1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oh, I just remembered - Pecan Lodge BBQ gets good reviews, but I've never been. When I went to Franklin BBQ and talked with Aaron, he asked about it and said something like it was one of his favorites.

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Hate to bump an old thread, but...........

I just checked out It's Ribs for lunch today. The place is located on Jones Rd. just north of FM 1960.

In a word....incredible.

They are one of the few BBQ places around that still serve beef back ribs. I ordered a beef back rib plate. Cost $8.95. They brought me a plate with three huge Fred Flintstone size beef back ribs, and two sides (green beans and mac & cheese). The rib meat was falling off the bone. The sides were excellent.

If you are in the area, go check this place out. I will definitely be back.

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I work very close from there. I will check it out with my co-workers tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

4. RocketMan Tex

It's really good. They also serve chicken & sausage gumbo (which I heard was really good too) and they open at 7AM and serve breakfast tacos.

Let me know whatchya think!

5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Went today, got the beef ribs. It was decent, definitely good portions. I think I still prefer Rudy's though.

6. RocketMan Tex

That's cool. I got kinda burnt out on Rudy's, but it still delivers the goods.

You can never have too many good BBQ joints to choose from.... :grin:

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Beef ribs is just wrong. Not a fan at all. 5th generation Texan so I have pull.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. RocketMan Tex

Pull this porky! :grin:

10. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

11. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

What's the best BBQ in the Austin area?

I keep hearing about Salt Lick but I'm not sure I want to wait 2 hours to get my food. Any other places that are just as good?

12. updawg

updawg Member

Salt lick round rock sucks
    Salk lick in driftwood is ok and has a good atmosphere

Franklins and muellers are the best but they are sold out by now. Get there early

13. updawg

updawg Member

You got me thinking about BBQ do I was thinking about muellers for Sunday but I don't think he will be open. He had some sort of emergency.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

didn't you just have BBQ on the 4th? i know i did and am BBQ-ed out. it wasn't good BBQ, though, unless you count "Red Hot & Blue" good BBQ. It was okay at best and nothing compared to Lockhart or that other BBQ I'm sure.

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Franklin's is considered the best, but you have to line up early in the morning if you want any chance of getting some. I still haven't braved it.

I am LOVING Stiles & Switch. It's often mentioned with the bests in Austin, and I think it's phenomenal. It's on the north side. The beef ribs are just ridiculous. Just be careful when ordering them, because they charge by the weight and some of them are massive. I once made the mistake of saying I want "2 ribs" and they cost $18 :eek:. Each one was enough for a meal though.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

And it's right across from the yellow rose

17. updawg

updawg Member

Didn't have any on the fourth. Was busy fixing crap the home buyers want done and packing. Did go to a little grill out party and got drunk

18. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I've never waited for hours at Salt Lick, guess I just go at the right time. Don't listen to some people... Salt Lick is good, there are just some bbq snobs on here. There are better places, but it beats the hell outta 99% of what we have in Houston.

I've tried to go to Franklins a couple times, but never works out. I hear it's the best in Austin.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

There's only a wait like that if there's a football game. Go to rudy's and get the extra moist.

20. False

False Member

Franklin's is amazing, way better than Salt Lick. Salt-Lick does have better sides, though - if that is your thing. Franklin's is also IMO better than Luling and Lockhart BBQ. Unfortunately, no matter what time you arrive and jump in line, you will likely have to wait 2 hours to get food and if you can't show up before 12:30 you will be unlikely to get food. It's not really something you can try to eat without some prior planning. Still, even with the wait I'd highly recommend it if you ever find yourself in Austin with a couple of free hours for lunch.