1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M at Texas Tech

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Maynard, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Maynard

Maynard Member

[​IMG]

as Pitt showed last week, A&M's pass defense is suspect at best..

A&M has no chance at stopping Symons

I don't think A&M's offense is capable of keeping pace even though Tech's defense is poor as well..

A&M 20
    TTU 42

and Tech is only favored by 5 pts! wtf? Tech has consistantly beaten A&M over the past 10 years even when A&M has had a better team...no respect for Tech..at least Symon's is starting to show up on a few people's Heisman watch lists...

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

A&M...

watch as they fade away.

:)

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Looks like another one for the clash of the titans archive.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

A&M better run the ball, eat up clock, and keep BJ and company off the field. If they try to win a shootout (like UT did last year), it's over.

Tech 49
    A&M 38

Of course Tech will tear down the goalpost and throw it at Aggie fans...mele will ensue...just another Tech/A&M game in Lubbock. :D

5. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

It's a tradition. :)

6. Maynard

Maynard Member

of course

I was there in '95 when Tech beat A&M, Zach Thomas had that interception run back for a TD to win it

that was absolutely the most crazy celebration I have ever seen

7. Matador

Matador Member

Maynard although Texas Tech has beaten a n m on a consistent basis the games have always been close. So the spread does not seem too far off. I am ready for Tech to beat the aggie snot out of them one time though. A 30 point rout would be outstanding.

8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

pssh...A&M fading away? Maybe the past couple of years, but they're definitely in the early stages of turning things around.

That said, I don't think there's a chance in hell the Ags win this game.

9. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Cant wait till Saturday night. This will be my first atm tech game to attend so I'm curious to see what all the fuss is about. Last year Tech fans gave UT fans a tough time so I cant imagine what some guys will say to the Aggies. Dont bring your kids :) But seriously I hope Tech fans and aggie fans can act their age, no fighting I hope

The game itself is going to be a shootout. If aTm can control the clock they win this easily, but the thing is Techs defense is so bad that its going to be hard for aTM to control the clock. I say Tech wins just b/c of the homefield advantage. And I say BJ will throw for around 520 and 6 TD's.

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The horror!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. tozai

tozai Member

Beware of the Gap kid...

I still think it's hilarious how most of those were probably middle-schoolers.

12. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Notice the bowl haircut on that tool at the bottom. Those dont even look like Tech students. Hell one of them is wearing a Harry Potter T shirt for chrissake.....

A&M blows by the way.....

Tech 41
    A&M 23

13. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Tech in a landslide.

14. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

I get all sorts of grief from my parents and my uncle cuz I'm not a Red Raider, but I'm up for anybody kickin the crap outta A&M.
    Shoot 'em up raiders! YEE HAW!

15. haven

haven Member

Raiders kick Aggy butt. TAMU has a mediocre offense and a bad defense.

I think it will get better for TAMU under Franchione (though not as good as some think), but this team is very young... and not really all that good.

If I had to guess, I'd say 42-28, with TAMU making up ground late in the game.

16. Maynard

Maynard Member

Symons hands off little in Texas Tech's airborne attack
    By NEIL HOHLFELD
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

Back in early August, before the deluge of yards and touchdowns and accolades, quarterback B.J. Symons sounded like a guy who couldn't wait to fill the biggest shoes in the history of Texas Tech football.

Symons had spent three seasons as the backup to NCAA record-setter Kliff Kingsbury. He had played in only 18 games and thrown 103 passes, mainly late in games already decided.

Symons was untested, but his faith in himself and the Red Raiders offense was so deep that he seemed convinced big things were ahead.

He was wrong.

Gigantic things were ahead.

Two weeks ago, Symons passed for 586 yards in a 49-21 loss to North Carolina State. Last week, he passed for 661 yards and six touchdowns in a 49-45 win over Mississippi.

In four games, he has 1,962 yards passing and 16 touchdowns. He broke the Big 12 passing mark one week and then broke his record the next week. The 661 yards marked the third-highest total in Division I-A history. Symons leads the NCAA in everything except popcorn sales.

So how can you top this? Is it possible for the Red Raiders (3-1) to keep this up? No, says Symons. They can do better.

"We still haven't put a full game together," said Symons, a product of Cypress Creek High School. "Each game we've continued to get better, but we still haven't reached our potential.

"The last game (at Ole Miss), we had four turnovers. If we eliminate those turnovers, we could have more production. We left some points on the table."

That is hardly encouraging news for the Texas A&M secondary, which will try to slow down Symons on Saturday night in Lubbock. Though the Aggies have allowed an average of 162.5 passing yards per game and rank 19th in the nation, they haven't seen anything like the attack of the Red Raiders.

"They are good at what they do," A&M coach Dennis Franchione said. "They believe in what they do. They have a quarterback who everyone wondered how he was going to be, and he looks like he has been back there for three or four years."

Symons seems to be making up for lost time. After Kingsbury passed for 5,017 yards last year, there was understandable doubt Tech could keep the chains moving and scoreboard whirring with an inexperienced quarterback.

There was no doubt, however, in Tech coach Mike Leach's mind. At the Big 12 media days in August, Leach seemed absolutely certain Symons would step in and not miss a beat.

"Any time a quarterback is lost, it's like the sky is falling," Leach said in August. "He (Symons) is not a guy who is new to the deal. He's thrown to these guys for years."

Now that Symons has put up PlayStation-like numbers for four games, Leach admits surprise at how Symons stepped into the spread offense.

"He got warmed up pretty quickly and stepped in pretty quickly," Leach said this week.

Though Symons was always confident he could lead the offense, he has remained humble. As any smart quarterback will, he credits his offensive line and receivers for his success.

"We have the best receivers in the nation from top to bottom," he said. "There are some individuals out there that might be a little better, but there's no better unit in the country. Right along with them is the offensive line."

Last week, receivers Carlos Francis, Wes Welker and Mickey Peters each had more than 100 yards receiving -- a school first.

Symons admits his first four games as a starter have been gratifying.

"I'm not going to lie. It feels good to see," Symons said. "I've waited my time and worked hard to get to this point. ... It was hard not to play for four years. But I think it's made it more sweet."

Sweeter still would be a win over A&M. The Red Raiders last lost to the Aggies in Lubbock in 1993 and are 6-2 against A&M in the last eight meetings.

Ten years ago, Symons leaned more toward being an Aggies fan.

"I remember one time for my birthday, my mom took me and a bunch of my friends in our RV to College Station for an A&M game," Symons said. "Growing up in Houston, I was closer to A&M and Texas than I was to Tech. I had an Aggie hat and a Longhorn hat before I had a Tech hat, but I was never in love with one or the other."

If Symons' hot start continues Saturday night, he expects the crowd to rock SBC Jones Stadium to its foundation.

"This rivalry has really grown up a little bit in the time I've been here," Symons said. "It's going to be rowdy. Our students are going to be cranked, and our fans are going to be cranked."

Without question, Symons will have his arm cranked up, too.

17. Drewdog

Bizump....

2.5 hours till kick off.

For those in Austin who want to watch the game, we will be at Cool River Cafe off Parmer/Mopac tonight around 8:00

peace and love and guns up!

Dd

18. Drewdog

Scratch that.....

Fox & Hound at 4th and Guadalupe....

wreck 'em

19. drapg

drapg Member

I would love to go somewhere in Houston to watch this game.

I've been holed up in my apartment all afternoon and evening watching college football on TV.

I'm actually pretty damn pumped about watching this game!

20. tozai

tozai Member

poor aggy, that was ridiculously easy. If adjustments aren't made, it could get ugly.