1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas 26K Rape-Related Pregnancies in 16 Months

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Feb 29, 2024.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think it's a mix of both. Transporting across state lines to avoid local regulations.

https://ago.mo.gov/attorney-general...to-obtain-abortions-without-parental-consent/

Today, Missouri Attorney General Andrew Bailey filed suit against Planned Parenthood Great Plains for trafficking minors out of state to obtain abortions without parental consent. He is seeking a court order to block the clinic from subjecting children to such treatment.

2. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Who said anything about force? You said , and I quote "I would take them to another state"

I am just making sure you understood the question or if I interpreted your answer incorrectly; in that you would take them to another state if the current state ALLOWED abortion of a rapist's fetus.

Edit: I see "force" came from Deb's original question. She used that in the terms that women, in Texas, are forced to carry their rapist's fetus. She was asking if you would be okay with the state doing that. Now if your child was a minor you and her mother would have that decision. So yes you could FORCE your child to have her rapist's child. You said you would take them to another state if the current state ALLOWED for abortion in that situation.

#62 Xopher, Feb 29, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Maybe @astros123 was on to something, you can't be married/kids/whatever because you sound like a b****. You have to be hell to deal with day to day in real life but I assume this façade is not really you...at least I hope not for your sake.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I would move my family to a better situation, if possible, if they were in dire conditions. I certainly wouldn't keep them in a place that further made them a victim.
    If my wife needed a service that was prohibited, such as a needed abortion, I would move them.

Xopher likes this.
  5. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

That's fine. Then you misunderstood Deb's question.

6. Space Ghost

I'm not sure what this accomplishes other than preventing abortion trafficking and holding traffickers accountable.

I think much of this comes down to state traffic laws. They very well could have jurisdiction on country roads. Texas has way too many antiquated laws on its books. One of the reasons I don't like Texas.

Under no circumstances should people be trafficking minors, especially over state lines.

7. astros123

astros123 Member

I sincerely don't understand @Space Ghost . Sometimes he has good takes while other times he sounds exactly like @Commodore . I sincerely don't understand the man or what his values are.

Space Ghost likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

This is truly the most bizarre response ever.

deb4rockets and astros123 like this.
  9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was a simple question. I just couldn't tell if you agreed or didn't on these type laws being pushed.

10. NewRoxFan

What the hell is an "abortion trafficker?" What right wing wacko manufactured phrase did you come up with?

11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's why I wish the majority would just vote out these GOP leaders. People shouldn't have to move because the laws being pushed in their states are so horrible. It sickens me that pukes that are hypocritic pigs like Trump, Paxton, Cruz, MTG, Boebert, Gaetz, Jordan, and the rest get any support at all. That goes double for Christian groups supporting them.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not clear what you’re saying here. First you’re saying such laws don’t exist and that it’s alarmism now you’re saying such laws are there to stop trafficking?

Do you acknowledge these laws exist and are you for or against these laws?

13. Space Ghost

There are two separate conversations going on here.

Those who fear The State can prosecute one of its residence for having a legal abortion. This is Orwellian fear mongering nonsense, and as I stated, The State does not own its residences. People need to stop spreading extremist garbage, such as The State executing a woman for having an abortion. This isn't Iran.

The examples you provided is something completely different. You're wanting to argue something on merit. I put this right up there with this growing trend of self sovereign/US National nonsense and their belief they are exempt from state laws. I don't know anything about Texas law to determine if these laws are constitutional ... and I really don't care. That said, the self sovereign people claim the State does not have authorization to detain and interrogate citizens when they are in the process of transporting their personal goods....and they recognize that if a person is transporting in the state of commerce (as a registered entity of the State), local laws do have jurisdiction. Clearly nobody here knows what specifically the law states and how it relates to the laws in Texas.

And any organization transporting minors across state borders w/out parental/state authorization should be charged with kidnapping. We don't start bending the law for moral justification.

14. NewRoxFan

So much wrong with this effort to backpedal his insane posts. Thanks to trump/maga supreme court... the states themselves can determine what are legal and illegal abortions. Texas went as far as allowing private citizens to sue abortion providers and anyone else that helps someone get an abortion. And as you have already been shown, some states, counties and cities are going as far as to criminalize anyone that travels to a different state to get an abortion.

And now you add a "any organization" transporting to justify your insane and offensive "abortion trafficking" claim. The question posed to you... would you (as a *parent*) take your child out of state to get an abortion. You answered yes... are you then a "abortion tracker"?

