1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Texans]Weary sues City of Houston over tasering.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Cannonball, Nov 13, 2007.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

well I bet the police department will after they lose this lawsuit. interesting you've already assumed that he was the problem.

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I'm sure he was very cordial, friendly and cooperative with the police.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yes, just how you should be after being pulled over for driving while black. interesting how you always absolve racism and say it was the accusers fault.

guys like you always say "i know racism exists" but when there's a case of it you are always quick to say it isn't. interesting

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

maybe a large black man has to be extra cordial because its okay to feel threatened by one.

5. MR. MEOWGI

I talk to cops like they were my grandmother. I have learned the hard way also. I make no sudden moves, smile, and do everything possible to make them feel not threatened. Being pulled over is always a tense situation. They appreciate it when you make it easier for them. There is no doubt in my mind that Weary could have handled the situation differently where he wouldn't have been arrested or tasered.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you don't what happened between weary in the cops, have you ever been pulled over as a suspect to a crime. i believe at the time, the cops were claiming they were looking to find a suspect for something.
    I've never had a problem with a cop because I know what I'm usually being pulled over for, speeding, stickers, etc.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2661948

According to the police report, the incident began when officers noticed a Chevy Impala SS driving in an area near Reliant Stadium where police are on alert due to criminal activity. They noticed the driver "looking very suspicious" as he looked back and forth at the police several times. Weary was pulled over after police followed the car and noticed that it did not have a front license plate.

its hard to remain cordial in a situation like that. the excuse, "criminal activity" in the area sounds like bs, and that's what the cops said.

7. MR. MEOWGI

I think it is illegal not to have a front plate. So he was mad that he got pulled over and took it out on the police. There's the problem. I have been pulled over for looking suspicion for driving a crappy car in a nice neighborhood etc. It happens. If you are clean and friendly they will let you. Big Weary had and attitude, the lady cop felt threatened and it went downhill from there. Again, he could have handled it differently.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

first of all, read the article again, the cops had interest in him before the license plaete. second of all, the cops could have handled it differently, don't be so quick to use your taser.

the taser issue hasn't started with fred weary. there have been complaints that cops are a little to eager to use the device since it isn't leathal. a "better safe than sorry" attitude I guess. the cops are the professionals in these situations, the onus is on them to "handle it differently"

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

10. MR. MEOWGI

If you kiss ass you are much more likely to not be given a ticket. (and tasered)

I act almost happy to see them. It really works.

1991 was a different story...

11. UIW Rocket

UIW Rocket Contributing Member

Obviously, you don't know many cops!!! Notice that the report states the police said, not any eye witness accounts. The police realized that they screwed up and decided to cover their A_S!!! They lie, just like everyone else, when they think that their livelihood is on the line.

12. kevwun

kevwun Member

If he really did push the cop, do you think the city would have dropped the charges because of lack of evidence? Pushing a cop is an open and shut assault charge.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't see this mentioned:

The female officer who did the tasering is one of the most prolific taserers in all of HPD. I don't remember the exact details but she is either incredibly unlucky to be in all these situations where she is the reciepient of agression, or she has a penchant for using it at the drop of a hat.

I think Weary has a pretty good case that the woman responded inappropriately.

14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

None of you know what really happened, so it would be respectful of all of you to not rush to judgment against the members of HPD. They are busting it to protect us every day. How about some respect for the very difficult job they do for us?

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You're right. That doesn't put them above the law, though.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yes, everyone is always disrespecting the police on this forum. I know the HPD have had problems with tasering people, i've never heard of fred weary having a problem with the law.

17. surrender

surrender Member

Coincidentally, there's an uproar in Canada right now over a case where officers tasered and killed a Polish immigrant at the Vancouver airport, while a bystander recorded the entire proceedings on his digital camera:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/11/14/bc-taservideo.html

Tasers aren't something to be used lightly, especially in situations where the person is highly stressed out.

18. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Sorry, but your credibility just nose-dived.

Fred Weary involved in nightclub fight
    http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=5363373

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro