1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Welcome to the conference, children.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They had a trivia question during the game. Which SEC school's 3 last starting QB's were in the NFL. I already forgot the answer but aren't Texas A&M's previous 3 starting QB's in the NFL? McGee, Johnson, Tannehill.

And Menziel or whatever reminds of McGee, he doesn't look downfield. What was up with that? Playcalling or does the guy not look downfield?

3. Major

Major Member

Did Mizzou have any starting QBs between Brad Smith and Chase Daniel and Blaine Gabbart? I believe all of them are in the NFL.

He was a freshman making his first start - the playcalling probably is designed to make his life a bit easier at first.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think someone might have slipped in after Smith but I'm not sure. I realize you want to baby a freshman but you're not going to win many games in the SEC that way with our level of talent.

5. Major

Major Member

Certainly true - but they got pretty close playing it that way yesterday. They didn't punt the whole first half, but I didn't pay much attention to the 2nd half to know if they were letting him loose more, or if Florida figured A&M out.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Looked like they figured it out to me. The camera angle was done in such a way that I couldn't tell what the routes were looking like. There were a few long passing situations where it looked like we only had 3 guys running routes though. Also, he kept hitting rookie WR's, I imagine Muschamp had NFL caliber DB's on Swope.

7. updawg

updawg Member

the answer was Missouri not A&M. I don't think Johnson is still around the NFL

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh. I thought Alabama or Georgia or something had 3? Croyle isn't in the league? Anyways, I thought I saw Johnson playing this preseason. Oh well.

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

He was cut by the Steelers IIRC in the final round of cuts - wasn't signed to the practice squad.

10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Didn't realize it, but McGee was cut as well.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

I thought the Aggies looked amazing in the first half, but they forget to come out for the second half. As I predicted, I think this is going to be a long season for the maroon.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not many sane Aggies were thinking big things in year 1. What Sumlin does in that Maroon helicopter is what matters right now. We need recruits.

13. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I'm not as down on them as I thought I would be. I think Manziel looked pretty good for a guy making his first start against a solid D. Now if we don't start throwing some passes downfield in future games, I'll be a little pissed. I'm hoping the O was designed that way to get Johnny Football some confidence.

I was kind of surprised we had 8 sacks in the game, but I think it was more of their QB not knowing when to throw the ball away.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I was very impressed with Manziel.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This season is all about being dynamic and exciting. Winning games is secondary. Like Ziggy said, Sumlin needs to blaze that recruiting trail in maroon and white. Manziel looks like he could be something special once he gets some more experience. I don't think anyone can knock the Aggies for their performance on Saturday. Even though we lost, it was a nice way to start our SEC journey.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Strangely found myself pulling for them.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yep and that big freshmen WR

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I can't bring myself to root for ATM yet. If they do well, I would never hear the end of it from my Aggie buddies. Maybe next year.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, it'd be like UH fans last year except with nukes instead of pee shooters.

20. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I thought that Johnny should have looked more for the open receiver. I think he could develop into a really good QB, but he is going to have to pass as well as run. He did not embarrass himself, but he was not the type of playmaker he needs to be.