1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans won't give Carr away.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ryan17wagner, Feb 22, 2007.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

David Carr hasn't avoided many sacks during his five NFL seasons, but so far he's avoided being sacked by the Houston Texans.

Though the Texans haven't given up on the idea of trading Carr, general manager Rick Smith and coach Gary Kubiak gave Carr an endorsement as the Texans' starting quarterback for 2007. Though the endorsements were about as shaky as Carr's pass protection.

"David Carr is our quarterback and frankly, I'm interested in David playing better and performing more consistent and improving our offense," Smith said. "There has been so much rumor and innuendo right after the season. There were some clubs who were curious if, in fact, he was available. So I did take a couple of calls."

Since that time, though, the calls have quieted down. Smith said Carr could be had if the right trade came up, but the market for Carr hasn't developed.

It's been speculated the Texans might be willing to take a third-round choice for Carr, a price that might be considered a bargain for a 27-year-old quarterback taken at the top of the draft just five years ago. But listening to Smith speak Thursday at the scouting combine, a third-round might not be enough.

"I think you improve your team a couple of different ways," Smith said. "you get players on your team to play better and perform better and coach them hard. Or you go out and acquire other players. If we can acquire something in a trade for David that would make sense for us to improve our football team, we will entertain that."

A third-round pick for a team that is coming off a 6-10 season and has a 24-56 record over its five-year history isn't going to lead to any rapid turnarounds. The Texans are tired of losing and so is Carr. But Carr is content to stay in Houston if they want him. He has three years remaining on his contract. Smith has talked to his agent, Michael Sullivan, and Smith said the player and the agent understand the situation in Houston.

The Texans want to win now and are looking to make moves that will make them more competitive in the AFC South. Moving Carr isn't going to net a boatload of draft choices or players, and the Texans clearly need players. If no deal can be made, the team is going to be content to stay with Carr as its starting quarterback.

"That's our approach," Kubiak said of having Carr back as his starter. "We all have to get better. David has to get better. He's part of that. We all have to get a lot better, including this coach right here. And I have to continue working with David. He's the key to our franchise getting better."

One option that seems to be stalled at the moment is a trade for Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer. Plummer, who was close to Kubiak in Denver, has been replaced by Jay Cutler as the starting quarterback. Though Kubiak and Broncos coach Mike Shanahan are close, a Plummer trade doesn't appear to be close to happening.

Smith, in fact, wouldn't talk about Plummer on Thursday because he is property of the Broncos.

"It hasn't quieted down with the media," Smith said of Carr trade rumors. "I only talked to a couple clubs about him. I don't know if there is going to be any interest. The interest is generated more by the media than anything. David is our starting quarterback. We're excited about him playing in his offense."

Around the combine
    • Ohio State wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr. isn't sure when he will be able to run for NFL teams. He just hopes to be able to show his speed before the April draft. Ginn is considered one of the fastest receivers in the draft but he hasn't been timed in the 40 in years. He suffered a sprained foot in Ohio State's BCS title game loss to Florida. "I have a mid-foot sprain," Ginn said. "It's kind of like a high-ankle sprain. It's going to take a lot of rehab and a lot of rest to come right back." Ginn isn't working out at the combine and may not be ready for his Ohio State workout.

• The timing of the Raiders' decision not to pay Aaron Brooks' $5 million roster bonus was interesting. The Raiders are preparing to watch LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell throw at the combine. Andrew Walter is the only quarterback on the roster with experience, so it seems to be a sure thing that Russell will go to the Raiders as the first pick in the draft.

• The Texans don't know whether running back Dominick Williams (formally known as Domanick Davis) will be healthy enough for this season. Williams missed last season with a knee injury. Williams has worked hard to make a comeback, but Smith said there is uncertainty. The more he worked last year, the worse the knee got. "The rehab process is in the strengthening phase," Smith said. "The knee has responded great, but there is still some uncertainty there." Many people around Houston wish Oklahoma halfback Adrian Peterson falls to the No. 8 pick in the draft, but that's unlikely.

