1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because of events like this,
    Makes me want to finally go to Snows
    Pit masters don’t live forever

Deckard and Two Sandwiches like this.
  2. tinman

Supporting Member

Also like the Latino angle of pit room. I get the fresh tortillas and elote.
    Can’t get Franklin or Snows on the regular

rhino17 likes this.
  3. Roscoe Arbuckle

Pit Room has my favorite Elote, and the BBQ is decent.
    Goode Co. has the best fowl BBQ.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If Tootsie's got the time, she'll talk with you and take a pic. Not sure how busy she is nowadays, but she's awesome, and a freakin' beast of a worker. She's gotta be in her mid 80's by now.

Buck Turgidson and tinman like this.
  5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Agreed. I enjoy the pickle bar as well

tinman likes this.
  6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Pickle bar?

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

I want to check out Snows....how bad is the line these days?

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Who knows ? They are open one day a week. Who lives anywhere close to Lexington ?

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Finally tried Blood Bros last month. Failed to live up the hype IMHO. Tried a bunch of stuff including some specialty items and wasn’t worth the wait.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I saw a post on Reddit a while back where somebody went there in February. They got there around 6:30 in the morning and was around 190 in line or something. LOL. They posted that after about 200-something, they run out of meat. Keep in mind this was almost a year ago, so I don't know what it's like now. Call them up and ask. You probably should take a chair (or a mattress... lol), though. And with holidays, it's probably even more packed, if they're open.

When I went there a few years ago, I was the first person there, but I got there around 6am after driving from the DFW area. I drove around and came back about half an hour later and don't remember much of a line. But even back then, I think I remember people saying they would run out by 11am (?).

One thing I learned a few months ago was that they had come to a deal to sell Snow's before its huge popularity. About a week before the sale was supposed to happen, the buyers decided to pull out of the deal. Then the Texas Monthly article came out the following week and they blew up. Talk about fate/luck. :D

Sajan likes this.
  11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was severely underwhelmed by Loro when it first opened and haven't been back. Maybe they've worked out the kinks.

12. SuraGotMadHops

It's a long long long long line. In my opinion, the food itself (and no food really), is worth driving 2.5 hours to get there then waiting another 5 hours to eat. BUT, I did do it and it was a really fun experience, it's something to do once.

Back in April, I drove there from Houston and met up with my buddy from DFW there at 5am. We were 118 and 119 in line. We got our food by about 10:30 (they still had all items), and our time there was done by about 11. We had lawn chairs and umbrellas - it happened to be pouring rain that morning, and I also brought my dog with me. We met some fun people while waiting in line, they had a free beer and mimosa bar while you wait, and it was nice activity to use to spend time with and catch up with my friend. We also brought our own coolers with beer to drink on while we waited. It's almost like a tailgate atmosphere where the rules allow for drinking early in the morning.

It was cool to see Tootsie doing her work. It's not a gimmick, she really is there working her ass off and she really does make all the meat, with just a couple of helpers. There was a tall guy in a hoodie that I think is starting to take over most of the brisket duty.

Overall, I say go for it. Take some friends and have some fun with it.

Deckard, tinman and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. Sajan

Sajan Member

Man like you said....I don't know if any food is worth waiting 5 hours for....plus the drive there from Houston...

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Buddy and I have been talking about doing it sometime soon. We recognize that we'll have to be there extremely early. Gotta do it once before Tootsie kicks it.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Pickles totally **** up the flavor of your bbq.

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

FEGES is my fav spot now in Houston. Good sh**

arkoe and tinman like this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

Not a real bbq place but the Austin location is extremely popular. It’s fusion but there’s brisket

18. tinman

Supporting Member

It depends on how you value the experience and the bbq not just the bbq
    It’s not something you are suppose to do every day or week

19. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

On the topic of fusion-y bbq, what are your thoughts on SLAB?

20. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

seem like everywhere brisket price skyrocketing big time?

tinman likes this.