soon.

13. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Went to Virgie's for the first time yesterday. Brisket, ribs, baked beans and sauce were all solid.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Just got an 18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain for my Bday from my fiancée. Super stoked to try it out this weekend. I'll be starting it Saturday night after I get back from the Rockets game.

What should me first cook be?

Should I season it? I've read reviews that's say it's necessary, then others that say it isn't.

Gracias!

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

A pork shoulder - very difficult to screw up.

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

I do like to eat butt.

basso likes this.
  17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Goes great with a side of tossed salad

subtomic likes this.
  18. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I have the same one. I did a pork shoulder on Sunday between 225 and 250 for about 10 hours. It was really good. Like they said above, you cant really screw up pork shoulder or even ribs or a chicken. I cheat on the ribs though with the 3-2-1 method and put a little bit of jalapeno jelly on them for the last hour and it has turned out amazing each time. Be ready that the cold weather and wind will slow down your cooking time a bit. I had to keep adding hot coals pretty often for a while to get it to stay close to the right temp and I had to put up a little bit of a barrier around the smoker to keep the wind from cooling it down too much.

I seasoned mine and I think it helped but not much to compare it to since i didnt cook on it without but I did notice that the first few times i cooked on it, it got better flavor each time using the same methods.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Season it, and cook something really fatty and greasy.

20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I might follow my own advice and go to Snow's again tomorrow. I'm headed to Houston from Austin anyway so maybe a stop by snow's for some BBQ is in order.

Buck Turgidson likes this.