• The biggest surprise of the day was the Ravens decision not to franchise linebacker Adalius Thomas, who could be off to Cleveland or San Francisco for big dollars. The Ravens have 10 free agents and could lose a bunch of them. Though they vow to negotiate with their top free agents, the Ravens could lose Thomas, right tackle Tony Pashos, defensive tackle Jarret Johnson, fullback Ovie Mughelli and running back Musa Smith.

• Saints coach Sean Payton doesn't seem to be concerned about the post-season injuries of Drew Brees and Reggie Bush, who were hurt in all-star related games. Brees dislocated his left elbow in the Pro Bowl and Bush sprained an ankle in a celebrity basketball game at the NBA All-Star game. Brees' recovery time is six to eight weeks. Bush is only going to be down a couple of weeks. Payton, in fact, said he is in the process of putting up a basketball court at the team's practice facility because he knows his players are going to play pickup games and he'd rather have them do it on team property.

• The sticker shock of paying the Bears coaching staff is one of the reasons for the slow negotiations on Lovie Smith's contract. The Bears gave special teams coach Dave Taub a three-year contract that averaged around $425,000, a raise of over $100,000 a year. Taub's new salary isn't that much less than what Ron Rivera was making as defensive coordinator. Lovie Smith wants to see his average jump from $1.35 million around $5 million. The entire coaching payroll for the Bears in 2006 was less than $6 million. This one will take time.

• Bills coach Dick Jauron has more than $30 million of cap room. "I do think we will be competitive in the market," Jauron said. But how competitive? The Bills won't be able to compete for the big dollars going to cornerback Nate Clements, considered perhaps the top free agent this year.

• Most people around Indianapolis believe the Redskins will get a quick deal done with Bills middle linebacker London Fletcher. The Redskins were hurt a couple years ago by the loss to middle linebacker Antonio Pierce, who left for the Giants. Fletcher isn't expected to be re-signed by the Bills. The Redskins don't have the cap room to sign Clements, but most believe Fletcher will head off to Washington and reunite with former Bills head coach Gregg Williams, the Redskins defensive coordinator.

• The interesting part of the Redskins' release of safety Troy Vincent is that Vincent requested it. Though it might have been considered a cap move to save the Redskins $1.54 million, Vincent asked to be let go. He wanted to move on to a different team that could offer him more playing time. Vincent is 35.

• Mike Martz made an interesting hire to his offensive coaching staff in Detroit. The Lions offensive coordinator signed his son, Tim, to be an offensive quality control coach.

• Falcons defensive end Patrick Kerney will avoid being franchised by waiting until Friday to put in his papers to void the final two years of his contract. Kerney is giving up a $6.7 million in base salary this year with the Falcons, but he hopes to get more than $7 million a year on the open market. The Broncos might be one of several interested teams.

• Even though Jeff Garcia is a viable candidate to go to Tampa Bay, the bigger money deal could end up in Philadelphia, which would allow him to stay as Donovan McNabb's backup.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/colum...n_john&id=2775871&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos2

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

If they can get a 3rd rounder and a pack of gum, they should take it....at this point, that 3rd rounder has more potential regardless of who it is

3. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

He's the key to our franchise getting better? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Coach Kubiak you lost me right there.

If you really believe that and he is our QB next season, I will assume you are way over your head....

Replacing him is just one of the keys to improving the franchise.

If Carr improved alot, yes we would be better- I've seen enough!

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What is the coach supposed to say about his current starting QB that the team is trying to trade?

"uh, yeah.....we're really unhappy with Carr. He's been a huge dissappointment and we are desperate to trade him for whatever we can get. So make us an offer!!"

I'm thinking that doesn't exactly improve his trade value...

If you're taking his comments at face value, I'm thinking you are the one in way over your head.

5. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2774968

4. Should the Texans take the best QB left on the board with the No. 8 pick?

Schlereth: It depends on whether they decide to sign a free agent quarterback. Jake Plummer is someone they have talked about. David Carr perplexes me. He's not having success, but the caveat is he takes a beating because of his offensive line. You have to wonder if he had a good offensive line, combined with a running game, would Carr be able to lead a team. Would I take Brady Quinn if he was still on the board? Certainly, but Houston is more than a quarterback away from being a good team.