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed.
    She says she was raped
    He says no he did not
    Lawyer shows baby as exhibit A
    DNA as Exhibit B

Best Case: He is convicted and spends a long time in prison
    Bad Case: He has to pay that child support and literally pay for his crime
    Worse Care: The Rapist somehow gets custody (unlikely)

These things have to be prosecuted. Wasn't there like Thousands of unprocessed Rape kits in Harris County?
    Shouldnt we do something about that

Rocket River

Invisible Fan likes this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Rocket River likes this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think it probably has something to do with the Roads and public transport system
    I am sure that is how they enforced the 21 yr old to drink rule

I do have questions about the 26K number.
    Many seem to think a majority of these women did not report the Rape
    my question is how did they get this number . . .. are these Self Reported rapes
    i.e. she said she was raped so its rape

The hardest and most stifling thing about Rape is
    It is victim defined. (esp for women) (if man says he was raped by a woman . . .everyone side eyes him)
    If a woman says she was raped . . . .generally speaking .. . . There is a large contingent that says she was raped
    The other side requesting evidence is seen as shaming and all around evil do-ery
    It gets worse because. . . men can rape a woman . . and literally not know he did it until she accuses him

They were drinking
    They were smiling and having a good time
    They have sex
    Two days later he is accused of rape because she feels she was too drunk to consent(or what ever reason she desires) (though they were both equally drunk)
    She said it and it must be investigated.
    Whether it is true or not. . . his name is out there and hers is protected
    If it is not true .. . . he does not get an apology or anything really . . . there is no punishment for false allegation

While you guys focus on the abortion I am more concerned about the rapes.
    1. that's alot of f*cking rapes1
    2. I want them all prosecuted

QUESTION: If the law said YOU CAN GET THE ABORTION BUT YOU HAVE TO FULLY ASSIST IN THE PROSECUTION OF YOUR RAPIST!
    Would that be sufficient for both sides?

depressing number
    Rocket River

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The study is behind a paywall. This article explains it a bit but is also behind a paywall. Here is the relevant section.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...ith-a-total-abortion-ban-new-study-estimates/

The researchers obtained their findings by combining data from multiple sources. Because state-level data weren’t available, the team analyzed national data from a U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention survey on intimate partner sexual violence from 2016 to 2017. The researchers also used a Bureau of Justice Statistics survey on criminal victimization. Putting these together, they determined the number of completed vaginal rapes among girls and women of reproductive age—defined as between the ages of 15 and 45 (although some even younger girls and older women are also capable of pregnancy).

The authors generated state-level rape estimates by partitioning the national data according to state-level information from FBI crime reports, which included rapes that were reported to police in 2019. (A high percentage of rapes are never reported to authorities, but the CDC survey attempted to correct for this.) The researchers then calculated the number of state-level rapes that were likely to result in a pregnancy, controlling for the number of months that a total abortion ban was in effect.

The findings suggest that thousands of people who were raped became pregnant in states where abortion was banned. Even in states with exceptions for rape, very few people got an abortion—likely because of fear and intimidation, Dickman speculates. Some pregnant people in states with bans may have traveled out of state to obtain an abortion legally, but some would have needed to travel hundreds of miles—a journey that is impractical or impossible for many people.

The authors acknowledge that their study has some limitations. Their numbers are based on rape data from national surveys that they extrapolated to the state level, based on rates of reported rapes, and the study assumes that these reporting rates are similar among states. Accurate data on rapes and sexual assaults are always hard to obtain because stigma prevents many people from reporting them. As noted, the CDC survey attempted to account for this underreporting in its data, but other sources suggest the rates of rape and sexual assault may be higher or lower, Dickman says.

Rocket River likes this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Step 1: Take national data from a U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention survey on intimate partner sexual violence from 2016 to 2017
    Step 2: Add in Bureau of Justice Statistics survey on criminal victimization
    Step 3: Generate State level data by partitioning the national data according to state-level information from FBI crime reports which included rapes that were reported to police in 2019.
    Step 4: Then calculated the number of state-level rapes that were likely to result in a pregnancy, controlling for the number of months that a total abortion ban was in effect. (THIS IS A LITTLE FUZZY TO ME) -- (That is one interesting calculation based on . . . . what? They didn't say the number of rape pregnancies report and then extrapolated from there about unreported one . . . which I would guess they did)

Limitations: Their numbers are based on rape data from national surveys that they extrapolated to the state level, based on rates of reported rapes, and the study assumes that these reporting rates are similar among states. Accurate data on rapes and sexual assaults are always hard to obtain because stigma prevents many people from reporting them.

Thanks for the information

Rocket River

Amiga likes this.
  20. Space Ghost

The Supreme court ruled correctly, regardless of anyone's opinion on abortion. What you fail to understand is that you are so far left that anytime anyone disagrees with you, your bullshit rhetoric always leads to "blah blah blah MAGA Trump supporters". You seriously should seek help.

No city, state or country is criminalizing people going to other states for abortion. You are fear mongering and spreading false information.

Yes, we have discussed counties passing laws prohibiting people from passing through their jurisdiction for abortions, but they do not have the jurisdiction nor are they trying to criminalize people going to other states. In the mist of you vehemently trying to fear monger and pass misinformation, you ignored the part discussing what the actual law says and whether or not they even have the right.

And then you ask me an incredibly stupid and inappropriate questions on whether or not I would allow my child to have an abortion. Im not going to scroll through 10 thousand 'what if' scenarios to appease your desire to label me something awful and evil. You far left are just as despicable as the far right in the manners of which you vilify people for their personal beliefs.