1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His sister I heard accused him of stealing from the business .
    They hired John Louis who was the assistant to Franklin

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yeah, i found an article that quotes his other brother in Taylor claiming the same thing as their sister did. I guess he's a dick.

3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Finally got my photos to work inline.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I know where I'm going 4/28.

5. heypartner

VooDooPope Nice photo. Do you have more. geez, I'm tempted to ask someone to fedex me an entire brisket and couple racks of ribs.

In this picture, I love that look on your face like a kid in a candy store

[​IMG]

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

That's not me, that's the cashier.

No other photos. I was too busy eating.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Man, I'm getting hungry! That closeup of the brisket is so freakin' mouth watering.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The crazy part of all this is that Aaron Franklin was a cashier at John Mueller's place several years ago. The original pit Franklin used when he started was one he bought at an auction of Mueller's stuff another time he shut down (some say due to alcoholism).

Another twist : the assistant you're talking about was hired before Mueller was fired and shut down. Louis was supposed to go out of state and wanted to pick up some pointers from Mueller before he left so he started working there. Then came the word Mueller was canned by his sister and that his sister would be starting a new place with Louis as pit boss. I guess Louis was talked into staying or something. lol. It's like a meat soap opera.

All I know is the Austin area has way too many good bbq joints and ya'll don't deserve it. :p

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Rangers...

Pshh, not eating there.

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Ugh, if there's one thing I miss about Austin it's the cue.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I also ate at La Barbecue today around 12 and it's pretty pricey. Almost 20 bucks for a lb of brisket. They hand out moist cuts for samples and it's really good. Fearing how fatty a lb that would be, we got a mix of moist and lean. It wasn't as great as the lean parts were dry and the fatty layer on top was still nice and rich. So this was a case where a happy medium backfired, and getting moist cut brisket would be a more enjoyable experience. Also, their cuts are too thick. If you have any control over this, try asking for thinner cuts. Probably helps with the dryness issue.

The pulled pork was dry and needed more seasoning. I'd avoid it considering the price.

The chorizo-like sausage was okay, but I also felt it was dry even though it tasted nice. It's worth a try if you're adventurous for a different tasting sausage, though I like spicier foods like Thai Chili peppers or vindaloo curry. If a jalepeno was a 4 on the spicy scale, the sausage would be 2.

The coleslaw is good if you like peppercorn. It gives it a slow spicy edge and I would rate it as spicy as the chorizo.

The beef ribs are great. I usually prefer pork over beef ribs because the latter usually tastes beefy and fattening. Here, they got a great rub that becomes an essential part of a moist, fall off the bone, beef rib. It seemed like they used the short end of it.

For the pork ribs, if you've eaten sweet pork jerky, the taste is a lot like that, and someone from my group called it meat candy. It's also pretty good, but I felt the pork itself was dry, likely due to the lengthy cooking time beforehand and the time it finally got to my plate. Still enjoyable in moderation, but not the best for gluttons who want a non-stop heavenly experience.

You can probably guess that I got a lot of food, but I didn't finish it because the richness made me satisfied before I felt stuffed.

The beer was free and there was live music. Definitely help set the atmosphere and kinda offset the priciness of the whole menu. I'm not sure if the arrival time made a difference in the dryness of the meat we ordered, but it didn't meat my expectations among a perfect bar of bbq. It's still a good place to try out in terms of contenders.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I was there around 12:30.

Beef ribs - A
    Probable the best I've had

Moist brisket - A
    The best I've had at a restaurant

Pork Ribs - B+
    Very good but not the best I've had

Sausage - A
    Unique. Tasted slightly like chorizo.

Best BBQ place I've been, but I've never had franklins.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Sounds like half the board was there at the same time but didn't know it. :grin:

14. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I will be in Austin in a few weeks during the week and would really like to stop by Frankin's. This was asked earlier but I wasn't sure on the answer. On say a Monday or Tuesday is the line still super long? I can probably fit an hour wait or so but a whole lot more will get in the way of the burden of having to play golf.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd bribe your caddy to stand 2-3 hrs in line for you.

16. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Ouch, still that bad of a line on a weekday then? I'd be more likely to manage that wait if I was in town with friends rather than meeting up with my parents.

I guess another question would be are you limited by how much you can order. Just a meal worth or can you order a few pounds of something?

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I was there on a Thursday. The line time is a legit 2 to 2:30 hours. I think they're closed Mondays.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You can preorder whole briskets and racks of ribs.

19. heypartner

Brisket or golf

First world problems

20. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Gentlemen - do yourself a favor and pay a visit to Killen's Steakhouse in Pearland on Saturdays and Sundays from 11 - 2 (or until they run out). Ronnie Killen has his "BBQ Pop Up" restaurant open and is serving Brisket (lean and moist), Ribs (pork and beef) and sausage.

IMO....best brisket I've ever had in my life. Incredible.

His beef ribs won awards at the rodeo this year...and they are amazing.

I prefer the sausage at Smitty's in Lockhart, mainly because you can get spicy. But, the sausage at Killen's is pretty good too.