Theismann: No, because I don't think the best QB on the board will be what the Texans need. Houston messed up by not taking Reggie Bush last year -- anytime you can get a player who puts points on the board, you have to take him. So the Texans need to get this one right. If they are going to follow the same philosophy as last year and build a foundation for the future, the Texans should take an offensive lineman. Running back is another position that needs to be addressed.

I believe in David Carr. He had a really solid year in 2006. He just needs to grow up and be a professional. He needs to come out and be a leader of this team -- on and off the field -- and not some 27-year-old who just fell off a surfboard. He has all the physical skills to be a solid QB.

If the Texans draft a QB, they will be taking a couple of steps backwards because rookie quarterbacks don't have a lot of success right away. That much is proven.

Salisbury: That would only be one QB, Brady Quinn (JaMarcus Russell will be gone by then). My question is this: Aren't you starting over if you do that? David Carr led the NFL in completion percentage last season (68.3), his first year in Gary Kubiak's system. Remember, he's been sacked 249 times in his five-year career. Give me a good offensive line and I can win with Carr as my QB. We wouldn't be having this conversation if Houston drafted Reggie Bush last year. I like Quinn, but Houston needs to spend its energy in places other than quarterback, because Carr isn't the biggest problem on this team. How about protecting him?

6. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

He's supposed to say that David needs to improve. We all agree upon that.

To me the comment indicates hope. I don't have that and I would like for Coach Kubiak to move on... Don't try one more season to try to bring out the best in Carr. He might do it and that wouldn't hurt my feelings, but I am always bothered when people like Casserly act like they know what they are doing when it is OBVIOUS they don't- and I don't want Kubiak to fall into that category... I have very high hopes for Kubiak, but it is OBVIOUS Carr is not the future of this franchise.

EDIT- I guess I am just tired.. tired of the whole first four years of Casserly blunders and tired of Carr misreading coverage, freaking out in the pocket, locking on his first read, fumbling the ball and dumping off 3 yd passes while his completion % rates highest in the league.

I am just tired of the David Carr era. I need a break...and I think the Texans need a new QB.

#6 rhester, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  7. ima_drummer2k

Well, let's just hope that other NFL GM's are as gullible as you. ;)

Me too.

8. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

I wonder if Salisbury watched many of the Texans' games this season. I'm not saying Carr was awful, but the completion percentage thing doesn't really mean much when most of the passes are short.

9. ima_drummer2k

SHHHHHH.....Don't tell anyone......we're trying to up his trade value.....SHHHHH

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I think this article is dead on: there simply isn't a trade market out there for David Carr so the Texans will trot him back out there next season and cross their fingers that improvement will come. This whole thing looks like CYA on their part so that come fall when the VYOF (Vince Young Only Fans) start screaming at them, they can point to this and say: "See, we tried to trade David but there were no takers so get over it!".

Unlike others here, I believe that the Texans are in something of a race with Tennessee to rebuild their teams and currently Tennessee is somewhat farther along in the rebuilding. They have both cap space & draft picks for 2007 that the Texans can't match and if they are smart they stand to really increase the gap between themselves and Houston. That's why this entire David Carr episode is so disheartening because it represents yet another setback for a franchise that's seen more that its share of them. And if you thought things were bad last season, just imagine what it would be like if VY leads the Titans to the playoffs while the Texans falter with Carr once again.

11. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

lol, it'll take more than smoke and mirrors i'm afraid.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:D Ha ha... I knew it. Go back to the " Okay.. so where is Carr going next year? " thread and see who in there was right... right? ;)

#12 SwoLy-D, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

im not one to get into the bickering back and forth crap about vince young and reggie bush and if the texans should have taken them.

but personally the texans would have had a fan in me if they would have taken VY. and now what they have is someone that actually roots for them to lose in a casual way. and someone that if they can catches a titans game so i can see how VY is adjusting to the NFL and rooting for them in a casual way to win because i like VY.

im not saying there are a ton of people out there like me, but i bet there are a few around. too bad they didnt select one of those guys it was pretty simple i assume they just over thought the situation and that can lead you to do the wrong thing sometimes.