1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans want to upgrade the scoreboards at Reliant

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DreamRoxCoogFan, Dec 12, 2012.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

replacement...upgrade....now you're splitting hairs. I mean, typically if you replace an older item you do so with an upgrade. The scoreboard is 10 years old so it does have a decent amount of age and is certainly older technology and has limited capabilities. Bottom line , there was money set aside for Reliant to use as seen fit and this is one of those cases. It's not that crazy of a request.

16 million is not really that excessive in the scheme of a $354 million dollar structure. It's like putting in a decent sound system in an older car.

Maybe the NFL spearhead does help the cause but then you're just showing anger at the mob...not reliant.

Again, this just seems like way more outrage than is needed and as a Houstonian I appreciate them keeping Reliant a cutting edge and attractive building....afterall, we see what happens when a stadium ins't taken care of

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm pointing out that the idea the money was "set aside for stuff like this" is debateable (which is why its going to a vote in the first place), and it doesn't make it 1) a necessity and 2) we don't actually have the money yet.

The money was not set aside for "Reliant to use as it sees fit", the money was set aside for the HCSCC (essentially, Harris County) to use as it sees fit on Reliant Park. It's not a crazy request, as the boards do need updating. It is, however, crappy to ask the taxpayers to fund the whole thing.

What?

I want Reliant to be sexified too, but Uncle Bob and the Rodeo (both of whom profit handsomely off the publicly funded stadium and convention center) could offer to help out a little.

#82 DonnyMost, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I'm not liking this TEXANS FAN on TEXANS FAN violence. :( You guys, stop it... stop this nonsense NOW... NOW!

It's OVER!

Sincerely,
    [​IMG]

Dr. Hammond

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just saying that I don't see why Reliant using the NFL as their key motivating factor is something so bad....and really, I have no idea if they are using the NFL as a "spearhead". Maybe that's just what the article picked up on since it would get more attention. Either way, there is a lot of guessing going on from our outside position.

If a renter requests that upgrades need to be made, and those upgrades are approved, then the tenant wouldn't be asked to foot the bill...no matter how rich they are.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Maybe it's just me but going by this premise why do people get so up at arms about public housing then? Poor tenants living in Publicly funded houses with window unit A/Cs. If they were to write an article about how those people wanted newer "amenities" like Bob people would be just as upset.

Reliant is a publicly built and owned stadium and just because Bob wants an unnecessary upgrade (the screen still works right?) doesn't mean we should allow it.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Arlington is like 20-25 minutes from Dallas. Santa Clara is at MINIMUM, an hour from San Francisco. In traffic, it can take 2 hours, I've made the drive hundreds of times.

7. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

What about funding for economic zones to boost the economy? What about giving tax incentives to businesses so that they'll do business here, thus boosting the local economy? Should we stop that? How about fixing up or rebuilding older schools to make neighborhoods more attractive to families who might want to move there, thus raising property values and helping the local economy? Because that's what this is, right? They want to put money into the stadium in order to draw events here that would then provide a boost to the local economy, correct?

The economic impact of drawing these events grants an increased revenue stream for taxpayers on their investment in building this stadium in the first place. The deed is done. It's built. Why in the world would you have a stadium built with public funds sitting there getting older by the day, falling behind the technology of every similar building in the country and not want to make the necessary upgrades to keep it a top flight facility? You don't wait until it's falling apart (see: Houston Astrodome) before making the necessary upgrades. You do it as you go.

Leave old scoreboards because they still work? Jesus. Why don't we just uninstall the old scoreboards in the Dome and put them in? They're even cheaper to use. Might as well recycle.

1 person likes this.
  8. TheMountainTop

amen to that

9. DreamRoxCoogFan

The rodeo doesn't really need new scoreboards- they get that giant center speaker/screen thing for the month that has great resolution. Same with basketball/final four events. The Texans need the screens more than anyone else

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am not against a new scoreboard, but don't they really need an improved playing surface?

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The playing surface is fine. A bunch of people b****ing because they don't know anything. Grass grows.........you bring it in.

Now, using field turf for all non-Texans games will improve the wear and tear on the grass field...since only the Texans will use it.

As for the scoreboard, It's happening.....accept it.

12. body slam

body slam Member

I'm all about being thrifty and saving money. But sometimes you have to spend money to make money. If replacing the score board will bring another Super Bowl to town then I'm for it. Not a score board but a Super Bowl could help Houston become a sexy city for events. Events that could help the local economy.

13. DreamRoxCoogFan

I don't know, the whole tray system seems like a mess. It looks bad on TV and players regularly complain about it. You can tell that there are squares there rather than a whole cohesive unit. It looks inconsistent from square to square. I think that's also why the cardinals stadium and cowboys stadium jumped to the newer technology of moving the whole field when they built their new stadium rather than do what the Texans do.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

i actually do hate the idea or corporate welfare and incentives for huge businesses.

Apples and oranges there. One is a private for profit that makes money for itself and what? Maybe 4 surrounding hotels? Lets not even mention the amount of DUIs coming out after 5pm.

The other is a public and non profit learning institution that pays its employees yearly what an NFL player makes in a game or two.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Only the Cardinals stadium does that. Cowboys have field turf.

16. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

Let's keep worrying about a 16 million dollar scoreboard, while the city of Houston gives 138 million dollars worth of incentives for a hotel project.

Downtown Hotel Project

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think we're gonna get a lot more ROI on a hotel than a scoreboard.

18. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Sure will.

That is one swanky looking hotel and the pool is nice .

I wonder where all the homeless people will go?

19. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

Not the mention the taxes on the people who stay there going to the fund that helps to pay for the scoreboard. :)

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member