1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas 26K Rape-Related Pregnancies in 16 Months

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Feb 29, 2024.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think we can all agree rape is bad.

if rapes are increasing, we'd like to understand why, as a predicate to any policy recommendations.
    pregnancy can be a consequence of rape.

rape is unlikely to be a consequence of SCOTUS decisions.

2. astros123

astros123 Member

How is it possible? Because white boomers @basso overwhelming vote republican aka they're hell bent on destroying America. White boomer Americans will single handily destroy america while claiming they're saving it.

Now that I'm outside of america it really hit me just how backwards and insane so many policies are

3. astros123

astros123 Member

You're finally waking up to what I've been saying on these forums for months. You're finally getting it just how extreme and insane the right has become.

Congratulations buddy. Don't let them gaslight you

dobro1229 likes this.
  4. astros123

astros123 Member

The overall point is men have zero business forcing women who have been raped to carry babies. This isn't rocket science and other developed countries ban it.

Just amazing how out of touch folks are with reality in other countries

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Rape and rape-related pregnancies are unfortunately common issues, and no one disputes their prevalence, although it might be surprising to some. It is not an issue that was legislated into effect. So yes, it wasn't pretty, but now it's much worse. Hey, if someone is raped and becomes pregnant, a situation that affects tens of thousands of girls and women each year, insisting on carrying it to term is barbaric. This is an issue that is singularly legislated into effect, something we can legislate out.

Focusing on an issue that most of us, unfortunately, can't solve through legislation, while deliberately setting aside or ignoring an issue that we can solve through legislation, is like, at best, ignoring the leaves that can be picked while trying to change the climate that produces those leaves. At worst, it's a purposeful and dishonest political deflection to maintain an ideological view.

rocketsjudoka and astros123 like this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm still mostly asleep. This is pretty simple, and I'm not sure why @basso got so riled up. Maybe the truth nerve is painful.

"Disregard for rape victims" is a lack of consideration, empathy, or attention given to the well-being, rights, or struggles of individuals who have experienced rape. Forcing a rape victim to carry to term is absolutely a disregard for rape victims.

deb4rockets and astros123 like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You'll get no argument how heinous that is from me, but if I'm reading that there are 26k pregnancies from rape in Texas alone, I can extrapolate something more heinous and disturbing, that there's a rape epidemic no politician has bothered to tackle or grasp on a societal and enforcement level.

We shouldn't have to tack on second order consequences from abortion prohibition to gloss over how much we've given up on criminalizing and enforcing rapes.

Maybe some failures in our political system is needed to shock complacent voters into demanding more protections.

We act like republicans are all white and fat males driving around Walmart in their scooters watching fox news streams on their phones. The amount of republican women who support or enable this crap beggars all belief.

basso likes this.
  8. astros123

astros123 Member

Did you read the story I posted above? If you are a crazy male and you're obsessed over some female and you know she'll be forced to carry to term your chances of committing rape are higher than the latter.

The guy who raped the teenager is given partial custody while serving a short term prison sentence. What does this project to other crazy men who are thinking of doing the same? They're going make the calculation and alot of them think the it's worth the punishment.

No other developed country does this but except usa. Poland which is super right wing banned abortion yet they have allow raped females to abort.

@basso and these right wing boomers gaslight you folks into thinking the democratic party is the crazy one when anyone with a half brain can see how effin insane the Republicans have become.

It's disgusting

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I doubt republicans want that convicted rapist to have any rights and privileges. It's usually libs who advocate for excons to have a second or third or fourth chance. I'll prob check out the details of that case because its ****ing insane.

Anyhow, finger pointing at the other side's half-wittedness is a big reason why Americans are paralyzed with problems we've known about for decades. We demonize each other and let "innocent looking white males with their futures ahead of them" rape scott free.

Ofc minorities or those mean and sneaky illegals are the real problem behind rape statistics...

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Gee, can I be on that list?

astros123 likes this.
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The article is stupid. I think @Space Ghost wasn't clear about his objection to the article.

It suggests more women are getting pregnant because of rape since Roe is Wade being overturned

Iit should have just studied how many rapes end in pregnancy. Space Ghost is right about it using these women to argue against abortion

He should be more stand-up about whether he believes that a woman in that situation should be allowed to have abortion instead of hiding behind the stupidity of the article. But he is right about it really doesn't matter

This happens in this forum all the time. The article is clear in it's stupidity but because you guys support abortion rights you guys are missing it.

Edit: no reason to tie these pregnancies to abortion rights. @basso made a good point, if you want to tie it to abortion, do a study on how many more births there are

#111 pgabriel, Mar 3, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    basso likes this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@Space Ghost

I understand your point about the article using these women to argue against abortion Ibut I don't think that it's an indication of society/law not caring about rape.

The article is just stupid, and rape doesn't make the news unless it involves famous people but ad a society we have progressed a long way on protecting women in terms of sexual assault

basso likes this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This thread should be used as a study on bias in political and social view in this forum in particular but just in general

I don't think Space Ghost was clear about his objection to the article , but does anyone think more women are getting pregnant because of rape since the ruling?

That's what the article is clearly suggesting but because of your views about abortion you're just thinking about the women not being able to get an abortion in Texas and just went off on Space Ghost instead of analyzing the point of the article and his point

I think I'm less qualified to debate a lot of you guys than I used to be, a recent realization about myself that has decreased my posting but I think a lot of you are way more influenced negatively by your overall views when analyzing topics than you realize

basso likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I believe this thread does reflects bias pretty clearly.

The articles and the study explicitly stated that they did not analyze trends. Consequently, it remains uncertain whether there was an increase or decrease since Roe was overturned. The reader, however, injected their own bias by interpreting the article as suggesting an increase.

An examination of the study's methodology reveals that the estimate is derived from data spanning both the pre-Roe overturned (2016-2017, 2019) and post-Roe overturned periods. The study doesn't aim to depict a trend but rather focuses on volume.

The relationship to the court ruling is that many individuals are now forced to carry to term. The study simply demonstrate "there are a lot of pregnancies that occur after rapes in states where there are abortion bans" (due to Roe being overturned) and "the precise estimate is much less important... than the fact that the number is large".

EDIT: To answer your question, it's very weird to think there are more rape-related pregnancies since Roe was overturned. What's not weird is thinking more individuals are carrying them to term due to laws that now force them to do so.

#114 Amiga, Mar 3, 2024
    Xopher likes this.
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If the study isn't implying the abortion ban isnt a cause, of an increase ⁸why are they gathering the data?

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It highlights that tens of thousands of girls and women, pregnant due to rape each year, are now mandated to carry to term as per state legislative decree.

EDIT: You mentioned "an increase" when we don't know if there was an actual rise or fall, and there's no reasonable basis to link the rate of rape-related pregnancies to the ruling; there's simply a large number of them.

#116 Amiga, Mar 3, 2024
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why is it starting after the ban?

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure I understand your question. Please rephrase.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why is the study starting with pregnancies after the ban? Was that just a random starting point?

basso likes this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

These rapists are doing god's work, creating 26000 new lives. Conservatives believe rape is good and godly as it helps create new babies!