1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I won't stand in line for 2 - 3 hours for food. I would and have for concert tickets. Got to draw the line somewhere. I'm sure the BBQ is great and all. But, to hell with it. I might pay for somebody to do it, though, and bring me the food. lol

Speaking of lines, I went to renew my driver's license yesterday and I couldn't believe how organized the process was this time around. Appointments, chairs spaced out, computer station check-in, and plenty of numbered worker stations. I was in and out in 20 minutes. The last time I renewed my driver's license...the line was out the door and then some. It was so frustrating and slow. It was all just show up and get in line. By the time I got up there (before) and got my picture taken, I couldn't muster a smile so my photo was of me pissed off. This time I was so happy. I guess I have to thank Covid for those changes? Nice job they did. Oh my Gawd...IT'S RAINING OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW! IT'S A MIRACLE! YES SIR!

[​IMG]

#2081 Surfguy, Aug 10, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    jiggyfly and basso like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. Roscoe Arbuckle

North Texas? Pfft.

#2 in Texas Monthly.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

Goldees is #1. haven't tried it. but will try.
    But the new ratings are politically biased, for example no way Leroy and Lewis is better than Franklin.

I went to interstellar the day it opened, thought it was very good, but not #2
    I go to truth bbq also, thought it was great, #3, maybe
    @Dr of Dunk

I actually think Corkscrew is about the same as Truth

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Have you been there ? I’m going pretty soon

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Good video.

My brother and I will add this onto our next Texas bbq road trip when we make it back over.

Having my own custom built 24 inch offset, I know the work that goes into a single cook. But I didn't realise just how much work goes into running a place like this.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

One of things about BBQ... for me... I don't wake up and think yeah, I want BBQ right now. But by the time dinner comes around I might want it. But all the good BBQ sells out or closes by 4pm. What if I want FRESH bbq late-night? It's almost like some sort of implied discrimination against people that aren't interested in eating 3lbs of meat at 2pm.

jiggyfly and basso like this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

A few places in the H that has 'late night' bbq.
    Feges in Spring Branch, and of course you know Rudy's, but you got to drive to 290 near highway 6

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

[​IMG]

jiggyfly and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

it might be the 290 and the sam houston tollway
    i get those confused

12. Buck Turgidson

Buy it, wrap it in paper, leave it on the counter, heat and eat later (never put in fridge)

Don't act like some sort of aggy innerloop BBQ judge, just eat the s**t, it'll be good.

If you want FRESH off the pit BBQ in the middle of the night cook it your damn self (or friend cook) and time it for your meal, there's no other option, you know this already.

jiggyfly and Ziggy like this.
  13. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

In their Instagram story on Monday or Tuesday, they did a Q&A and indicated that they looking to expand to Houston soon. That would make it a huge rival to Truth.

tinman likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Eaker BBQ in Fredericksburg is a place to hit up.

Brisket is very black peppery, but cooked properly. (don't get end pieces unless you really, really like black pepper). I've got a half pound of it left and 2 regular pork ribs, so I'll see how it works as leftovers tomorrow afternoon, or morning or 2 hours from now.

The owner's wife is Korean, so there's some interesting stuff on the menu (along with the regular stuff) for a bbq place. Gochujang pork ribs are incredible (I'd eaten them before, but this was my 1st time to actually eat at the restaurant). Eat them there, fresh and hot, do not get them to-go, they don't travel and reheat well.

Korean marinated cucumber salad, kimchi fried rice, mac/cheese, borracho beans were all great as sides.

The Daily and Weekend Specials sounded great, and the kitchen staff highly recommended a few of them (chicken fried steak Friday, and loaded pulled pork fries everyday, and something else I can't remember).

Solid local beer selection.

Will eat again.

https://www.eakerbarbecue.com/

basso likes this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

@Ziggy
    downtown H-Town

little hidden gem and new, nobody knows about it yet

heypartner and Ziggy like this.
  16. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sounds great; was the Gochujang used as a sauce on the ribs?

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nah. I've only gone to the new Hurtado's location in Little Elm recently as far as BBQ is concerned. It was "meh". I may head out and try Goldee's in the next few months. I keep my BBQ intake a bit lower nowadays. If you're out by Goldee's (#1 on Texas Monthly's list), you may want to also check out Panther City BBQ (#10 on Texas Monthly) which is only about 10-15 miles from it or try Heim BBQ which is probably 15 miles from it. Heim is known for for supposedly being where "bacon burnt ends" were "invented". If you really are into going into a BBQ coma and don't mind another 40 mile or so drive, Cattleack BBQ was #6 on the list, but they have really whacky hours and sell out quick. Then there's Terry Black's and Pecan Lodge right around the corner from each other near Downtown Dallas that are both pretty good (I thought Terry Black's was better and Pecan Lodge was a bit overrated). There are tons of great BBQ places around DFW now, so much so, I haven't even tried any of the 3 in the current Texas Monthly Top 10.

tinman likes this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

Been to Pecan and the Terry Blacks in Austin
    I’ll go to 2 places
    Don’t want to die of a coronary

basso likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, they smoke them (different spice rub) then add the sauce toward the end, then right before they cut your order they take a torch and slightly caramelize the gochujang.

basso likes this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

I tried interstellar, truth . Interstellar i tried when it first opened along time ago. Thought it was good but not that memorable. Need to try again .
    Truth is great , but brisket at Franklin is still king . Really want to try Goldees since it’s a bunch of ex bbq workers from Franklin, micklewait etc

King1 and basso like this.