1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I had a question about Franklin's. I was planning on heading up there during the week. Is there still a long line on like a Wednesday or Thursday? Do I need cash?

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I was in Luling, TX today and ate at City Market. Wow, great brisket! Liked the sauce, too

Kinda creepy going into their pit "chamber room" in the back, though

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I went there on a weekend, so I'm not sure about weekdays, but I believe when I went, I used a credit card.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If anybody's in the DFW area, head up to Frisco and check out the new 3 Stacks Smoke & Tap House. Best BBQ I've had in the DFW area. The ribs were awesome and the brisket was pretty damn good. They also have beef ribs.

The pitmaster is Trace Arnold aka, "The Rib Whisperer" off of History Channel's show "Cross-Country Cookout".

http://www.3stacksbbq.com/

5. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Been there twice, one of these days I will try something else but I always get the ribs. May be a sliced beef to go.

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

City market is fantastic. Twas a regular stop way back when in my SWT days.

7. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Have you been to Pecan Lodge at the Dallas Farmer's market? The brisket is amazing. The only complaint is that it's EXPENSIVE...and you have to get there at 10 in the morning to stand in line.

http://www.pecanlodge.com/

If you get there too late, just head over to the Old World Sausage Company and get a polish or itlaian beef. Regardless, forget the dessert offerings at either place and get a cake from Ain't No Mo' Butter Cakes next door.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Went to Saltlick BBQ in Driftwood, Tx this past weekend...Eh...The atmosphere is good, live music, BYOB...

I tried the ribs, chicken, brisket, sausage and turkey...The Ribs were very good, oh and the cobbler was legit...other stuff, wasn't blown away, I was hoping their brisket was awesome and it wasn't...

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yes, lines are still long. no, don't need cash

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've always wanted to try Pecan Lodge since it's considered by many to be the best bbq in the DFW area, but for some reason, I never go. I really need to make some time to head down to the farmers market and try it out. Getting there at 10 is no problem. I drove from DFW to Lexington to get there at 6am and beat the rush for Snow's BBQ. lol. :)

BTW, 3 Stacks Smoke & Tap House is kinda pricey, too.

11. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Latest BBQ restaurant visits/reviews:
    Pappa's BBQ - unimpressed
    Red River BBQ (League City) - Terrible
    Charlie Virgo's Rendezvous (Memphis) - Amazing ribs!

12. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Rendezvous is legit.

I like Neeley's also.

13. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Pecan Lodge is amazing. The brisket is up there with Snows, but the line is insane if you're not there early. Living up in Dallas the past couple of years, and I agree that Lockhart and Pecan Lodge are the best in town. Snows is still my all time #1.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I drove up to Memphis a couple of years ago to check out Charlie Vergos' ribs. The spices and sauce were great, but the ribs weren't really bbq'd and were overcooked/kind of tough. They "steam"/cook them in a brick oven from what I remember. It was a pretty big disappointment after all the hype. I'll take Franklin or 3 Stacks ribs over Vergos any day. I'll probably be heading up there again sometime this year and may stop off at Vergos to give them a 2nd shot.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Try 3 Stacks Smoke & Tap House. Especially if you like ribs. I tried Lockhart about 3 times and each time, the brisket tasted different. The first time it was almost as good as anything I've tried in Central Texas, the next couple of times, it wasn't as great. They seem to be inconsistent. Maybe they've got it down now that they've been around a while.

1 person likes this.
  16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I can now confirm the long ass wait at Franklin. Went up there yesterday, got there at about 10:20 and got served at about 12:45. Huge ass line already when we showed up, fortunately I brought a chair. It was definitely the most tender brisket I've ever had. The ribs were also good but they had some type of rub on the outside that was surprisingly a little spicy. The folks there are incredibly nice and friendly. I was talking to the guy at the counter and he says they make between 900 and 1200 pounds of brisket daily and they sell out by 2:30. Apparently they've never had a day when they haven't sold out. At $16 a pound they must be hugely profitable.

17. updawg

updawg Member

It's good stuff. Try John mueller next time for a shorter wait and great stuff. Beef rib is amazing.

18. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Thanks for the tip! Will try that out for my next bbq craving. Lockhart definitely has some consistency issues. Sometimes when I go there the food is out of this world, and others its eh, pretty good.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Where did he move to?

20. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Tried 3 Stacks for lunch yesterday. Brisket was good (not enough smoke and a little tough), but the sausage was excellent. Sides were really good as well. It'll be the new go-to when I don't wanna drive downtown and wait an hour and a half.